• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    As a present I'm giving a grandson a Leon Chandler Cortland flyrod for his 18th birthday. It was made for his great-grandfather when he retired from teaching back in the early 80's. The rod is 8' 2 piece, 6-7 line, 3 5/8 oz.

I had intended to give him one of my rifles but since he's in Ohio that didn't make much sense. The young man sort of gravitated to the rod and every so often would rig it up with a practice reel just to cast in the backyard.

Would like to get a nice reel to go along with it but one that won't break the bank. Suggestions?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Last model Lamson reels are on sale now. You can get a really nice American made reel for around $150. Plus a great warranty. Check on eBay for the litepeed or speedster model.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm sure there is better stuff out there, but I have several Orvis reels I bought in the 70s I've been delighted with.

Whatever you get, get an extra spool or two so you can change line on the run.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As a present I'm giving a grandson a Leon Chandler Cortland flyrod for his 18th birthday. It was made for his great-grandfather when he retired from teaching back in the early 80's. The rod is 8' 2 piece, 6-7 line, 3 5/8 oz.

I had intended to give him one of my rifles but since he's in Ohio that didn't make much sense. The young man sort of gravitated to the rod and every so often would rig it up with a practice reel just to cast in the backyard.

Would like to get a nice reel to go along with it but one that won't break the bank. Suggestions?
    With a 6-7 line weight, what would you say he'll be using it on? That will help decide whether he will need a good drag system or just someplace to store his line.

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    About two years ago I decided to get into fly fishing and my wife got me this rod and reel combo: https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-F...hild=1&keywords=fly+rod&qid=1595177866&sr=8-5

It includes everything you need to get started and I haven't had any issues with it at all. The travel case is nice because its easy to transport. We recently took ours (she ended up getting one as well) to the Smoky Mountains last Valentine's Day weekend and we couldn't be happier with them. Bought it as a combo to see if its something I would want to get into long term with the idea of buying something nicer down the road. I decided on the 5wt because at the time I was planning on using it for trout and pan fishing.

bakvz1e.jpg

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    For a more traditional looking reel look at the Orvis Battenkill.

This.

Since you are going with a vintage rod a high end vintage reel would match well. EBay can be your friend on this one. My main rod is an Orvis Helios, but I use the Battenkill "made in England" reel I've had for 30 years. It's a gift your son can pass on to his son.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Asking about the intended end use would drive my selection too.

I use nothing but vintage Hardy's (on vintage split cane rods), but I chose a different path to my fishing. As much as I like and admire the classic Hardy Perfect I realize it's not for everyone.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I, personally, wouldn't fish it, especially since it's a 6-7 wt. Same reason I don't fish my cane rods anymore. They belong displayed on a wall with an appropriate reel.

I'd get a Temple Forks graphite in an appropriate line weight that applies to what I'm fishing for and type/size water I'll be fishing. But that's just me. :shrug:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I, personally, wouldn't fish it, especially since it's a 6-7 wt. Same reason I don't fish my cane rods anymore. They belong displayed on a wall with an appropriate reel.

I don't fly fish anymore, too much driving to get to an actual trout stream. With that said, my weapon of choice is a 3 wt bamboo rod with an out of production Orvis Battenkill reel. If I ever decide to stop shooting comps and get back into FF, I'd bust this out again.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't fly fish anymore, too much driving to get to an actual trout stream. With that said, my weapon of choice is a 3 wt bamboo rod with an out of production Orvis Battenkill reel. If I ever decide to stop shooting comps and get back into FF, I'd bust this out again.

Very nice. I used to teach fly casting in my younger years. Much easier to teach with graphite rods.
    Me with a 12ish pound chum salmon caught my 4wt trout rod...(try as I might, could not get this stupid pic right)

Attachments

• chum.jpg
      chum.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 112

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Sorry for the delay, he was on a fishing trip and mom was in hospital. I spoke with him about it and since it won't be he's go to rig he'd like to just to find a vintage reel to use for trout occasionaly. I'll keep looking, my brother may have the reels and in the meantime a Redington Behemoth is heading his way.

He had a great time fishing the waters in Ohio and managed to catch 2 certificate fish, a 17" crappie and 21" smallmouth bass. He'll receive lapel pin for each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom