• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My question is, a stay isn't always bad right? I mean just because they grant the stay doesn't mean they are leaning one side or the other, but that its a courtesy thing while they sort things out. This is what I heard, and I'm wondering what you think.

As noted, it's to maintain the status quo and a punt to the merits panel on the merits. No way they gave the merits much consideration in this very short time span.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Ok, so... CA4 decides November-ish...

AND THEN STAYS THE DECISION PENDING APPEAL TO THE SCOTUS.

We could be in limbo another year or so.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    And so, pending October, our attention now must swing back to defending our current position against mischief by the General Assembly starting 8 days from now.

Keep your powder dry and your phones/emails/faxs/visits ready to go...
    And should the bastards pass anything we don't like...dare I saw we put it on the referendum?

The people by and large DO NOT like what this legislature is doing. There are too many people that breed that shouldn't and vote for their handouts.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    How will this bode for us with respect to the MD Legislature given the timing? When does the legislature go back in session (not talking about the special session)?

I imagine they (Frosh) will try to ram through everything "Anti" before a decision by CA4 as they attempted to do before Judge Legg's initial decision. Hopefully the CA4 decision will bear fruit before Annapolis starts their new session.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I guess we'll all go back to carrying our long arms for protection

/sarcasim

I wonder will the case will be mooted by new laws from Annapolis next season?

Just don't OC....Some people's sensibilities maybe hurt...
    But don't CC a long gun either, I think that is illegal.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I just have to comment again...
    This ruined my day...Is the brightside it is not Friday, so it did not ruin my weekend?
    Will need to see how I feel on Friday.
    Guess I will need to take a trip to a Chick-fil-a in PA or WV and carry so I can feel like a free-man.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    My strong guess was simply to maintain the status quo until a merits panel can consider it. This is just a punt to the merits panel. That's a whole lot better than a stay based on a finding that MD is likely to prevail on the merits.

Punt hell...it isn't even a Bill Belichick punt. I mean...if we want analogies on this, it's like having the ball on the goal line, 4th and goal to go with 15 second left on the clock, 1 time out and up by 3, oh and you have the clock moving and 16 seconds on the play clock. :D

Ok, I crack myself up...but seriously, from this laychairperson...it's pretty disgusting.

This means there are two of three people that said "NOT MY JOB" when they are supposed to do the honorable thing (I won't say the people's thing, but the honorable thing).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cite for any of your guesses Mr logs?

No? Big surprise. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Like I said BFD.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    An expedited appeal is a big deal. It means you get to jump in front of the line for oral argument and for resolution. Highly unusual to get an oral argument date before all the briefs are filed. And yes, they can issue a one-line order like this. Not uncommon. By expediting it, they recognize the importance of the case and seek to minimize the length of time the stay pending appeal is in place.

What's the typical timeframe from oral argument to decision in an expedited case? I assume it's faster than the 3-4 months that seems typical in a non-expedited case, but how much so?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    MDS Legal Team:

No doubt that whoever loses in CA4, it is going to be appealed to SCOTUS. Could this be decided by SCOTUS Summer of 2013, or would it get pushed to next year?

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Wow. I am at a loss of words. Wish I could say I am surprised, So did only one Judge review the request? Don't all of them have to be a part of it?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    All the MSP need due is honor their oath to protect and defend the constitution.

No justice, No laminator!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Damn. I am beyond disappointed. I should have known it was too good to be true. I felt that I was one of the 365 and I was counting down to the 7th. I just hope that the 365 is kept in limbo rather than outright denied.

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    And another thing, for those of us who had our stuff in PRE - first stay, why should we be screwed out of our money when we applied at a time when we were well in in our rights and before any stays? Everyone else got their checks back. And I can understand this go round they stated ahead of time they will not do the same and flat out deny apps, but to screw those who got their stuff in BEFORE a stay and return checks to those AFTER the first stay, that just pisses me off. I'm not blaming anyone on here of course, but that grinds my f*cking gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom