• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I take issue with this advice.

Those who have attended the recent HPRB meetings, and follow the increasing arrest numbers of those carrying outside of their restrictions would probably agree.

Hopefully, this pattern will change in the next several months.

How many people are we talking? And I presume this is just an appeal stage to get their permit back? (after charges dropped or found not guilty?)

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    What is HPRB? What arrests?

Blaster is correct in the definition.

It is now illegal to carry outside of your permit restrictions and the MSP are actively enforcing this. It is my understanding that so far they are going after younger folks and folks like EMT's that received a permit for their job. That is my understanding but I am not 100% on it.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster is correct in the definition.

It is now illegal to carry outside of your permit restrictions and the MSP are actively enforcing this. It is my understanding that so far they are going after younger folks and folks like EMT's that received a permit for their job. That is my understanding but I am not 100% on it.

What do you mean by "now illegal"? I thought it always was.

Where is "your understanding" coming from? How exactly are they "going after" people? Virtually all MD wear and carry permits are restricted. Do they now have a task force to follow and stop these people to see if they are carrying?

I thought the purpose of the review board was to give people who were denied a chance to have somewhat of a due process to make their case. Are you saying this review board is actually following up on and investigating permits that have been approved to find a way to take them back?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    It has always been illegal to carry outside of the parameters of your restrictions. The difference now is that a violation of restrictions brings the possibility of severe punishment as you will be considered to be carrying w/o a permit. whereas previous to FAS 2013 the punishment was simply the possibility of revocation of your permit.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    What do you mean by "now illegal"? I thought it always was.

Where is "your understanding" coming from? How exactly are they "going after" people? Virtually all MD wear and carry permits are restricted. Do they now have a task force to follow and stop these people to see if they are carrying?

I thought the purpose of the review board was to give people who were denied a chance to have somewhat of a due process to make their case. Are you saying this review board is actually following up on and investigating permits that have been approved to find a way to take them back?

Previous to the new laws, there was no law that I am aware of that made carrying outside of your restrictions a criminal act, it is now though.

My understanding come from some MSP folks I know and yes, they are going out after some people and checking to make sure they are not carrying outside of their restrictions. I do not know what the criteria are to pick these folks out and I already pointed out the ones that I was told about.

I can't answer to what the entire purpose of the review board is, hopefully someone with more knowledge of their full scope of authority could answer that for you.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Previous to the new laws, there was no law that I am aware of that made carrying outside of your restrictions a criminal act, it is now though.

My understanding come from some MSP folks I know and yes, they are going out after some people and checking to make sure they are not carrying outside of their restrictions. I do not know what the criteria are to pick these folks out and I already pointed out the ones that I was told about.

I can't answer to what the entire purpose of the review board is, hopefully someone with more knowledge of their full scope of authority could answer that for you.
    MSP checking? How can they do this?
    Get a list of permit holders and track them down? Sounds like bs to me. Maybe stop and frisk like New York. Maryland is not a must inform state.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not sure how they can do that other than point at the ammo log years ago. It didn't last long the few spurts in MD history it existed as far as I know, but it also didn't involve lots of resources and man hours to obtain the "information" they were looking for (whatever the agenda was).

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Before SB281, it was unlawful to carry outside of your restrictions, but some judges felt the law was not clear and would not convict.

The MSP would typically revoke the permit though.

The issue typically arises when someone is pulled over for something like a traffic defense and declares the firearm or produces the permit, or after a self defense incident.

Recently a licensed and permitted medical professional was allegedly arrested for carrying a handgun while transporting sedatives when his restrictions stated narcotics. He was originally stopped for a minor traffic charge, exceeding the speed limit.

I am also hearing and have first hand knowledge that many physicians and other professionals, are not being approved for renewal by the licensing division or the HPRB.

Hopefully this subjective standard and hostility towards civil rights will lesson upon the departing of the current administration.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Before SB281, it was unlawful to carry outside of your restrictions, but some judges felt the law was not clear and would not convict.

The MSP would typically revoke the permit though.

The issue typically arises when someone is pulled over for something like a traffic defense and declares the firearm or produces the permit, or after a self defense incident.

Recently a licensed and permitted medical professional was allegedly arrested for carrying a handgun while transporting sedatives when his restrictions stated narcotics. He was originally stopped for a minor traffic charge, exceeding the speed limit. SNIP

I doubt that most cops even know the difference between the two, IE narcotic and sedative.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom