• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Thank you very much. you are the person I had hoped would see this post. Like I thought it makes no sense but in government it makes perfect sense. Sorry to those that didn't like me putting this in the 2a forum but I wanted a lot of people to see it and get the answer I got. Still seems like a huge waste of money.

I've seen these also and I have no problem with them planting on overgrown unused parcels, but today they planted them in FARM FIELDS along 152. I Know the state has a right of way for hiway improvements since they took peoples property in the early 50's to build 152, but to plant trees in what people maintain as their front yard and cropland that is actively farmed is WRONG.:mad54:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    OK, bear with me. SHA has its own federally mandated runoff reduction requirement under the state of MD's "reduction goal" since SHA owns so much pavement, bridges, garages, etc. that all contribute nasty runoff to the Bay (no fee/tax...it's an unfunded mandate). To make sure that SHA did not cry to Federal Highways (FHwA) about the huge cost of their compliance with the federal mandate, the O'Malley Administration did in fact ask SHA, "Hey how about we just add to the SHA budget to sweeten the issue for you." They did that, to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars in 2013, and lo and behold, SHA is actually putting the money in the ground. Trees planted, ponds updated with better pollution reduction technology, urban gullies repaired where road runoff blew out the stream 50 years ago, it's all good but expensive stuff.

I am fully on board with re-doing the runoff management for the road, dry-wells, rain-gardens all that good stuff. What I am not on board is with SHA use of coarse rip-rap in the right of way in a way that turns a minor excursion off the roadway into a totaled car or dead motorcyclist.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I am fully on board with re-doing the runoff management for the road, dry-wells, rain-gardens all that good stuff. What I am not on board is with SHA use of coarse rip-rap in the right of way in a way that turns a minor excursion off the roadway into a totaled car or dead motorcyclist.

Completely agree, and if that cable barrier had existed where I had to put down in 2002, I'd be dead.

But, when people sue because the trees in the median were the "cause" of their drunk teen's death :sad20:, or because someone was hurt due to a vehicle coming across when a driver just HAD to answer a text, these are the sorts of things we end up with.

Hell... there are people who want all the trees in the median of the BW PARKway removed, because they MIGHT be a danger...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    But, when people sue because the trees in the median were the "cause" of their drunk teen's death :sad20:, or because someone was hurt due to a vehicle coming across when a driver just HAD to answer a text, these are the sorts of things we end up with.

Hell... there are people who want all the trees in the median of the BW PARKway removed, because they MIGHT be a danger...

It is funny, one thing I remember from visiting maryland many years back was the neat way how they have 4 lane highways with a wide median like in the midwest. Not ugly 'jersey barriers' like up in well Jersey, not the '4 lanes and no breakdown' setup in NY. The nice wide state highways is something I just remember from back then. In the last 2-3 years, all those guardrails and cheese-graters are starting to clutter up the medians, even in places where it is so wide that anything but an 18 wheeler will just roll out before it gets into oncoming traffic.

Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    OK, here are the actual facts - no spin. Ignore the rain tax for a minute. The Bay TMDL "Pollution Diet," which is the federal mandate requiring each state in the watershed to clean up about 25-40% of its water pollution by 2025, is the driving force of all of this. It was finalized in December 2010. EPA fought it in federal court (they really don't want to do all that extra work) and lost. The Farm Bureau fought it in federal court (they don't want farmers to foot the bill) and lost. So there it is. A requirement to get the crap out of the water, literally and figuratively, by 2025.

If it doesn't happen, the federal penalties will start slamming state and county agencies in 2026. Look up "Baltimore Consent Decree" for an eye opener of what that nightmare looks like.

OK, bear with me. SHA has its own federally mandated runoff reduction requirement under the state of MD's "reduction goal" since SHA owns so much pavement, bridges, garages, etc. that all contribute nasty runoff to the Bay (no fee/tax...it's an unfunded mandate). To make sure that SHA did not cry to Federal Highways (FHwA) about the huge cost of their compliance with the federal mandate, the O'Malley Administration did in fact ask SHA, "Hey how about we just add to the SHA budget to sweeten the issue for you." They did that, to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars in 2013, and lo and behold, SHA is actually putting the money in the ground. Trees planted, ponds updated with better pollution reduction technology, urban gullies repaired where road runoff blew out the stream 50 years ago, it's all good but expensive stuff.

Maintenance, of course, is a real issue. The sun will set on this huge amount of money (this is where the rain tax comes BACK in) and putting "new projects" into the ground. And just as our society has always had a major issue with infrastructure maintenance, each one of these roadside trees, each roadside pond, are "infrastructure." If they die, it means not only that money was wasted, but that the environmental benefits aren't happening (which means more money will have to be spent).

We can argue about the rain tax all day, but is the "rain tax" any different than the county raising your property tax by 1% to get the same money? Ultimately, the feds are demanding that the state of MD (and thus, each county) clean up the creeks and rivers, and you and I are going to pay that bill one way or the other. The EPA has kicked the can down the road for 40 years on the topic, and now they're being held to their own rules, so unfortunately for our tax bill for the next 10 (15?) years, it means our generation gets to pay for it. That's an important thing to understand.

Then why was $1.2bil raided from 4 "Save the Bay" funds and spent? (Just asking if anyone can make sense of that.)

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    Then why was $1.2bil raided from 4 "Save the Bay" funds and spent? (Just asking if anyone can make sense of that.)

That was from the "flush tax" sewer plant upgrade fee. It happened because "someone" needed quick money for "something," and both the Repubs and Democrats refused to enact a "lock box" legislation (which *is* included in the rain tax law..3 years later).

The money from the flush fee *WAS* returned to the fund, I believe within a year, but it caused enormous (very understandable) political damage and taxpayer blowback, and well, they (O'Malley administration) should have expected that. Now they've paid for it politically.

Can't levy new taxes and then use it for "funny money" because it undercuts the idea that the new tax was necessary. That was a huge political miscalculation. We'll be talking about it for another decade.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That's funny someone is planting trees on shoulders where roads need to be eventually widened a lane per direction.

I had some relatives that lived in a home on 22, behind the cemetary right before 543. All throughout the 70's surveyors came out, dreaming about making Route 22 two lanes from Aberdeen to Bel Air. SHA has their project that's active now to widen 22 just in Aberdeen.

Back in the late 90's, Route 715 in Aberdeen could have been extended to an I95 exit. This would have eminent domain a few properties, and created too many exits on 95 in a short distance on one hand, the other is thay routes 40 and 22 would not deal with the miles long stop and go in present day. They dumped money on the cloverleaf and 22 overpass in Aberdeen instead.

Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    That was from the "flush tax" sewer plant upgrade fee. It happened because "someone" needed quick money for "something," and both the Repubs and Democrats refused to enact a "lock box" legislation (which *is* included in the rain tax law..3 years later).

The money from the flush fee *WAS* returned to the fund, I believe within a year, but it caused enormous (very understandable) political damage and taxpayer blowback, and well, they (O'Malley administration) should have expected that. Now they've paid for it politically.

Can't levy new taxes and then use it for "funny money" because it undercuts the idea that the new tax was necessary. That was a huge political miscalculation. We'll be talking about it for another decade.
    Very well put, although I understand some of the money was replaced but with interest costing bonds? Or was that the gasoline tax for road projects that was hit also? All I know is my Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund charge seemed to have doubled at some point a few years ago. At least the drunks have left the party...we can hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom