• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I have two lowers that I want to do before 41p. I know I am going to do one with a 10.5 barrel. Not sure what I want to list the other as.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have two lowers that I want to do before 41p. I know I am going to do one with a 10.5 barrel. Not sure what I want to list the other as.

How's about a 10.5 in 300 blk? Or maybe a 9mm. You can put any other upper you want as long as you can return it to its original configuration or advise atf of a configuration change. IANAL

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

List it as anything, and then you can change it later.

The ATF "requests" that you notify them if you permanently change the configuration (i.e. you don't have the parts to return it to what it's listed as) but there is no legal requirement to do so.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Since you can change the configuration of an SBR at will, I'm not sure why you'd need more than 1 (or two) built from a stripped lower. You can change caliber and barrel lengths all day as long as you can revert to the original configuration.
    I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to keep switching uppers.
    SBR'ing existing rifles would be a little different depending on the rifle.
    As Chad stated, it might not be a bad idea to possibly "future proof" part of your collection should it come to that..................or have a boating accident...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Since you can change the configuration of an SBR at will, I'm not sure why you'd need more than 1 (or two) built from a stripped lower. You can change caliber and barrel lengths all day as long as you can revert to the original configuration.
    I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to keep switching uppers.
    SBR'ing existing rifles would be a little different depending on the rifle.
    As Chad stated, it might not be a bad idea to possibly "future proof" part of your collection should it come to that..................or have a boating accident...

For me, its buffers. Different calibers sometimes require different buffer weights. Then there's the 9mm dilemma...

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If the lower is marked 556, can you any other caliber on the F1? I have a couple I want to SBR, but they have 556 on them and I was thinking about a 9mm and 300. What should I put on the F1?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If the lower is marked 556, can you any other caliber on the F1? I have a couple I want to SBR, but they have 556 on them and I was thinking about a 9mm and 300. What should I put on the F1?

It doesn't matter, frankly.

You list whatever caliber you're going to build the SBR as on the Form 1, and it doesn't matter how the lower is marked. Then later if you change the caliber permanently (i.e. you no longer have the parts to return it to the other caliber) the ATF requests that you inform them, but it's not legally required. Technically you could just put 5.56 on all of the Form 1s and then build them into whatever you want and tell the ATF afterword.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm going to SBR a few lowers, not through a trust. I assuming I can't efile them I don't believe. Best to go online and print out the Form 1's...how do I get the fingerprint cards? Last time I got them through the shop I bought my suppressors from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom