• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a silencerco Octane 9 pending approval and am doing research on the best 9mm pistol caliber carbine for me. After shooting an HK SP5, Sig MPX and CZ Scorpion (all unsuppressed) I came away thinking the MPX was my choice.

I see a lot of talk online and a few YouTube videos about the MPX throwing gas directly into the eyes of the shooter when suppressed. I imagine a higher backpressure suppressor like the Octane 9 I purchased would make this issue worse. That along with the fact that covid panic buying has driven their price up $700 has me leaning towards the CZ Scorpion. I have seen people on YouTube shooting the Scorpion suppressed with the Octane 9 not even wearing eye or ear pro.

Does anyone have first hand experience with shooting the MPX suppressed? If you have gas issues were you able to resolve them?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’ve just recently started shooting my CZ Scorpion (micro version) suppressed. No in-your-face problems, but the thing DOES get dirtier.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Most suppressed guns get dirty. Part of the deal. Magazines get dirty as well. Shoot...have fun...and clean as needed

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    The Scorpion solves the gas to the face issue. For the money and the aftermarket support I would go Scorpion!

I'm leaning that way. Defiantly easier to take follow up shots with the MPX, but its hard to tell how much of slower follow ups of the Scorpion was do to the higher recoil of the direct blow back design or the (easily fixable) 10lb stock trigger.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Hmm, well, ok, my experience is that 1- all suppressed weapons have some gas in the face to some degree; 2- piston action guns (vs direct blowback) have less gas in the face (the piston bleeds off some gas but it does not go to the chamber). It depends a lot how you shoot. If you mag dump with a suppressor, you will get gas in your face. If you shoot S L O W you wont. **

I have shot a suppressed Scorpion, it is a sweet shooter. I recall there being some gas (not zero).

** maybe the people who like to mag dump buy MPX, while the hipsters with CZs shoot precision???

ETA: you cant go wrong with either. I am simply not sure gas in your face (or lack thereof) should be the deciding factor. I would expect some either way.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Hmm, well, ok, my experience is that 1- all suppressed weapons have some gas in the face to some degree; 2- piston action guns (vs direct blowback) have less gas in the face (the piston bleeds off some gas but it does not go to the chamber). It depends a lot how you shoot. If you mag dump with a suppressor, you will get gas in your face. If you shoot S L O W you wont. **

I have shot a suppressed Scorpion, it is a sweet shooter. I recall there being some gas (not zero).

** maybe the people who like to mag dump buy MPX, while the hipsters with CZs shoot precision???

ETA: you cant go wrong with either. I am simply not sure gas in your face (or lack thereof) should be the deciding factor. I would expect some either way.

I would say that when shot unsuppressed the current iteration of MPX (Gen 3) is the best PCC available ( with possible exception of the apc9 which I have not shot). I understand that in theory a direct blowback design does not mitigate gas as much as a piston system.

And yet I see stuff like this online purporting gas blowback with my planned suppressor, the Octane 9.

Not just from the bloggers but on the forums too. I think perhaps there is something with the MPX's gas dependent and narrower window operating system that is causing excessive gas with some setups.

I would certainly be settling on the Scorpion, but in all my reading I am starting to think it may be one of the better options available, if i need something that is HD level reliable, small, and useable to the Octane 9. If B&T ships more GHM9's I would look hard at those. Angstadt Arms MPD9 could also be the perfect modern subgun if it is ever actually made.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    just hoping to clarify. I'm assuming the CZ Scorpion evo pistol requires a HQL while the carbine doesn't? Carbine having a folding stock means you can't have a flash hider or suppressor mount?

been thinking about picking up a scorpion and want to know what my options are. want to be able to use suppressor adapter.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My buddy is a lefty and has an MPX with an Omega 9K on it. As a righty, it isn't unmanageable for me, but as a lefty, he walks away from a mag dump looking like he just hopped out of a coal mine.

Welcome to the wonderful dirty world of running suppressed. I run a Mk18 dedicated suppressed, and while it still runs dirty, I found that the addition of slightly higher power buffer spring (Sprinco Blue), a heavier buffer, and a "gas busting" charging handle made it quite manageable. The spring and buffer made the greatest difference, and I speculate because it provided better lock time and therefore more of the gas went outward before coming back through the bolt. I'm convinced at this point that those fancy vented charging handles are nothing but smoke and mirrors.

While the MPX is a different platform, I speculate it may benefit from the same? Not sure if sig sells stronger springs, though.

Although I have limited experience with the CZ or other PDW style carbines, I can say undoubtedly that the MPX is one hell of a little package. We put over 1500 rounds through it over a weekend without a drop of additional oil and not a single malfunction.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    just hoping to clarify. I'm assuming the CZ Scorpion evo pistol requires a HQL while the carbine doesn't? Carbine having a folding stock means you can't have a flash hider or suppressor mount?

been thinking about picking up a scorpion and want to know what my options are. want to be able to use suppressor adapter.

A believe a suppressor/ flash hider is a evil feature and would count as a second after the folding stock.

I personally have zero desire to own a scorpion or any other pistol caliber carbine in rifle form with a 16 inch barrel. I think it defeats the purpose of a pistol caliber carbine.

If you want to keep it a rifle maybe look at that that ugly scorpion Bullpup kit by manticore arms. Or a magazine in grip design like the kel tec sub2k Or Beretta cx4.

Personally if I wanted something that size with fixed stock I’d look hard at an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine repro.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    A believe a suppressor/ flash hider is a evil feature and would count as a second after the folding stock.

I personally have zero desire to own a scorpion or any other pistol caliber carbine in rifle form with a 16 inch barrel. I think it defeats the purpose of a pistol caliber carbine.

If you want to keep it a rifle maybe look at that that ugly scorpion Bullpup kit by manticore arms. Or a magazine in grip design like the kel tec sub2k Or Beretta cx4.

Personally if I wanted something that size with fixed stock I’d look hard at an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine repro.

yeah same. guess I'm SOL fir the time being as I don't plan on getting my HQL just quite yet

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    yeah same. guess I'm SOL fir the time being as I don't plan on getting my HQL just quite yet

Terrible timing with the Rona gun economy/ availability, but the Kel Tec Sub2000 gen 2 has been 100% reliable for me and is a very compact gun in rifle format.

It lacks last round bolt hold open, the charging handle is in kind of a weird place and I feel like the ejection port is kind of close to my face and might be gassy when suppressed. That along with the cheap kel tec plastic feel is the only reason I’m looking to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom