Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 7th, 2021, 09:46 PM #21
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler215 View Post
I don't think they are all the same.

To me the best seeds are saved seeds if you were happy with the crop. Over time this can give you a "landrace" strain that is especially adapted/suited to your specific climate and land. Most important thing if saving seeds is to always save seeds from your best plants, not the last ones to mature.

They say not to save seeds from hybrids but some sold as hybrids may not be. I've had good luck with tomato seeds saved from hybrids.
We'll see, we have a mixture of both.
JamesDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2021, 07:39 AM #22
Master Blaster

Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDong View Post
Good subject... seeds. Are all seeds created equally or are some better than others or even last years crop seeds?
Just make sure if you are saving seeds from the previous years harvest, they are from Heirloom plants and not hybrids. If hybrids, you chance not getting the same variety as what you harvested.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 01:10 PM #23
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Get your seeds early because seeds look like they will become the next ammo shortage.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 01:37 PM #24
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

I saved seeds from last year. Jalapeno, Tomato and got Amish paste seeds to make sauces this year. I make sure to buy heirloom and not hybrids so I can. I painted a 3' x 4' board to put in the basement window and will build a 2x4 hangman like to hold the far side and suspend a grow light over it. Sun in the morning and grow light 11am to 7 at night. I will maybe put seeds in by the 15th.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 01:47 PM #25
Do Right

Do Right

I try to grow plants that are not readily available in the grocery store or farmers market, or roadside stands. Fish Peppers, Yellow Pear Tomatoes, Scarlet Runner Beans, Anne Arundel (musk) Melons, and Zebra Zucchini are always a big hit. Just like ammo seeds can be hard to find days.
https://www.southernexposure.com/ has some great selections and I have good luck with most of their stuff growing in this area. And right now they still have inventory.
Roksfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 02:59 PM #26
Banned

Banned

Wife says we don't need no stinkin guest room.
Attached Images

JamesDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 03:03 PM #27

if yours starting out i would get some asparagus crowns maybe strawberry and other berry bushes if you enjoy them and maybe fruit trees started now since they will be around for many years and take a few to get going. i get aspargus from morgancountyseeds. and berries plants from https://www.noursefarms.com/category/strawberry-plants/

heads up johnnyseeds.com has it open for gardens orders for today. it a pita they doing it but im ok with it most that order wont plant 1/2 the seeds they order when they could be going to growers that need them for their lively hood. i placed my order last week when they had it open suppose to be delivered tomorrow. probably going to start a few tomatoes and peppers. this week and another batch 2 weeks later. hope i didn't screw my self ive become so reliant on buying dixdale onion starts from morgan county seeds. hopefully they didnt have a crop failure from the cold snowy storms last week

dont wait to long to place orders another few week it will be near impossible to get alot of stuff once weather starts getting warmer
730dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 03:46 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
Get your seeds early because seeds look like they will become the next ammo shortage.
This is good advice. Readily available seeds went MIA last spring when the lockdown craziness started. That stuff is all over sites like Amazon now but who knows if that will last.
Derek1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2021, 04:09 PM #29

We are going all out this year. Taking 2 acres at the farm and putting in a big garden with a little bit of everything. Getting an attachment for tractor that forms a raised bed lays down drip tape for irragation and covers the bed with plastic mulch. Picked up a 5000 gallon tank yesterday that will be used for the irragation.
Old February 28th, 2021, 04:13 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
Whats the early crops everyone plants? Sugar snap peas is all I am thinking right now.

I won't be dropping seeds into trays until 3/1. Tomatoes, A bunch of Amish paste and green peppers
i be planting potatoes and onions in a few weeks provided the onions are shipped with the frozen weather that Texas got the past week .

i be starting a few tomatoe and pepper seeds this week to risk them for setting out early for early tomatoes if it warm enough and another batch in 2 weeks. tired of trying to maintain a huge mess of them plus to me they do better when setting them out in the sun when they are smaller and bounce back quicker after transplant
730dc is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers