• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I have officially given up. I got the first screw out fine. But the second one is stripped. I mean really stripped.

Can a gunsmith fix this? At this point I just want to save the barrel. Idk about the gasblock to gas tube. I should have know when the bit snapped off.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been able to coax stripped hex screws with the right torx wrench. If you have an impact screw gun, that might help.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Is the bit broken off in the screw? If not, get a set of Craftsman spiral extractors from Lowes. They've saved me a few times.

If you think it's loctite, get a heat gun and let it get good and hot, then try the extractors.

Is there a chance it could be rocksett? If so, dunk it in boiling water for a while.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Is the bit broken off in the screw? If not, get a set of Craftsman spiral extractors from Lowes. They've saved me a few times.

If you think it's loctite, get a heat gun and let it get good and hot, then try the extractors.

Is there a chance it could be rocksett? If so, dunk it in boiling water for a while.

On the screw that came out any red residue would indicate Loctite, white would be rocksett

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "At this point I just want to save the barrel. Idk about the gasblock to gas tube."

Never mind backing out the screw. Dremel (or grinder) with a thin disk. Cut it off.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Heat it first till it smokes. Then go to Harbor Freight an buy the left hand drill bits ($3). It will come right out.

Or cut it (gas block) off.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    If you do end up hacking the gas block of your next question will be what has block as a replacement. Adjustable for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom