• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Talking Mini-30 in 7.62x39
    Looking for a good optic to go from 0-200 yards.
    I like the Votex Spitfire 3X,, but the reticle is graduated for .223 round.
    Anything out there for the 7.62x39?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    0-200 is point blank range for 7.62x39. The PA 2x or 3x prism is plenty. Arguably, all you really need is a reflex sight, but I know not everyone has great eyes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For a Mini(or AKs for that matter) , I'm not a fan of the mounts that cover the receiver, hard to get the right eye relief/cheek weld without massive changes to the stock. Would rather keep the sleek traditional ergos without the bulk of a scope or large dot sight, so just sticking to irons, or a co-witness red dot is superior IMO. Had a Mini 14, I tried a scope at first with a mount, and just ranch style rings. Between the inherent short range/mediocre accuracy and messing up the handling/ergos, I took it off quick, put an Ultimak scout rail on the forend with a micro dot with 1/3 co-witness and it was awesome, at least till I sold it and got into ARs. IIRC there was all of 1/2" or so between the line of sight and top of that rail, so you need a really low mounting optic, or you will block the irons entirely.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    As budget minded optics go, I find it hard to beat the Holosun 510C. Crispest reticle out there, excellent battery life, shake away, and 3 reticle choices. Also can run entirely off solar when there is enough light - It took me 2 days to realize it didn't have a battery installed from the factory lol.

I have the crossfire 2 on my wife's rifle and it's held up well.

both of these options are 1x though.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    PAC3XAK-GENIII-300BO_01.jpg

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I case you were wondering,,,
    I used a CC that I was planning on closing soon.
    I received an error message from the vendor as I completed the sale, something about a problem with communication, etc, etc.
    And I should try another card.,,, yeah right.

Received a call from CC company about 12 hours later,, suspected fraud on card...

If it is to good to be true,,, it is.

Holy crapola! I paid 3x that for mine four years ago! :lol2:
    It's only gonna cost you a new Visa card...:innocent0
    When I see the word Guaranteed more than once in a paragraph, I start to wonder...

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I'd like to put one of those 1-6x on my nhm 91 using the Texas Weapons Systems mount. With a 20 inch barrel it isn't a cqb weapon and my old eyes could use boost.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    As budget minded optics go, I find it hard to beat the Holosun 510C. Crispest reticle out there, excellent battery life, shake away, and 3 reticle choices. Also can run entirely off solar when there is enough light - It took me 2 days to realize it didn't have a battery installed from the factory lol.

I have the crossfire 2 on my wife's rifle and it's held up well.

both of these options are 1x though.

+1 to this whole post

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd like to put one of those 1-6x on my nhm 91 using the Texas Weapons Systems mount. With a 20 inch barrel it isn't a cqb weapon and my old eyes could use boost.
    My experience is that low-mounted LPVOs don't work great on AKs due to the giant front sight hood messing up your 1x picture. You can chop the top third or half to make this better if you want, but it's one of the few times I actually think a fixed prism sight makes more sense.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    My experience is that low-mounted LPVOs don't work great on AKs due to the giant front sight hood messing up your 1x picture. You can chop the top third or half to make this better if you want, but it's one of the few times I actually think a fixed prism sight makes more sense.

Good to know before throwing money at it thank you.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I run a cheap Primary Arms 2 MOA micro dot using the RS Regulate optics mounting system on my rail. I've used it at the past few 3Gun competitions at AGC and it does better than I do.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-microdot-with-removable-base-gen-2

I run a 35 yard point blank zero on the dot which covers me at all distances that I'd need at AGC during competition with no hold-overs or adjustments. More info at the link below.

https://savannaharsenal.com/2016/04...47 (7.62x39mm Soviet) Zeroing Recommendations

I've trashed these dots on just about everything and they hold up and PA has awesome customer service. If you use the RS Regulate system, I do not recommend using the Aimpoint Micro mount, you will strip the holes out after a few hundred rounds. So toss out the co-witness and run it with a regular picatinny rail setup and it'll hold up just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom