• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'm asking the following question because I've done some research and haven't been able to find a definitive answer:

I've had an AR-15 for a couple of years and have been considering swapping out the A2 upper for a flattop. Before I take the leap, are there any land mines with respect to Maryland law that I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The only thing you would have to worry about is barrel length, and that is if you are not just getting a stripper flattop upper, but a complete flattop upper. As long as the barrel length is 16"+, you should be fine. Otherwise, I don't see anything to worry about.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is the current pre-10/1/13 upper a heavy barrel upper?

If no: do whatever you want.

If yes: you may only replace it with another HBAR upper.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I'm asking the following question because I've done some research and haven't been able to find a definitive answer:

I've had an AR-15 for a couple of years and have been considering swapping out the A2 upper for a flattop. Before I take the leap, are there any land mines with respect to Maryland law that I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

What kind of AR-15? Was it purchased as an HBAR originally? Was it ever registered?

Rob.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    What kind of AR-15? Was it purchased as an HBAR originally? Was it ever registered?

Rob.

Details: It was not an HBAR. It was a "compliant" Bushmaster XM-15 E2S with a non-removable carry handle. The complete upper I'm looking at is the Bushmaster Varminter which has a 24" extra heavy barrel.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If it was a MD-regulated purchase prior to 10/1/13, you can buy whatever upper you want (NFA aside).

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    If it was a MD-regulated purchase prior to 10/1/13, you can buy whatever upper you want (NFA aside).

It was regulated when I bought it and it was not an HBAR, so it sounds like I'm good as long as the barrel is 16" or longer. If there are issues I'm sure the supplier I choose will be quick to let me know.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You're fine then. Buy what you want.

You can also get a 14.5" barrel with pinned/welded flash hider or brake. The lightweight ones from BCM are so damned nice. :D

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    You're fine then. Buy what you want.

You can also get a 14.5" barrel with pinned/welded flash hider or brake. The lightweight ones from BCM are so damned nice. :D

Don't tempt me. I'm trying to avoid the "kid in a candy store" syndrome. I'm looking to step up the accuracy, but still be able to fall back to the old configuration. The Varminter has a neat, clean look to it and has gotten good reviews for the purpose I plan to use it. Down the road a better trigger will probably tempt me.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Understood. You can improve the trigger for $ with the ALG ACT if you don't want to make the big price jump to two-stage.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, if you are going with a heavy barrel upper, you might as well get a cheap lower and just build yourself a HBAR. Might as well have two guns while the getting is good. Thought about this yesterday while driving, but it took me this long to remember to post it. lol

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    you can put anything on a bushmaster. I have to admit I never thought about the bonus's of them being banned. If you own it it has to be pre 10/1 no arguements there.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    you can put anything on a bushmaster. I have to admit I never thought about the bonus's of them being banned. If you own it it has to be pre 10/1 no arguements there.

That's one thing I'd like to see Hogan fix. He could have the MSP look into the interpretation of that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom