• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I recently acquired a new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM and have slowly started assembling the ‘other stuff’.
    After much deliberation, I purchased a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 & a set of Seekins 1.45” AR high scope rings.
    The scope & rings arrived today and I went ahead and loosely bench mounted the setup. I’m wondering if the rings are too high, as I have an easy 1/2” of clearance between the objective housing and the top of the hand guard.
    Prior to buying, I asked Seekins directly and they recommended this height.

Since I am completely new to this, can I please ask for some basic thoughts on ring height? My initial use for this gun will be at a 200yd range, and then 1,000yds once I familiarize myself with this gun.

Andreas

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Your rings are the correct height. The RPR is designed around AR height rings. You will find it increasingly difficult to get lower on the stock with lower rings. I have shot my 308 RPR to 1000+ using AR height rings.

In fact, one trend these days is moving to 1.7" or even 1.93" scope height, especially with LPVOs. However, that does not work as well with higher magnification scopes (or going prone), so I would not recommend it.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I also went with Seekins High rings for my RPR and love them. Switched out my stock for a Magpul PRS Gen 2 and it still is comfortable to shoot with the adjustable comb height all the way down for myself and up slightly for smaller shooters like my wife.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I also went with Seekins High rings for my RPR and love them. Switched out my stock for a Magpul PRS Gen 2 and it still is comfortable to shoot with the adjustable comb height all the way down for myself and up slightly for smaller shooters like my wife.

I’m starting to think I have a workable setup. :)

In order to install an AR-style stock, I presume you switched to a longer buffer tube?

Andreas

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Uses A2 buffer tube and just has the screw to put in and rhen butt pad covers it up. Will get into the safe later if I remember and take a picture of its current setup.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Forgot to take and post pictures until now. Sorry. Here she is in all her current glory.

MRwJwCJ.jpg

GPQwOFP.jpg

WMP0gyC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom