• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    The Q5 Match Steel model is the new hot pistol. Looks sweet as hell.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    When you get the shadow 2, buy an extended firing pin and 8 pound hammer spring. You'll get down to 4 pounds double action, 2 pounds single.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    If you only want to shoot steel challenge then I change my answer to a Q5 Match. Original not the steel frame. I like a lighter, plastic gun for faster transitions when shooting steel challenge.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    not to change the topic but it sounds as if you're feeling better good news

At least I think I feel better, lol

My wife and son are pushing me to find something to do other than work and sitting in my chair and going to the drs since that’s about all I have done for the last 6 months since my surgery

And shooting is just the thing to do it. But if I am gonna shoot I want to do as good as I can.

Thanks for saying it sounds like I am feeling better because I was wondering if it was noticeable lol.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Since we're on the subject ... what would the brain trust recommend for a wife with smaller hands. She's got a single-stack gun she loves to shoot, but I'm talking about something double-stacky. Ideally, it'd be something with a slide that's friendly to less hand strength, and pleasant recoil. Do any of the non-insanely-expensive competition-friendly 9's sport a grip configuration aimed at female shooters?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Just have her use single stack and practice mag insertions if she is comfortable with it. That is what breeds confidence. The 2011 one grips can be shaped to need but not sure how narrow they can be shaped.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since we're on the subject ... what would the brain trust recommend for a wife with smaller hands. She's got a single-stack gun she loves to shoot, but I'm talking about something double-stacky. Ideally, it'd be something with a slide that's friendly to less hand strength, and pleasant recoil. Do any of the non-insanely-expensive competition-friendly 9's sport a grip configuration aimed at female shooters?

CZ P-07.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Any thoughts on the Taurus OSS 24/7 in 9mm. The write up seemed to lay out it's readiness for competition. As soon as the cash allows I'm looking at the 45cal version. They've come down a good bit in price since I first looked at them. Not too many taurus fans I'm guessing and everyone is more up to date on the newest guns available.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Any thoughts on the Taurus OSS 24/7 in 9mm. The write up seemed to lay out it's readiness for competition. As soon as the cash allows I'm looking at the 45cal version. They've come down a good bit in price since I first looked at them. Not too many taurus fans I'm guessing and everyone is more up to date on the newest guns available.

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Browning Hi Power has always been my go to for people with smaller hands.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Browning Hi Power has always been my go to for people with smaller hands.

I wouldn't say I have small hands but I love the feel of my Hi Power with Hogue grips. I'd say the recoil is normal for a full size 9mm and the slide is much easier to grip than a CZ 75 variant.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm appreciating the info, here, as it's offered up. How about stepping back (or up?) to 30,000 feet and hearing some broader thoughts about the operating systems people are using, and why. Meaning, DA/SA, SA-Only, safeties, de-cockers, hammers/strikers, how people are holstering (in what state) after they make ready on the line, that sort of thing. Obviously different games are going to have different rules ... but I think a lot of people start to look into this sort of fun while coming from years of using more practical, carry-oriented guns that I'm assuming are a significant disadvantage or just plain annoying to use in the context of banging away at steel in runs of five shots at a time, etc.

Assume (for discussion) that many readers here have never been near a race gun or understand the nuances of why things evolve the way they do. I suspect that a lot of people would opt for something not like a pimped-out competition gun, but more for a duty-style gun that's still a better fit for competition than what they might otherwise own or carry. Thanks in advance for thoughts! Hitting google for clear discussion on this is a minefield, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom