• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Guess we'll jump on the band wagon and get in line to get a chest freezer.

"How big?' is the question. We don't have a ton of space and it has to make it down the stairs into the basement.
    How many on your hit list?

:D

th

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you are getting a freezer, be sure to get a generator too! If the power goes out for any length of time, you do not want to lose your stash!

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    My fear is that becomes like a gun safe-you buy a big one and you'll eventually fill it up with stuff you don't use. :lol2:

You fill it so fast.

Schwan’s
    Omaha Steakhouse
    Costco
    Grocery Store

Bought one months ago, and due to limited stock in my area I got one that I thought was too big.

When it got to my house I thought no way I ever fill this, a few weeks go by and it’s full, and I’m figuring out how to make room for more.

Canned food is ok if it gets to that, but I feel like I can get better nutrition from frozen food (20 years ago it was believed that frozen foods maintained their nutrient better than even fresh food, not sure if that still stands, but frozen food definitely has less sodium than commercial canned food)

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    I put on on order today as well. At least a month out. Way to big for probably what I will ever need. But I got one.

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD

I used Bray and Scarff

brayandscarff.com

But don't expect it anytime soon. I got my refrigerator from them. Delivery guys we great.

I'm not in a big need of it now. But this current covid situation showed me the limits of my side by side.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    7 cu-ft is plenty big for two people. Hotpoint 7.1 cu-ft is a good one. Things to remember with chest freezers:
    1) Bigger is not better. Big costs a lot more to run. You'll be tempted to overfill it and end up with freezer burn.
    2) Simpler is better. Avoid whiz-bang features. One temperature knob (manual, not electronic) is all you need.
    3) Chest freezers are less convenient than uprights but keep food rock solid for days during long power outages, even if you go into the freezer to get things.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    7 cu-ft is plenty big for two people. Hotpoint 7.1 cu-ft is a good one. Things to remember with chest freezers:
    1) Bigger is not better. Big costs a lot more to run. You'll be tempted to overfill it and end up with freezer burn.
    2) Simpler is better. Avoid whiz-bang features. One temperature knob (manual, not electronic) is all you need.
    3) Chest freezers are less convenient than uprights but keep food rock solid for days during long power outages, even if you go into the freezer to get things.

I agree completely. :thumbsup:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Best Buy has their Insignia (store brand) line of chest freezers. I bought a small one for overflow capacity two months ago when I saw how the rest of the world was going with shelter-in-place and supply line problems.

These freezers come and go quickly. You need to check often during the day. Right now, they're showing one left on their 10 cu ft. version in White Marsh. I had to drive all the way to Rockville to pick mine up and it was only available for less than an hour before it showed out of stock.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    You all now have me nervous as I’m thinking about my stuffed chest freezer that at least 35 hrs old. Before all this nonsense my thoughts were if it breaks I’ll go get another, now it’s where would I find one

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I was about to ask about eating 2 year old steak out of the freezer, but after reading some of these comments I think I`ll be fine. Lol

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I have an old chest freezer I converted to a kegerator years ago...I removed the wood collar a few days ago and plugged it back in. It runs but barely gets below room temp. Damn.

We talked about converting it back months ago but it was low on my list of priorities...I should've moved then. Need to start watching some youtube vids on freezer repair.

Attachments

• keger.jpg
      keger.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 316

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I pickup up a few old ones off craigs a few years ago. I use them to freeze bee boxes and frames to kill bugs and store unprocessed honey.

The largest chest freezer I have I never plugged in because it needed a new cord, etc. I need to hold some honey until June so the other night I looked at it, fixed the cord and plugged it in. In the meantime, I went in the house to get some wet towels to wipe/clean it out a bit. I came back out about 10 minutes later, started to wipe the side and that thing was so cold already that it froze the rag to the side! Man this freezer has some pull down power!! I waited a two days to go back and finish it last night. While wiping it out, I noticed the bottom was still cool to the touch. That's after two days and the thing only being on 10-15 minutes! Amazing!

The freezer is a Norge. I picked up a temp controller off amazon for it, and a kill-a-watt to see how much power it draws.

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    I’ll 2nd or 3rd adding liter bottles of water to your freezer to increase the frozen mass. Like having an ice battery if the power goes out for a short time.

We have a small chest freezer we got years ago. It was free to a good home. Bins are recommended too for organizing.

Another tip if the power goes out is add insulation. Sleeping bags, foam, or moving blankets around it. That will help retain the cold longer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We got our oldest son and his wife a small chest freezer last Christmas. No matter which one I looked at they were all chinese junk. Reminded me of the dehumidifiers, probably one company that literally makes all of them for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom