• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    This have to get better they can't get much worse also for those that have an interest in specialized units......currently this is not the place for you

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I'm sorry but I feel like agencies lose a lot of good candidates over the College degree requirement. I applaud people who go and graduate but I fail to see how a guy who could have a degree in math would be a better police officer than someone who has a high school diploma.

Rant over

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm sorry but I feel like agencies lose a lot of good candidates over the College degree requirement. I applaud people who go and graduate but I fail to see how a guy who could have a degree in math would be a better police officer than someone who has a high school diploma.

Rant over

I don't disagree.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I don't disagree.

Sorry, I just finished the process with an agency myself. I only did one semester of college so the requirement has kept me out of quite a few opportunities. I feel like I have a lot to offer to an agency and quite a few LEO friends/corworkers who would agree.

Good luck to those who apply and thanks for posting...I always try to check out any agency that is hiring.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    For what they are paying probationary officers to work and live in commuting distance to the DC Metro area that starting pay is laughable. PLUS THEY DONT GIVE YOU A TAKE HOME CAR. Many of the surrounding counties starting pay is getting close to that 54k they are offering. PG/MOCO/HOCO and even AACO would be better choices.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    PG is a better choice. New retirement is now 25 years but... still come out ahead. If you apply to PG LMK! I'll split the finders fee with you....

MPD does not have much to sweeten the pot.... I hope they don't loosen standards for numbers like before.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I applied for an opening at the Secret Service back in the 70's but since I only had the equivalent of a 2 year AA degree they could not take me. Their loss.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ok, I always wanted to give it a try. How old is too old to start pursuing a career as a law man?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

A more recent academy class had 51 and 49 YOA. One of them was a retired exec with a local company. Was denied years ago... figured try again. And that recruit is doing very well. Both of them. If it is a passion you have, do it.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ok, I always wanted to give it a try. How old is too old to start pursuing a career as a law man?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Not sure how old you are but if it's something you really want don't let age hold you back. Go in with a never quit mentality while remaining humble at the same time. Accept the fact that there will be folks younger than you who will probably be faster, stronger, more endurance, etc... but also know there WILL BE younger folks who don't have as much heart who will give up before you ever do.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD

Rant over

I don't think it requires a degree but college credits. If you really need the job, I think 2 years of full time is worth it. As far as how useful it is, now a day is all about report writings, every citizen needs a report when they called.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I think if law enforcement agencies were honest they would say something like, "Become a cop if the fire department won't hire you". Or, "It beats being homeless".

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    LOL because that would include mpdc4511 :D
    Lol, no, that's not what I mean. The caliber of new hires has gotten much, much better. The working conditions, however, are pitiful. More and more is asked from you, with much less in return. I really don't know how we keep anyone.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    I applied and was interviewed with the Baltimore City PD back in 1998-99.

I just realized that I am old.............give me a minute.

A candidate sitting across from me told me that this was his second time going through the process because he 'got high as sh*t the last time before the interview, and they threw me out'

Being idealistic as well as diabetic I figured I was screwed if I proceeded any further.

I have a lot of LE in my family and they get to see the worst of society on a daily basis. If the caliber, determination, and character of applicants is rising, awesome. Unfortunately a lot of Americans need to get their entitled heads out of their asses to make this work

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom