• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've been using Greenworks stuff now because I can swap the batteries between, mower, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, and a bunch of other stuff. They even have inverters so you can use the batteries for low amp AC stuff. The only thing I found that's subpar is the string trimmer, I think because all battery string trimmers are designed to suck, not just Greenworks.
    You can even find knock off batteries for them which seem to run just as good as the brand name ones providing you don't fall for the cheap knock offs that don't have as high an Amp/hr rating as the originals.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've got to agree with the poster upstream about corded mowers. I originally had one when I owned a townhouse and even that got real old, real quick.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is the one I'm getting to replace our gas push mower. Ryobi's 18v tools have impressed me. I get why they get some hate, but they hold up really well. Out of all their tools I've bought, I've only had issues with the 18v chainsaw. It sat in an unheated shed the first winter I had it and the bar oil tank cracked.

I have most of their 18v stuff and like. I managed to kill their drill and my wife their small circular saw. But I abused the crap out of the drill with a hole saw through joists. My wife similar with the circular saw on abuse (she kept binding the blade over and over and over again).

The nicer drill has held up to everything and same with the full size nicer circular saw. I’ve abused the hell out of the hammer drill and impact driver (lighter impact driver, like 150ft-lbs) and still going strong. Their higher powered stuff just didn’t appeal to me so I went greenworks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been using Greenworks stuff now because I can swap the batteries between, mower, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, and a bunch of other stuff. They even have inverters so you can use the batteries for low amp AC stuff. The only thing I found that's subpar is the string trimmer, I think because all battery string trimmers are designed to suck, not just Greenworks.
    You can even find knock off batteries for them which seem to run just as good as the brand name ones providing you don't fall for the cheap knock offs that don't have as high an Amp/hr rating as the originals.

Which string trimmer? I just got their 17” one. I was going to get the 16” basic one but decided to fork over a bit more money. So far I am really liking it. Been handling everything I’ve thrown at it. Though I haven’t used it on path clearing in my woods yet.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

I love my Milwaukee M18 string trimmer. It’s the only electric yard tool I have.

I have a Honda and a Toro recycler and those will probably last me another 20 years, so I won’t be in the electric push mower game for awhile.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I have a 40v Greenworks 21 inch that is going on 4 years old. I wish the batteries lasted longer. I only have about 1/8 acre and one battery just about does it. When I had a 1/6 to 1/5 it took both batteries and sometimes I had to stop and charge before I could finish. That was mostly if I didnt get it cut before it grew too much. I know they made improvements and I think they have some better batteries for it now. It cuts fine, but the batteries suck. I wish Milwaukee made one, then I could have a single set of batteries and never have to worry about it again.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Which string trimmer? I just got their 17” one. I was going to get the 16” basic one but decided to fork over a bit more money. So far I am really liking it. Been handling everything I’ve thrown at it. Though I haven’t used it on path clearing in my woods yet.

It's not that it doesn't work when it does, it's just that the string feed sucks and you can't buy better replacements for the spool like you can for the gas trimmers.

JMB

Jan 30, 2019
    I assume you are looking for a push mower. I bought the EGO from Home Depot, it was a whopping $500, but was worth every penny. Charges fast, 56V lithium battery, and the mower has a ton of power in that brushless motor. I have abused it for about a year and it works as good as the day I bought it.

27-D06419-6-BF6-4784-9-D7-B-68979-EF02325.png

I second this mower. Excellent mower.

10point

Mar 24, 2014
    Cecil county
    I had a Dewalt 40 volt mower for 3 years, if grass is wet forget about it,if you live in a sandy area forget about it,if you have normal grass you may have to cut twice a week,I do not have normal grass lots of moss and weeds and if I let it go to long it could not handle it. Since I do live in a area with lots of sand the bearings lasted 3 years then it trashed it just bought a gas mower. My Dewalt 40 volt weed eater is bad ass, chain saw not to bad either,blower not to bad either. Batteries are all 4 years old now and are still pretty strong.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    I just bought a new mower - with how long a mower tends to last me, I couldn't get past the idea that the electric is still relatively new technology for this kind of machine, so I went with another gas Toro. My last Toro mower lasted 18 or 19 years and was still "working" even though it was no longer running well.

I bought essentially the same mower that I already had - 22" Recycler with the Personal Pace feature.

I'm going to keep my eyes on the electric mowers, but I don't know what real advantages they'd have over gas other than noise, and no exhaust.

Just bought the same mower. Can not say good enough thing. Stepped up from a Toro push without the self propelled. Very happy this year so far.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Just bought the same mower. Can not say good enough thing. Stepped up from a Toro push without the self propelled. Very happy this year so far.

I “inherited” a really nice self propelled Toro recycler (gas) when my FIL passed away. I actually like it better than my Honda HRX217 push mower.

PrinceMike

Jun 3, 2013
    I also have the ego and can confirm what TheWhiteBuffalo said about its power. I was surprised at how much well it does even in tall and wet grass. The blade spins at one speed most of the time, but will kick into "high" automatically when it senses the need. I'm very happy with it. Not just with the cutting performance though. Not having to run and get gas or winterize it every year is wonderful.

MRH

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    From woodworking to servicing equipment to reloading to holding a pistol at least an hour a day for muscle memory to riding two horses a day

my carpal tunnel is telling me to add self propelled to my needs! EGO is moving to the top of my list.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    From woodworking to servicing equipment to reloading to holding a pistol at least an hour a day for muscle memory to riding two horses a day

my carpal tunnel is telling me to add self propelled to my needs! EGO is moving to the top of my list.

Going into my third season with an Ego push(non-propelled) mower. Typically only use it for areas I can't get with the tractor. Happy with it, plenty of power for typical mowing. It doesn't have the power/torque a gas mower has. I mowed the whole yard with it this spring, with semi-tall grass. Did well, but apparent that it isn't a gas machine. So long as you keep your bush-hogging to a minimum, it'll work well for you. I especially like that it folds up when not in use and is essentially maintenance-free.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I am more worried about time and effort to cut the grass, I am not as young as I was 20 years ago, I am 60 and my body is already broken down. I am looking at the Toro 30" walk behind mower. If I can get it past the wife then I will be able to cut the grass with less effort which is my goal. Up and down with the new mower would be like up and down and up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom