• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PmThompson

Senior Junior Member
    Feb 6, 2021
    MD
    Moved to NW DC area from rural CO last spring. I've never seen so many hovering helicopters. I've learned from neighbors that whenever the powers-that-be expect a large number of people gathering for any reason, there will be a chopper hanging out overhead. I've used flightaware.com (flightaware [DOT] com/live/airport/DC08) and skycircles (twitter [DOT] com/SkyCirclesDC). Seems like some of them take off and land at hospital heliports.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    A lot of it is medivac, news, and traffic helos because there are so many wrecks and so much traffic around the Beltway and the NE corridor up I-270. You'll also see lots of flyovers by Blackhawks and other .mil helicopters. Almost every day I see the trio of Blackhawks that go back and forth between either USAMRIID at Frederick, or Camp David up near Thurmont.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've learned from neighbors that whenever the powers-that-be expect a large number of people gathering for any reason, there will be a chopper hanging out overhead.

That's not quite accurate. DC has demonstrations/ protests almost every day, especially during warm weather. Small ones are only a few people, but it's REALLY easy to get a thousand people out for even a low key event in DC. You won't generally see helos up until there's a problem.

If you're in NW, the yellow and blue one belongs to MedStar off North Capital St. The red one is Children's National (also N. Cap St). Blue and white could be US Park Police. I think Metropolitan Police's helo is mostly white, been a while since I've seen it.

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    I grew up pretty close to Camp David and saw them around all the time. Going to DC/Baltimore constantly I never thought it was out of space.
    As others mentioned: medical moving everywhere, each news channel has their own chopper, government sending out and around, as well as government keeping tabs. I haven't spent much time since COVID down there so can't speak to anything in the past year and a half, but totally understandably weird if you're moving from the rural part of CO. I wouldn't worry about it

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Moved to NW DC area from rural CO last spring. I've never seen so many hovering helicopters. I've learned from neighbors that whenever the powers-that-be expect a large number of people gathering for any reason, there will be a chopper hanging out overhead. I've used flightaware.com (flightaware [DOT] com/live/airport/DC08) and skycircles (twitter [DOT] com/SkyCirclesDC). Seems like some of them take off and land at hospital heliports.

Today that one you saw was most likely dingling around due to the two people who got run over and killed on park property. Eagle was up for a long time on that one.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That's not quite accurate. DC has demonstrations/ protests almost every day, especially during warm weather. Small ones are only a few people, but it's REALLY easy to get a thousand people out for even a low key event in DC. You won't generally see helos up until there's a problem.

If you're in NW, the yellow and blue one belongs to MedStar off North Capital St. The red one is Children's National (also N. Cap St). Blue and white could be US Park Police. I think Metropolitan Police's helo is mostly white, been a while since I've seen it.

I get to go up on Falcon once/twice a year to research the River

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If you lived anywhere near Fountain or south of Fort Carson, you would have seen plenty of rotary wing aircraft.

Lots of military helicopters coming and going from the north helipad at the Pentagon and Bolling AFB. While HMX is based out of Quantico, they forward stage at Bolling, and on the north side of Bolling right near the Anacostia Metro station is the Park Police hangar.

If you want to see a lot of helicopters in the middle of nowhere, drive around Enterprise, AL. Lots of student pilots having fun down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom