• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Folks,

In working on my other thread regarding M1 Carbine ammo issues, I check one M1 Carbine, and it passed headspacing (closed on go, partially closed on no-go, and did not close on field).

I decided to check a second one, and got different results. It closed on go, closed on no-go, and did not close on field.

Both rifles were tested with gauges that required bolt disassembly (Forster type).

In reading up, it is saying that it is ~ok to shoot (due to not closing on field), but recommends changing bolts. The question I have is:

Is the bolt change enough? Does the barrel need to be changed?

Any information from the MDS Knowledge Trust (MKT) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I’d like to get mine tested. I shoot it without issues however makes you wonder. However purchasing gauges for each caliber can get quite expensive

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    What's the risk if headspace is excessive? 30 Carbine is a straight wall cartridge. Since the cartridge headspaces off the case mouth, you might get light primer strikes or misfires. But you won't get an explosion.

Obviously the military wants a gun that goes bang every time, so failed headspace would be an issue for them. Does it matter in this case?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The rifle fires fine, so no real issue at this time. I understand that bolt replacement may help, but it may not due to the wear on the replacement bolt. I don't think barrel adjustment is possible, so a new barrel would be in order.

Planning now for future projects.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom