• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    This particular BCG had only about 3k rounds on it - entirely 5.56. Noticed the bolt was moving a little to freely in the BCG on last cleaning and stood it on end. Sure enough, carrier dropped down immediately. Pulled the rings to replace (and since I planned to replace I wasn’t gentle about it). You can see one of the three looks like it has either worn excessively or partially shorn off.

Note, the rifle was cycling just fine at last use so manual inspection was the only way to discover. Inside of my BCG appears ok and now that the rings are replaced it passes the gravity test. But those functioning gas rings are there for a reason. Thought I would share because I think standard thinking is 10k rounds on the rings...

Attachments

• 994E173A-E582-49FF-AAC5-A2FCB53571AE.jpg
      994E173A-E582-49FF-AAC5-A2FCB53571AE.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 636

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Some guns can erode as fast as 500 rounds, but that is usually indicative of a problem with the quality of the gas rings or the condition of the bore in the carrier.

Gas Ring Erosion is more aggressive in short barrels, short gas systems, and with suppressor use.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Some guns can erode as fast as 500 rounds, but that is usually indicative of a problem with the quality of the gas rings or the condition of be bore in the carrier.

Gas Ring Erosion is more aggressive in short barrels, short gas systems, and with suppressor use.

That is what I suspected.:thumbsup:

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Some guns can erode as fast as 500 rounds, but that is usually indicative of a problem with the quality of the gas rings or the condition of be bore in the carrier.

Good ESP! 10.5” with a krinkov style muzzle device. BCG was Bravo Company

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I just experienced my first worn gas ring. The BCG in question is a Palmetto State Armory "Premium BCG". It was riding inside a brand new upper with 16" barrel and a mid-length gas system. After about 700 rounds the gas ring closest to the bolt face has a larger than normal gap in it and the bolt will slide in and out of the carrier with little resistance. However the rifle fired and cycled just fine in my most recent session at the range. Much of the brass was ending up at my "4 o'clock position".

Now I wonder how many more rounds I can fire before the gun fails to cycle, or if I should I replace them right away to prevent excessive wear.

It never crossed my mind that gas rings could be of different quality, but it is plausible that low cost BCGs need to cut costs somewhere, or everywhere. I just purchased some generic looking gas rings from Amazon, and plan to purchase a couple "Colt OEM" parts to see if there is a difference.

For comparison I checked the BCG on a Rock River Arms upper which also has a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system, but with about 4,000 rounds fired through it. And to my surprise the gas rings in this BCG are still fine, it still supports the weight of the carrier when the assembled BCG is stood up against the bolt face.

Some guns can erode as fast as 500 rounds, but that is usually indicative of a problem with the quality of the gas rings or the condition of the bore in the carrier.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I just experienced my first worn gas ring. The BCG in question is a Palmetto State Armory "Premium BCG". It was riding inside a brand new upper with 16" barrel and a mid-length gas system. After about 700 rounds the gas ring closest to the bolt face has a larger than normal gap in it and the bolt will slide in and out of the carrier with little resistance. However the rifle fired and cycled just fine in my most recent session at the range. Much of the brass was ending up at my "4 o'clock position".

Now I wonder how many more rounds I can fire before the gun fails to cycle, or if I should I replace them right away to prevent excessive wear.

It never crossed my mind that gas rings could be of different quality, but it is plausible that low cost BCGs need to cut costs somewhere, or everywhere. I just purchased some generic looking gas rings from Amazon, and plan to purchase a couple "Colt OEM" parts to see if there is a difference.

For comparison I checked the BCG on a Rock River Arms upper which also has a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system, but with about 4,000 rounds fired through it. And to my surprise the gas rings in this BCG are still fine, it still supports the weight of the carrier when the assembled BCG is stood up against the bolt face.

They are super cheap. Replace them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom