• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I’m close to completing my 9mm AR pistol build. I plan on running MBUS BUIS with a red dot. I’m all over the place trying to decide what optic to go with. I’d like to stay under $300

Right now I’m looking at micros like the holosun 407co. Tube dots like the Sig Romeo4/5 or going with something slightly larger like the Holosun 510c. Basically looking for suggestions of what you guys are running on your set ups and what you like & don’t like. This will be my first red dot so that explains the uncertainty. I’ve searched with not much h clarification.

It will be going on the bottom one pictured. 5.5”barrel with 8” bcm handguard (kaw valley comp). Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• A5AD3A7E-68C2-4FE0-B5DE-AAFB65B417EB.jpeg
      A5AD3A7E-68C2-4FE0-B5DE-AAFB65B417EB.jpeg
      56.1 KB · Views: 406

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My vortex Spac, which i like, taught me i have an astigmatism. I know I’m not alone in that so just an FYI.

I’m gonna be replacing it with a UHD when they come back in stock at my place of ordering

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I do have an astigmatism and am slightly near sighted & wear contacts. I guess certain red dots are better than others for those of us with astigmatisms?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You are going to want a sight with an etched reticle.

'Reflected'(as are most red dots) reticles will want to 'star' out because of the astigmatism.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I do have an astigmatism and am slightly near sighted & wear contacts. I guess certain red dots are better than others for those of us with astigmatisms?

I’m gonna get rid of mine when the UHD comes back in stock. As Outrider says it stars and it’s cuz of me. It’s a great product and does a great job but it’s not for me on a SHTF kinda rifle.

Again I’m not trying to dissuade you, just inform of my experience, and i know I’m not alone.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The hot competition PCC optic right now is the Holosun HS510C / HE510C-GR.

The Vortex Spitfire 1x works, but it's nowhere near as fast in my experience.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    The hot competition PCC optic right now is the Holosun HS510C / HE510C-GR.

The Vortex Spitfire 1x works, but it's nowhere near as fast in my experience.

I have read this few places which is why it is one of my contenders. I don’t compete and really just built this as more of a want, than a need. Plinking/home defense is about it. I just don’t want to have any thing too bulky on top due to its much smaller rail size

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Running a good set of iron sights and a laser on mine. Laser is great for low light and is a ton of fun at the range. May add a SightMark reflex at some point in the future. Had good luck with them on some other tools. My dominant eye is not very good and green dots on the target help.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    Running a good set of iron sights and a laser on mine. Laser is great for low light and is a ton of fun at the range. May add a SightMark reflex at some point in the future. Had good luck with them on some other tools. My dominant eye is not very good and green dots on the target help.

I plan to get some irons to Co-Witness with whatever optic I go with. I’m not a big fan of lasers, to each their own. I’ll look in to sight mark. Not a brand I’ve considered yet.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I am reading on some sources (google) that a green reticle is easier with an astigmatism than red. Anyone have any first had experience with this. The holosun 510c is offered in both red & green

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I am reading on some sources (google) that a green reticle is easier with an astigmatism than red. Anyone have any first had experience with this. The holosun 510c is offered in both red & green

I have a very slight astigmatism so I don’t really have issues with red dots. I have a Vortex Strikefire which you can run green or red on it. I always run the green, I find it easier to see in both bright sun and on cloudy days. If I could have all of my red dots green I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD

In have Holosun 507s in green and red. My green one is sitting on a shelf. Jury is out on it... I think the reds are just more visible in the outdoor setting.

I have also used RMRs, SROs, MROs, Eotech, Vortex UH1, And Holosun 510s. I like the reticle of the Holosun And the MRO HD with the option for dot or circle dot that the Holosun has, and now the MRO HD...\\

Oh and my astigmatism is nasty....

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have astigmatism - every Aimpoint or Trijicon I have looked through is almost unusable for me (trijicon being the worst). That said, I put a Vortex Crossfire 2 red dot on my fiance's rifle, and it's very crisp for my eyes. I was almost disappointed with how well it stacked up to my Aimpoint Pro and Trijicon MRO. I have since sold the Pro and the MRO.

Hard to beat for under $150, IMO. Great battery life, and comes with a two mounting options. This has become my go-to recommendation for inexpensive, high value red dots.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    With an etched reticle, and for use at HD distances, why do you need BUIS?
    The obvious answer is "you bang the optic on a doorframe or wall and it breaks". I don't really care if plan B is a laser or BUIS, but if you're going to use a gun to defend your life, having some sort of backup plan seems like a solid idea. MBUS are fifty bucks a set; that's cheap insurance.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    The obvious answer is "you bang the optic on a doorframe or wall and it breaks". I don't really care if plan B is a laser or BUIS, but if you're going to use a gun to defend your life, having some sort of backup plan seems like a solid idea. MBUS are fifty bucks a set; that's cheap insurance.

With an etched reticle you still have an aiming point even if the battery dies or you crack the glass.
    Even if the entire glass is destroyed you still get a circle outline to aim through if you go both eyes open.

If you knock it off kilter then it may obscure the BUIS anyway.

If you knock it off the rail completely then you can still sight down the bare rail.

So is there any practical value for BUIS in a HD setting?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, they're definitely worth $50 if you care about hitting what you're aiming at or, G-d forbid, actually making a CNS or brain box hit reliably at more than 5 yards.

I mean, if the assumption is that you can just sight down the rail and do whatever you need or just need a big old ghost ring with no front sight, why bother with an optic at all?

I run BUIS on all my rifles. I've used them when I had an optics failure or my battery went dead. I was glad I had them. I don't necessarily think you need to buy MBUS Pros for all your guns, but unless you're awful with irons, they are a LOT better than the options you're espousing.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Yes, they're definitely worth $50 if you care about hitting what you're aiming at or, G-d forbid, actually making a CNS or brain box hit reliably at more than 5 yards.

I mean, if the assumption is that you can just sight down the rail and do whatever you need or just need a big old ghost ring with no front sight, why bother with an optic at all?

Sights are preferred to no sights, of course. What I'm wondering about is in a HD situation:
    Someone breaks into your house AND
    Doesn't leave as soon as they hear you moving about AND
    don't retreat upon hearing a rifle being chambered AND
    don't retreat upon hearing you breaking your optic on a wall AND
    is still a threat......
    I think I could take a center of mass shot at 15-20 feet with no sights in that 1 in a billion circumstance. The question is, in a HD situation, does a BUIS add any practical value if you have an optic? Based upon the following video, it doesn't appear they add all that much at that distance and in that type of scenario. It isn't like I'm going to be running and gunning through the hallways and bedrooms of my home. It is going to be me in a static position looking down a hallway at a silhouette of a target.
    [YT]MnW2jkVCnoc[/YT]
    ...and just for the record, yes, I have BUIS on my HD AR. I'm just wondering why I continue to keep them on that rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom