• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    We have had a rash of "larceny from vehicles" in our Lauraville neighborhood in Baltimore City over the past year and have been meeting with community groups and police to try to stop this. After having some things stolen from my car, I had a Viper alarm installed and have been less than happy with it since it has some quirks and is still being "fixed" by the installer.

I awoke at about 12:25am this morning to the sound of my car alarm going off. I got up and pulled my XDM from my bedside safe and let the dog (german shepherd) out into the back yard. He didn't immediately see anything and I went to investigate the car. I cautiously looked around the yard and circled the car and found the drivers side door was open but nothing appeared to be missing. I shut the door and re-armed the alarm and pulled the video camera feed while calling 911 (about 12:33am). I printed the attached snapshot and waited for the police. At 1:06am, I called 911 again. At about 1:20am an officer arrived in front of my house. I put my XDM on my coffee table and took the photos to meet him in my front yard.

I'm not stupid enough to go toward the officer with a gun in my hand while he is responding to a call and if I left my yard, there is a legal issue. He asked to come in and noticed that I had the XDM on my coffee table. He wasn't alarmed but asked if I had a "license" for it. This is an odd question considering it was inside my home and a "license" isn't required (HQL for purchase is now required and regulated firearm transfers are registered but this isn't the situation). I responded that it was legal and he let it go. I could have seen this going another way if he had not believed me.

It seems that officers should have a better grasp of gun laws given the frequency of issues that arise in Baltimore City. I'm not naming the officer since I believe that may not have received adequate training in this area and he was otherwise professional and handled the situation.

After he arrived, he did some paperwork and about half-way through, I realized that he was under the impression that my car was stolen. I clarified that the car was entered but not stolen and he said that the dispatch put it out as a stolen vehicle. He fixed the paperwork and got another officer to get fingerprints from the door since it appeared to be clear where the suspect touched the car.

Bottom line:
    Calling 911 for Police in Baltimore takes about an hour and two calls for 911 to get an officer to the house for a "stolen vehicle" call. I would hope this would be faster if the call was for an imminent danger.

This reinforces that I am my own first line of defense in the city.

Attachments

• 20150622-002529-car-breakin.jpg
      20150622-002529-car-breakin.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 1,866

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    BTW - if anybody knows this guy, please PM me the information. He didn't take anything from my car since he was scared away by the alarm but he and his accomplice seem to have hit several other vehicles on the street (Montebello Terrace between Harford Road and Cold Spring lane)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Young black male in basketball shorts and a wife beater.

Huh,...... you don't say? :sad20:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I don't lock my vehicles. It's an inconvenience for me and my family.

Difference is, I also don't go around checking peoples doors to see if they are locked, because,.... it's not my car. Rather have someone rummage through my papers and find nothing than blow out a window to...... find nothing.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The police probably will not do much. I probably would print out copies and post them on telephone poles for reward. That's a great photo; he should get nabbed quick. Good job on having a camera.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I don't lock my vehicles. It's an inconvenience for me and my family.

Difference is, I also don't go around checking peoples doors to see if they are locked, because,.... it's not my car. Rather have someone rummage through my papers and find nothing than blow out a window to...... find nothing.

In theory that sounds good, but I didn't lock my truck for the same reason and twice had the window broken and the papers inside rummaged through and trashed. The idiots were too stupid to check the door to see if it was locked.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    About ten years ago I had the contents of two large cube vans stolen. I'm sure by a former employee. About $18000 worth of gear. Howard County Police would not even send an officer to my office. Theft from a vehicle, gave me a report number over the phone and that was that. Didn't want the name or any other info. Hell at least you got someone to show up.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    About ten years ago I had the contents of two large cube vans stolen. I'm sure by a former employee. About $18000 worth of gear. Howard County Police would not even send an officer to my office. Theft from a vehicle, gave me a report number over the phone and that was that. Didn't want the name or any other info. Hell at least you got someone to show up.

Years ago at Suburban Airport, they had video of guy who flew in and started popping airplane doors and removing radios and instruments from panels of airplanes. That is a federal crime, disabling aircraft. AA county nor the Feds were interested..

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    He asked to come in and noticed that I had the XDM on my coffee table. He wasn't alarmed but asked if I had a "license" for it. This is an odd question considering it was inside my home and a "license" isn't required (HQL for purchase is now required and regulated firearm transfers are registered but this isn't the situation). I responded that it was legal and he let it go. I could have seen this going another way if he had not believed me.

It seems that officers should have a better grasp of gun laws given the frequency of issues that arise in Baltimore City. I'm not naming the officer since I believe that may not have received adequate training in this area and he was otherwise professional and handled the situation.

I see 2 other possibilities ... he could have been fishing, or he could have just used the wrong words to ask his question. Inside and outside officialdom, not all of us use the same vocabulary ... and at 1:20 am, I'd excuse anyone's precision in language.

Since he accepted your verbal response that the gun was legal, it would seem to me the 'license' question was most likely his middle of the night shorthand for 'legal'.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd send that in to your local paper.

Little Johnny is someone's child, someone knows who that kid is by that photo alone...

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Young black male in basketball shorts and a wife beater.

Huh,...... you don't say? :sad20:

That is so racist and sexist. HOw do you know he self-identifies as black or male? He could well consider himself a norwegian woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom