• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I've decided to get a CCW permit, but I don't know which one I should choose. Some say Virginia (which is where I grew up), while others say I should get Florida (where I was born). I realize my past affiliations count for absolutely nothing, but what does count is reciprocity.

I also am cognizant of the fact that Marylanders can put in for them, but that they mean nothing in Maryland. (In fact, each permit issued to people in our commonwealth comes with a small canister with a bore cleaner and Mil-Spec lubricant. That way, when a Maryland cop catches you with it, it won't hurt so much when he...well, you get the picture! :(

So what would you guys recommend? Florida, Virginia or some other state?

Also, have any of you guys ever done the open carry in Virginia, say, in the national parks? (Certainly Virginia National Park Rangers understand the predicament we Marylanders are in, right?)

Have any of you open carried anywhere else in Virginia besides national parks?

The thing that sparked all this is that my wife is planning on a summer vacation and wanted to go hiking in a national park in upstate New York or in New Jersey somewhere. I recalled an incident where a newly wed couple were stalked by a bear. The man tried to lead away the bear while his wife got help, but the bear circled back and got the woman. They found her partially eaten body a short distance away from where they split up. They shouldn't have been out there without protection of some sort.

Bear spray may work for bears, but for humans, I prefer to be armed. Also, there's a guy by the name of David Palides on YouTube. A former cop, he doesn't go into any national park unless he's armed.

Anyway, thanks!

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Many of us have Utah, which is honored in a bunch of states and is relatively inexpensive (the cost of the required training is fixed by law at $60). NJ is essentially as bad as MD as far as honoring out of state permits - BAD mojo.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How about

Attachments

• Trump Rally 10.jpg
      Trump Rally 10.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 753

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    AFAIK New York and New Jersey don't honor anyone's permits. www.Handgunlaw.us

Thousands of people trek up and down the Appalachian Trail every year. 11 have been murdered in in 43 years.
    That's 2 or 3 weekends in Baltimore.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you want to head north in the summertime and hike while carrying, go to Vermont. It's beautiful, affordable, and constitutional carry. I won't even travel through New Jersey with an assembled firearm. When we went to Vermont last summer, I took my carry gun apart and put the parts in four separate bags because we had to pass through NJ. I've heard too many bad things about NJ and guns. It almost seems like the NJ State Police never heard of FOPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Get a NH and a Florida. NH is the only one with OOS reciprocity with PA. Florida covers you for DE. Then you have all surrounding states covered.

As mentioned NY and NJ gun laws are worse than MD. Go to WV, PA or NH for vacation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It will partially depend on your priorities of which specific states you frequently vist/ are important to you.

Penna - Need a NH
    Florida - Florida
    Delaware - Utah
    Virginia - ( Specifically for GFSZ redundencyl) - Va
    Las Vegas - Arizona

For all around, whole buncha states, UT, FL, AZ basically tied, Va just barely behind.

UT requires a UT specific class, but it is readily available from several of our IP's and others at reasonable cost. And Utah is inexpensive ( most inexpensive ? ), with cheap renewals .

But if Del and Penna are equally important to you, you will need two Non-resident permits. But both Del and Pa are open carry friendly (except Phila) if you only occasionally vist there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you think you may go to Florida, you'll need Florida's permit, because it's the only one they honor.
    I have Utah, which is good in many states, but no longer recognized in Pennsylvania. Same for the Arizona permit.
    For Pennsylvania, you need either a New Hampshire permit (available by mail), or Texas (need to take the Texas class in person, in Texas).

Virginia gives you extra legal protection in Virginia School Zones, so it's good to have if you go to Virginia.

For the Mid Atlantic region, a combination of Virginia and New Hampshire is probably best these days.

Open Carry without a permit is basically legal in all neighboring states, but there are pitfalls to be wary of. Check Handgunlaw.us for more specific information, as well as links to official government/LE agencies in any state you might carry in.

Basically, National Parks follow state laws, but don't assume any individual park ranger or LE officer is up on the latest laws.

==============

Imagine if this nonsense still prevailed for driver's licenses, as it did well into the 1920s!

What is the best non-resident driver's license to have?

Well, if you go to Florida, you need a Florida license. Otherwise, my Utah license is good in 30 states, but not Pennsylvania. To drive in Pennsylvania, you need a New Hampshire driver's license, obviously.
    I can drive in Virginia on my Utah license, but if I get caught speeding in a Virginia School Zone, the penalty is death. If I get a Virginia license, the school zone penalty is only flogging...

Of course, nobody recognizes a Maryland license!

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Or get Texas :) Blue is good to go . PA and DE included

Attachments

• map.JPG
      map.JPG
      39.8 KB · Views: 630

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    OC in Philadelphia is illegal without a permit.

The problem with Texas is you have to travel there to get the training.

If you want PA, get the NH permit. much easier, no training, no prints, no photo. 100 bucks

FL or UT gets you DE. If you want FL, you need that one

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Why no love for AZ? I think the same number of states and takes any NRA training and no photos. Plus, it's the same price as utah.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have OC'd all over VA with no issues. Old Town Alexandria, Fairfax,Manassas, Warrenton, Culpepper, Middleburg, Crystal City

No one cares, including LE. Most nod and smile, cuz they get it. A few liberal snowflakes whisper, but I've never had a problem

I have a VA NR permit to ensure compliance with the GFSZA.

RL Suehr

May 24, 2017
    I have PA (I'm a resident) and Florida. That covers about as much as I can get on the east coast. As others said get New Hampshire if you want PA as a MD resident. PA will issue nonresident, but you have to have a "home state" license to get it.

PA is very oc friendly (Philly excluded), but remember you need a permit from any state to transport in a vehicle as a non PA resident. There are some exceptions, but basically you need some permit to travel to PA and oc.

As was said NY and NJ don't recognize any other states permits. Avoid them if you want to carry on vacation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Honest, I'm NOT trying to pick on that fine gentleman Threeband today .

But Maryland W&C IS recognized by several state. But only because they passed blanket recognition of All Permits. Maryland recognizes no other State's permit, so that does eliminate all t h e states that link recignation to recognition of their resident's Permits .

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Honest, I'm NOT trying to pick on that fine gentleman Threeband today .

But Maryland W&C IS recognized by several state. But only because they passed blanket recognition of All Permits. Maryland recognizes no other State's permit, so that does eliminate all t h e states that link recignation to recognition of their resident's Permits .
    Michigan being a very notable example. If you have a Maryland permit CCW in Detroit is good to go. If you already go to Baltimore regularly than sadly Detroit is a step up now. Lower murder rate.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    23 states recognize the MD W&C permit. Only 3 states recognize MD and don't recognize all other states permits

WI, MT, TX

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom