• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Doesn't your slug barrel have open sights on it? Why not use those? Should be good to 75, probably 100 yards for deer.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I never got my 500 to shoot well with any shell while the scope was on the receiver. I tried to shim the barrel. The connection from barrel to receiver was just too loose.

I ended up buying an ultra slug in 12 and a 220. The 500 is dedicated Turkey only now.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    It's a rifled barrel with the scope on a cantilever. I used an a adjustable padded rest. Started at 50 yards then moved out to 100. I was shooting sabots. I'd say the group was about 4-5 in. Then a couple weeks later, same range, same distance. Only difference was less wind the second time. This time it was shooting high, off the paper. Im just looking for it to be in the vitals every time.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    It's a rifled barrel with the scope on a cantilever. I used an a adjustable padded rest. Started at 50 yards then moved out to 100. I was shooting sabots. I'd say the group was about 4-5 in. Then a couple weeks later, same range, same distance. Only difference was less wind the second time. This time it was shooting high, off the paper. Im just looking for it to be in the vitals every time.

Three things....

1. How much difference in wind?

2. Did you change out barrels in between sessions?

3. Everything tight on scope mountings?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Three things....

1. How much difference in wind?

2. Did you change out barrels in between sessions?

3. Everything tight on scope mountings?

1. Probably about 10 mphish, but what threw me off was that it was shooting high, not off left or right.

2. Nope, same barrel.

3. Yes, as far as I remember (I had already made that mistake once before. )

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    1. Probably about 10 mphish, but what threw me off was that it was shooting high, not off left or right.

2. Nope, same barrel.

3. Yes, as far as I remember (I had already made that mistake once before. )
    RE: # 2..... But, did you swap it out for the field barrel and put the slug barrel back on?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I wouldn’t count on Hornady slugs. Hornady vs Browning in Savage 220, both groups are 5 shot at 100 yards. Hornady was shot first.
    f358634385c856faa3f459e7b66ab756.jpg

79b10a9049491fcce4f793e8935c4fec.jpg

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I used a 12ga Moss 500 for deer for 10+ years.
    It came with a field barrel and a rifled slug barrel (iron sites), that thing is dead nuts out to 100 yds.
    I could keep a 4" group at 100 yds with iron sites till my eyes got bad.
    Mounted a red dot on the receiver and used it for another few years untill I went to a H&R 20ga USH

Only issue with the Moss 500 is that there is no lightening the trigger. A Rem 870 you could get an after market trigger

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'll second the suggestion for Nikon scopes if you can find them, I have a Nikon Slughunter with BDC-200 reticle on mine and it holds a zero like nobody's business. I've dismounted the barrel (cantilever scope mount of a smooth-bore slug barrel) with the scope still on, thrown it in the safe when swapping out for birds, come back the next season, thrown it back on, and not had to make much in the way of adjustments at all.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    My Mossberg 500 combo rifled barrel will hold 3" 3shot groups at 100 yds all day with Remington accutips or copper solid. Hornady will hold 8" groups. Expensive Federals will not hold 36".

My Winchester 1300 rifled barrel did not like Sabots of any flavor. I does like 3"Rem rifled slugs for some reason. 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.

The SBII loves the Accutips and Copper solid sabots and is more accurate than the 1300.

As you can see from the above, shotguns are oftentimes just like rifles. Some will shoot certain loads better than others. I'd try as big a variety as possible. Nothing wrong with Hornady slugs; your gun just might not "like" them. Much easier and cheaper to have one gun and find a load it likes than having one load and trying to find a shotgun that likes them.

As mentioned by others, I'd be inclined to upgrade your scope too. Even if it is working fine now, shotgun recoil is pretty fierce. A slug gun is NOT the place for cheap optics. Then check to make sure your mount and rings are tightened correctly; your barrel tightened to the receiver. Finally, test your multiple different loads to see which your Mossy likes.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    As you can see from the above, shotguns are oftentimes just like rifles. Some will shoot certain loads better than others. I'd try as big a variety as possible. Nothing wrong with Hornady slugs; your gun just might not "like" them. Much easier and cheaper to have one gun and find a load it likes than having one load and trying to find a shotgun that likes them.

As mentioned by others, I'd be inclined to upgrade your scope too. Even if it is working fine now, shotgun recoil is pretty fierce. A slug gun is NOT the place for cheap optics. Then check to make sure your mount and rings are tightened correctly; your barrel tightened to the receiver. Finally, test your multiple different loads to see which your Mossy likes.

Sounds like a good plan. Thank you all for the input. I hope to have this gun up and running for this coming season.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I got great accuracy from my 500 from time to time,2 or 3 would be almost touching at 100 yrds,then a flyer 6 - 8 inches away would happen.This happened everytime.I finally gave up and began to use my inline ML and never looked back.It might be only one shot,but I know exactly where its going,every time

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I had Eotech's and changed them out for Vortex's. Great scopes, hold zero, and guaranteed for life! Had a problem with one and they replaced it straight away without a question.

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    I've bought a few combos, and I always change out the "Combo" scopes. When you can find a rifle with scope cheaper than you can find the rifle/shotgun , you have to wonder about the scope quality. Good rings and a good scope always help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom