• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Grandson is looking to sell some logs. His house is in the flight path of the St.Mary's County Airport and with the expansion of the runways some of the trees in his yard are coming down. They have paid him to have the trees removed and part of the deal is he gets to keep the logs. We're talking about half a dozen or more large oak trees, 3 to 4 feet in diameter which will be cut into 20 foot lengths. He's keeping the limbs and a couple of poplar trees for firewood. Does anyone know someone who will buy the logs for a saw mill? I know there are several Amish sawmills in the area but I don't think they'll bring down a horse and buggy to pick up the logs :D

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Grandson is looking to sell some logs. His house is in the flight path of the St.Mary's County Airport and with the expansion of the runways some of the trees in his yard are coming down. They have paid him to have the trees removed and part of the deal is he gets to keep the logs. We're talking about half a dozen or more large oak trees, 3 to 4 feet in diameter which will be cut into 20 foot lengths. He's keeping the limbs and a couple of poplar trees for firewood. Does anyone know someone who will buy the logs for a saw mill? I know there are several Amish sawmills in the area but I don't think they'll bring down a horse and buggy to pick up the logs :D

Ask them. If they want them, they’ll take care of the logistics.

My brother just sold off a bunch of walnut this weekend to the Amish. They asked if they could us his chainsaw, my brother said it was broke. The guys showed up in a wagon, but then someone came in a pickup and dropped off a couple of chainsaws.

The Amish did use a mule team to skid the logs out by the main driveway. A Trucker is coming tomorrow to pickup the logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Logistics is no problem for the Amish. they're not opposed to fudging the rules. Good thing those diesel mills aren't "modern inventions". :rolleyes:

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    A dozen logs is not worth the fuel cost for someone to come and get them right now.

Last news from the SLSC property purchase in calvert was finding a logger who wanted to come in and clean things up. Things are hot right now and they can choose where to work.

ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I had a very hard time trying to find someone, good luck. The hurricane last year spawned a tornado and we lost over a hundred trees. Looked like a war zone. Called a few people, could not get anything done at all. One guy said he'd come take them but wouldn't pay anything. I agreed just to clean it up. Then he backed out too. The Amish sawmills will pay for anything you bring them, not much though, but unless it is a more valuable wood than oak they're not going to come haul it. Like he said, they need more than 12 logs to justify the cost. I've been selling firewood for the last year steadily chipping away at the mountain of trees here. That may be your best option unless you have access to a big trailer to take logs to the mill. Maybe you will find someone, I hope you have better luck than I did.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Loggers might not want to mess with it, not enough there. I would call king kutter tree service, they mess with small loads of logs. Probably no money there unless you can load and haul them to a mill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom