• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayB0311

Nov 10, 2014
    Bowie
    I was talking to some friends and they said honorably discharged vets don't need an HQL. Can anyone confirm this? Much appreciated!!

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

-A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    -Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    -Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    -A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    -Maryland licensed firearms dealers.
    -Gang members and violent criminals in and out of jail.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    honorably discharged do not need the prerec safety course but still need hql.

Yep, still need the HQL but not the training

(E) AN APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IS
    NOT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING COURSE UNDER SUBSECTION (C) (D) OF THIS SECTION IF THE APPLICANT:
    (4) IS AN HONORABLY DISCHARGED MEMBER OF THE
    ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE NATIONAL GUARD

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    You still need to get the HQL. But as said you are training exempt.
    If you apply, just submit a copy of your DD214.

JayB0311

Nov 10, 2014
    Bowie
    So pretty much....no active ID....no dice.

I guess I'll just become a gang member or violent criminal. Seems easier.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

-A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    -Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    -Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    -A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    -Maryland licensed firearms dealers.
    -Gang members and violent criminals in and out of jail.

Love the last bullet. That's a good one.:lol:

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    What about the "Veteran" provison you can get on your license at the DMV? I Was in the Air National guard for 6 years, did two tours in the sand box, was honorable discharged, but was never given a veteran's card.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What about the "Veteran" provison you can get on your license at the DMV? I Was in the Air National guard for 6 years, did two tours in the sand box, was honorable discharged, but was never given a veteran's card.

If I were an fll, I wouldn't trust any mva clerk for anything. You think they know exactly what they are looking at?
    Seems to me, if you are a combat veteran, you have ways of getting id.

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    If I were an fll, I wouldn't trust any mva clerk for anything. You think they know exactly what they are looking at?
    Seems to me, if you are a combat veteran, you have ways of getting id.

I was a POG. P.O.L, Flight line refuler. I was told by a Navy veteran about the license provision. I also know the Air / National Guard has different ways of doing things as oppse to active duty military.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MSP wants a copy of your DD214 to exempt you from training.

For exempt from HQL, you need an Active (AD or Reserve) or Retired ID card.

Veteran on your DL or license plate does nothing for you.

Nathaniel

Nathan
    Oct 29, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    VA ID Card

180 days make you a Vet. Take your DD Form 214 or NGB 22 to the VA and request a VA ID card. Note you don't have to have a VA claims or a claims pending for a VA ID card.
    The ID card will show that you are a Vet.

Don't go around showing or giving your 214 to everyone, You have a lot of personnel information on that document. Safe guard it!

Last edited:

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    180 days make you a Vet. Take your DD Form 214 or NGB 22 to the VA and request a VA ID card. Note you don't have to have a VA claims or a claims pending for a VA ID card.

Don't go around showing or giving your 214 to everyone, You have a lot of personnel information on that document. Safe guard it!

Thank you for your reply. I will do just that.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Funny reading the MVA stuff. When I renewed my license the lady asked if I wanted the veteran symbol on it. She asked if I had my 214 with me, I said no but I have my retired ID card. I was then informed that was not a form of proof of service that they could use. And they ask why I drink.....

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013

I tried doing that at VA but it didn't work. Said I had to have a rating or be a retiree to get one.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

MSP will NOT take the veteran card for the training exemption, they require the DD214.

The Veteran card does NOT exempt you from the HQL.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    As a retired veteran of the US Army, I will never comply with the process of
    a HQL or give the state a copy of my DD214. that's a nunya for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom