• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A sub 90 decibel 9mm suppressor for a pistol. How feasible is that?

A foreign gunsmith has claimed that he has designed a 9mm screw on can that will suppress a full powered 9mm round from a 1911 to a suppressed sound level of 80-90 decibels.

I have not seen a center fire can meter at less than 116 decibels.

I'm waiting on actual certified sound level test . If this is true , he's on to something.

I questioned the claim and I'm automatically on the Azx-hole list. We will see. Trust but verify.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That can't be possible with the sonic crack, can it? The DeLisle carbine suppressed the .45 ACP to 80 db, but that was a carbine and the can was huge.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    That can't be possible with the sonic crack, can it? The DeLisle carbine suppressed the .45 ACP to 80 db, but that was a carbine and the can was huge.

The de lisle carbine and welrod pistol can attain this, but both are bolt guns.

This gunsmith is saying that he can do better with a standard diameter can , threaded can with a Nielsen device.

The mechanical noise alone on such a set up can easily exceed 90 decibels.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

This. Unless you're shooting subsonic ammo it's going to be louder than that.

The mechanical noise alone on such a set up can easily exceed 90 decibels.

Also this. The bolt closing on an AR is around 109dB, for example. I don't know what the dB level of a 1911 slide cycling is, but it's got to be up around the 90dB level at least.

I would also be on the skeptic list if this is claimed to be a "normal" sized can.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I don't think it can be done w/o being a bolt gun. The action of most guns simply cycling will be over that level.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But, but, but, on TV and in movies silenced pistols are silent. Even revolvers.

:D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Has anyone ever laid eyes on the suppressor by Jesse James that was supposed to tame the 5.56 to some ridiculously low decibel level?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    That can was initially metered at 78 Db as per the manufacturer. But this claim was heavily scrutinized and challenged. The website now indicates 116 Db . If true, that's damn quiet for a 5.56 can.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Until I saw multiple, independent tests backing up that claim - I'd still be waiting with the BS flag in waiting.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Update on this stupid thing.

The manufacturer claims 76 decibels on a compact 1911 chambered in 45 ACP.

They were using an environmental sound meter to measure the sound. Those things aren't capable of recording short sound pulses.

I thought they've develop the holy grail of screw on cans on a semi auto. Still a decent can though . Still quieter than a KAC 45 acp suppressor.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Has anyone ever laid eyes on the suppressor by Jesse James that was supposed to tame the 5.56 to some ridiculously low decibel level?

A 90 decibel 9mm suppressor on an auto loading platform definitely sounds like a Jessie James claim.

There were also claims that his 5.56 can was full auto rated and did not produce mirage which would impair optics. (I guess the barrel itself will, but not the suppressor)

Again, those claims along with the claim of 75ish dB have been called out on many forums and shot down. Apparently using an iphone to measure sound standing 25 feet away isn't a controlled scientific measurement. And it turns out that Jessie James did not discover a way to overcome basic laws of thermodynamics and yes his can does heat up. Apparently Jessie James is using the same logic in this gun business as he did his bike business. People will buy a name regardless of how terrible the product is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom