• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hi. I have a CVA Cascade in 308 and the manual states that firing 7.62 x 51 ammo instead of true 308 win will void the warranty. I thought that 7.62 had less pressure than 308? And if so how would that cause an issue in a bolt action? I contacted their customer service to get clarification and received the following response:

"Use of Military ammo or ammo loaded to military specs will void the warranty and we cannot recommend the use due to liability.

Thanks."

Sooo can anyone explain what/why there may be an issue with firing that ammo?

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Hi. I have a CVA Cascade in 308 and the manual states that firing 7.62 x 51 ammo instead of true 308 win will void the warranty. I thought that 7.62 had less pressure than 308? And if so how would that cause an issue in a bolt action? I contacted their customer service to get clarification and received the following response:

"Use of Military ammo or ammo loaded to military specs will void the warranty and we cannot recommend the use due to liability.

Thanks."

IIRC 308 pressure > 762x51, reverse of 556. 556>223. I have no clue other than CYA lawyers.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Thanks."

A lot of companies just use a generic warning, don't use reloaded ammo, don't use mil-spec ammo, use only correct ammo etc. doesn't really matter, the reason is probably more to do with 223 vs 5.56, and they just add the blanket warning it to all manuals for that design regardless of caliber. Usually see people getting into reloading flip out because they see per the manual, it will "void" the warranty on literally every firearm ever made. Everyone else just LOLs, do it anyway, and if something breaks unrelated too ammo, they just send it in, and the company fixes it. Only time it could be an issue is is someone is stupid enough to admit to using reloads when contacting service, or if it is a direct issue with feeding or damage from non SAAMI spec reloads, like something blown from overpressure, or jamming because of the wrong OAL. Provided it's decent 7.62 party on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Probably Lawyer Boilerplate . As noted , proper in spec 7.62 NATO has slightly lower pressure than SAAMI .308 Win .

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Thanks for the responses guys. I figured as much but wanted to verify it wasn't something i didn't realize. I'm not the knifest sharp in the drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom