• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I am a well known Luddite , whose fixed and finite small smidgen of computer knowledge will be soon considered illiterate , and in a couple years I'll be no longer able to participate on the internet . So what all y'all are saying leaves be blank .

But I'm curious . Is all this stuff for protecting Against Hackers , or so y'all can Be Hackers ?

For many of you who profess to be "Luddite" Cyberpatriot posted a free self paced guide designed to equip older citizens with the knowledge needed to stay protected from cyber-crimes.

Topic's covered

Introduction to Cybersecurity
    Password Management
    Common Internet Threats
    Internet Scams and Fraud
    Social Media Safety

https://www.uscyberpatriot.org/Pages/Special Initiatives/CyberGenerations-Overview.aspx

or a direct link

https://forms.gle/wj3q3h5Sd2YG9nHA8

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    hacking is very similar to lock picking. it is alot easier than people think.

ah....could be.."bump" k. Haven't kept up with like I should, oh well, played with BackTrack, Kali, Metasploit,IDA, a bunch
    of other Distro's, etc. Used to keep up on H.D. Moore "hacks of the week" years ago. Still have my lifetime script
    to 2600...Now more or less you have script kiddies. Anyway an interesting thread..sounds good.

-Rock

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting. My son is taking some class where they have hacker assignments. He is at UMD. I guess they learn hacking skills so they write more secure code.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Interesting. My son is taking some class where they have hacker assignments. He is at UMD. I guess they learn hacking skills so they write more secure code.
    First SANS course I took on securing web apps was alarmingly enlightening. At the time, I had no idea of the open source tools available... to everyone.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    First SANS course I took on securing web apps was alarmingly enlightening. At the time, I had no idea of the open source tools available... to everyone.

Most Hacking tools/apps are based on a non-Widows or OS(Apple) platform, most are open source and free, widows and OS limit how software works or interacts with systems. Spent a lot of my Tech years working the in gray hat world its pays very well and every day was like being a kid in the candy store.

If people knew what really goes on in IT they would be shocked or scared! It a game I build a lock and you work at opening it. :cool:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    where do you get the coupons to reduce the price?

They don't really have coupons that I've seen, you just have to wait for a sale. Sometimes the sales are not available to everyone, for instance, I wanted to get a certain class that was on sale for 15 dollars but when I logged in it changed the price pack to over 200 so that sale wasn't currently applying to me. I just waited a week or two and then there was another sale.

Basically the default is the sale but they periodically go back to 'regular' price for a while so people are influenced to jump on the 'deals' when the sale comes back.

noloader

Jeff Not G
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2022
    Pasadena, MD
    ... One of the classes I am taking now is an ‘ethical hacker’ course. As part of the course you learn a lot of hacking skills. One of the basic things we are learning now is setting up a hacker terminal using Kali Linux, and using a USB WiFi adapter set in ‘monitor’ mode to packet sniff networks.
    Once you develop and hone your skills PM me. I'll introduce you talk to a friend of mine for employment opportunities. He's an offensive security guy who owns his own security consultancy. He's not allowed to compete in Capture-the-Clag (CtF) anymore at places like BlackHat and Defcon. They just put him on the judge's panel.
    The next lesson is breaking the network encryption, and I’m no expert, but it is pretty scary how easily stuff can be hacked if you have the right tools. Once you break the encryption you can access user ids, passwords, attachments, chat messages, urls, etc from a target device.
    You usually don't go through encryption. You usually go around it. If you find you can break the encryption then its broken by design. Also see Schneier's Amateurs Produce Amateur Cryptography.

GiveMeABreak

Aug 14, 2020
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as an ethical hacker! Individuals that hack into a system should be persecuted. It is no fun to have your digital I’d stolen!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as an ethical hacker! Individuals that hack into a system should be persecuted. It is no fun to have your digital I’d stolen!

This is the exact same as saying there is no such thing as a good guy with a gun.

You really don't seem to know what you're talking about. Hacking is a skill, just like shooting, that can be used for good or for evil.

There is an entire industry built around ethical hacking, to help secure systems. You can't fix your security problems if you have no idea where the vulnerabilities are. You can't even claim your system is secure unless someone with the proper skill set has attempted to break your defenses.

GiveMeABreak

Aug 14, 2020
    This is the exact same as saying there is no such thing as a good guy with a gun.

You really don't seem to know what you're talking about. Hacking is a skill, just like shooting, that can be used for good or for evil.

There is an entire industry built around ethical hacking, to help secure systems. You can't fix your security problems if you have no idea where the vulnerabilities are. You can't even claim your system is secure unless someone with the proper skill set has attempted to break your defenses.
    It is called System Security not ethical hacking. I would be careful throwing the “you really don’t seem to know what you are talking about” Quote. That shows a level of arrogance on your part!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It is called System Security not ethical hacking. I would be careful throwing the “you really don’t seem to know what you are talking about” Quote. That shows a level of arrogance on your part!

BTDT.

You proved my point.

It isn't called system security by anyone who actually knows how to do it. That's a meaningless generic, overarching term that tells you nothing about what was done to ensure your 'system' is actually 'secure'.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I have my CEH, PIN, and ECSA ( I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express) and use it actually to see how the bad guys do things- proactive versus reactive. Also, helps with analyzing your own network and asset security, not just on site or in the cloud but in transit, as well. The DPL-SSI scared me due to the firewalls decrypting traffic and re-encrypting on the way out. Like legal man in the middle. :)

Not that I know anything about computers or anything. I read well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom