• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I really don't know what I want to do about this situation yet. I am an owner of "regulated" firearms, but no handguns. My three Engage lowers were my first-ever firearms purchases, not just my first purchases in MD.

I can't decide if I should wait to see what happens with any potential legal cases or just knuckle under and apply. Conceivably, I could just use my C&R to facilitate handgun purchases, but there are some modern pistols that interest me.

Applying is distasteful for three reasons:

1. It violates a fundamental civil right; something that the SCOTUS has claimed cannot be taxed/licensed in regards to, what appear to be, more favorable fundamental civil rights.
    2. It goes against the oath I swore in 1990 to uphold/defend the COTUS. Even though I no longer wear the uniform, I still view that oath as binding.
    3. O'Malley can use all of the applications as a win - "see, even the gun owners agree; look how many applied for my new process..."
    Not applying is, as others have mentioned, a blanket win for O'Malley, Curran, and their ilk.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I really don't know what I want to do about this situation yet. I am an owner of "regulated" firearms, but no handguns. My three Engage lowers were my first-ever firearms purchases, not just my first purchases in MD.

I can't decide if I should wait to see what happens with any potential legal cases or just knuckle under and apply. Conceivably, I could just use my C&R to facilitate handgun purchases, but there are some modern pistols that interest me.

Applying is distasteful for three reasons:

1. It violates a fundamental civil right; something that the SCOTUS has claimed cannot be taxed/licensed in regards to, what appear to be, more favorable fundamental civil rights.
    2. It goes against the oath I swore in 1990 to uphold/defend the COTUS. Even though I no longer wear the uniform, I still view that oath as binding.
    3. O'Malley can use all of the applications as a win - "see, even the gun owners agree; look how many applied for my new process..."
    Not applying is, as others have mentioned, a blanket win for O'Malley, Curran, and their ilk.

Go Buy a handgun before Oct 1st. You will still need to get a HQL for additional purchases but you will be exempt from the Training Requirement.

Wood5443

Sep 23, 2012
    Lexington Park
    MSP licensing Div is currently working on May 11th forms

Question - based on this date what is the odds that they will say that on 1 October that you have to get a HQL even though you already have possession long before 1 October because they (MSP) are so far behind on paper work? i would think not the case but I have not seen anything "official".

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I think it's of popular opinion that you'll need a HQL after Oct 1 to pick up your hand gun that you may have already bought prior to oct 1 while waiting on MSP nd. So if you paid $500 for a M&P with 2 17 round mags and now it's oct 2 will you get your gun minus the mags? Will you be refunded the cost of the mags? Will they give it to you at all? Or are you just plain screwed?

Daniel87

Jan 10, 2013
    Phoenix, MD
    I think it's of popular opinion that you'll need a HQL after Oct 1 to pick up your hand gun that you may have already bought prior to oct 1 while waiting on MSP nd. So if you paid $500 for a M&P with 2 17 round mags and now it's oct 2 will you get your gun minus the mags? Will you be refunded the cost of the mags? Will they give it to you at all? Or are you just plain screwed?

the gun (including the mags) was purchased before OCT 1st so your can take all of it with you because the paperwork was done before Oct 1. You will still need an HQL if you pickup after Oct 1. Just have it transferred to an 8 day release shop so you don't have to worry about the HQL.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

When I was in a situation of waiting for a "ND", I always took my mags with me when I paid for the firearm. I'm no longer I that long wait position, but I still take the mags the day I buy the firearm.

If you have paid for the firearm, request that they give you the mags now.

Mr H

Banana'd

In the MSP meeting yesterday, it was recommended that you pick up your mags ahead of time.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Correct, If the dealer chooses to wait, then you are affected by the DEALER not the STATE. That is why I capitalized STATE. People want to file a suit against the State for forcing them to get the license for a gun they purchased 3 months before the new law. You cannot blame the state if the FFL is the one holding your property because he wants to.
    Anyone who buys from a dealer that will not release as soon as allowed by law will need the HQL, BUT, you can't blame the state unless you wait until the last few days of September.

Agreed 100%

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    the gun (including the mags) was purchased before OCT 1st so your can take all of it with you because the paperwork was done before Oct 1. You will still need an HQL if you pickup after Oct 1. Just have it transferred to an 8 day release shop so you don't have to worry about the HQL.

While I understand your thinking, I don't believe that is what will actually happen. Just like needing to have the HQL after 10/1 for any purchase (regardless of when papers were filled out), the dealers will have to follow the law that is in place at the time of releasing the firearm. After 10/1, all magazines over 10 rounds will be illegal to be transferred/purchased. They will have to remove the magazines and give the firearm to you without them. As others have stated, get your magazines prior to 10/1/13!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    So anyone got a list on dealers doing the 8-th day release?

From what it sounds, we have hit the point in which if the dealer is not releasing on the 8th day, the buyer is more or less getting screwed with a bunch of more BS laws.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

However, the "transfer" will not be complete until 10/1. That is the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom