• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357 Magnum

I have a used one with a 4 1/2 inch barrel. I can get pretty accurate at 25 yards using lead bullets but I wanted more power at 50-100 yards if I could get it.
    I'm trying the FTX bullets in it and they were good at 25 yards but when I moved to 50 I they wouldn't hit the target or board I have it glued to at all. I've only shot a couple of rounds because of rain and lightning storms in the area.
    Am I asking too much of a 4 1/2 inch barrel?

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You mean Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk, not S&W.

From a 4/4.5 inch barrel, some loadings of 357 Magnum might have up to 1 inch bullet drop from 25 to 50 yards, so not much. The drop from 38 Special is going to be greater, of course.

The Ruger Blackhawk with the 6.5 inch vs 4.625 inch barrel fires a round at least 200 fps faster for most 357 Magnum loadings, so yes, it will further minimize bullet drop. However, I don't think this is necessarily the issue that you're experiencing with the shorter barrel when you move to 50 yards.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have a used one with a 4 1/2 inch barrel. I can get pretty accurate at 25 yards using lead bullets but I wanted more power at 50-100 yards if I could get it.
    I'm trying the FTX bullets in it and they were good at 25 yards but when I moved to 50 I they wouldn't hit the target or board I have it glued to at all. I've only shot a couple of rounds because of rain and lightning storms in the area.
    Did Ruger sell the “Blackhawk” name to Smith and Wesson? I don’t see that model on their site. And yes, you’re asking quite a lot for a 4-1/2” barrel. Accuracy and 4-1/2” barrel usually aren’t used in the same sentence, not at 50-100 yds anyway.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not familiar with FTX specifically . I have gotten sub 1 in group @ 25yds with jacketed 125gr with 4 5/8 .357 Blackhawk .

Not .357 , but I have used factory jhp to hit 200yd rams in IHMSA .

The accuracy of your Blackhawk probably isn't your limiting factor .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Handgun shooting is a challenge. Plain and simple.
    Distance shooting even more so.

Your Ruger is capable of outstanding accuracy. But then there's the human factor.

All else being equal, a 50 yard target is significantly harder to see clearly than a 25 yard target. Add to this the fact that distance magnifies any and all sighting errors. So does lack of distance between front and rear sights with regard to handguns with comparatively shorter barrel length. Typically harder for example to shoot a snubby as well as you might a handgun with a longer sight radius.

It is a very interesting exercise to be able to watch a 50 yard dirt berm when someone is shooting a target placed even at short distances. Wanna know how they're doing? You don't even need to see their target. Watch for consistency of bullet impact on a 50 yard berm.

Even with targets set at typically short handgun distances, the difference in bullet impact with many newer shooters, especially when bullets strike a dirt berm at 50 yards, will be measured not in inches but rather in feet. And that assumes they're consistently hitting the berm at all.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I can hit a steel torso past 50 yards with my 9mm pistol, if I do my part. You should be able to do the same with your revolver. Are you shooting from a bench or unsupported?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are some of the most consistently accurate revolvers out there. 50 yard shooting is at least 2 times more difficult as 25 yard shooting. As humbling as it may be, good groups at 25 yards and shotgun patterns at 50 yards is the shooting or the ammunition. I would say the shooter in this case. A couple of members posted good info.

I would add the following three points.
    1.) Are you seeing the front sight clearly, aligned in the rear sight, and where the sights are on target when the revolver recoils? If not, there is substantial probable cause for the 50 yard misses.
    2.) Are you using the stock grips. This will be an aid but not a complete answer to the long range inaccuracy. Ugly as they are, a set of Pachmyers would certainly help in stablizing the revolver in your hands.
    3.) Are you using appropriately sized targets at 50 yards? A paper plate with a cardboard 3'x3' backing would be ideal.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

"Back in the day" several of us would use short-barreled .357 magnum(s) shooting NRA Hunter Pistol at SCSC.

I used to shoot my 4" S&W mdl 19-4 w/ Hornady 158 gr JHP in front of a mild charge of Unique.
    This was an effective load, and would topple the Rams at 100 yards, when I did my part.
    (The Turkeys at 75 yards were some humbling little birds, though!)

One old guy (may he Rest in Peace) would even bring out his 2" mdl 36 and "clang" the Rams at 100 yards w/ .38 Special and lead 'pellets'.

:)

That Blackhawk should surely be up to the task!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I can hit a steel torso past 50 yards with my 9mm pistol, if I do my part. You should be able to do the same with your revolver. Are you shooting from a bench or unsupported?

I'm trying to support my hands with shooting sticks which would be what I use if I hunt with the pistol.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are some of the most consistently accurate revolvers out there. 50 yard shooting is at least 2 times more difficult as 25 yard shooting. As humbling as it may be, good groups at 25 yards and shotgun patterns at 50 yards is the shooting or the ammunition. I would say the shooter in this case. A couple of members posted good info.

I would add the following three points.
    1.) Are you seeing the front sight clearly, aligned in the rear sight, and where the sights are on target when the revolver recoils? If not, there is substantial probable cause for the 50 yard misses.
    2.) Are you using the stock grips. This will be an aid but not a complete answer to the long range inaccuracy. Ugly as they are, a set of Pachmyers would certainly help in stablizing the revolver in your hands.
    3.) Are you using appropriately sized targets at 50 yards? A paper plate with a cardboard 3'x3' backing would be ideal.

1. Seeing the sights pretty good. There is quite a bit of recoil though. It doesn't hurt or anything but the pistol is jumping on a shot.
    2. It has wood grips but it's used so I assume that's what it came with.
    3. I'm using a large target that has the bulls-eye in the middle and for small bulls-eyes in the corners. They come in big packages that I've used the first one I bought for years.

Yeah, it's probably me but I can shoot these pistols out to 100 yards pretty good:
    1. Ruger New Model Blackhawk w/ 6 inch barrel in 44 Special.
    2. Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
    3. Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    practice a lot of dry-fire, or get snap caps. a scope will help you to see movement that you induce from trigger pull, so will a long wooden dowel in the barrel .many would not like the dowel approach. i also use the dowel to teach new shooters about where they are pointing the gun, usually in an airsoft pistol at first.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    also, some work with light weights will help you stabilize. i prefer to grip with my right hand, support with my left, palm up on bottom of the handgrip.pull the left elbow back into your body for more support.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    practice a lot of dry-fire, or get snap caps. a scope will help you to see movement that you induce from trigger pull, so will a long wooden dowel in the barrel .many would not like the dowel approach. i also use the dowel to teach new shooters about where they are pointing the gun, usually in an airsoft pistol at first.

There are two person floating bullseye drills one can do as well.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If you missed the target and board at 50 yards try another bullet. Something is wrong with your combination. I do not thing you need more power but need to figure out the proper trajectory. My friend routinely hits a 300 yard steel with a 6'' .38 Special S&W using 130 grain FMJ Remington ammo. Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck

Jerry

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At only 50yds , trajectory isn't an issue .

( Cavaet - I haven't crunched the exact numbers for the 140 FTX , but I have for conventional 125 and 158, and at these distances , the FTX will be inbetween .)

Rough rule of thumb for 4in-ish .357mag, full power .

25yd - +1.5in
    50yd - + 1-ish in
    75yd - zero
    100yd - minus +/- 1.5in

Give or take a tenth or two specifically for the FTX , but nothing to be missing a target due to trajectory .

What size 25yd groups does the FTX give you using a conventional rest ?

How are your groups off of shooting sticks with other revolvers of known accuracy , that you shoot well .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In that case, good thing the OP lives in Iowa .

But additionallyly, I like many Marylanders , do my handgun hunting in neighboring states . 4 inch is ok in Va, WV, Pa . Different, albeit more realistic , ft lb requirements also .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom