• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Looking for opinions of value...I have a couple of other CMP M1 Garands so I think I'm going to let this one go. It has a very nice stock and shoots well...the only downside being the CAI receiver.

What kind of value would this have in today's M1 Garand crazy world? Any thoughts?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Depends on the price. It might be a great shooter but the market says it's not worth as much as one without the import marks. I have a M1 I purchased back in the '80s from FW Woolworth for something like $179 or so. I built it into a match rifle as accurate as any I've ever shot.

It all depends on what you want to do with it...shoot it and enjoy it or want to make a profit down the road.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Depends on the rest of the parts and the combined sum of them. A used VAR barrel that gauges good would be a plus. Stock condition, un-sanded with some arsenal markings gets people all nuts. (lockup) Op rod, cut or uncut with certain drawing numbers and manufactures for the ones who like to correct rifles will add some value.
    You could have sight parts that are valuable just by themselves or early numbered parts to offset any detraction's from the receiver.
    The bottom line on that is how well the safety bridge performs, bolt lug contact, op rod slot milling and wear and sight knob serrations.
    Some people will want the receiver for a wall hanger or display rifle.
    I would value it at or nearly the same as one of the cast Springfield inc rifles if certain parts are evident with a decent stock, bolt and barrel.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    In light of these comments, I might add that if anyone considers it recreational to take apart M1 Garand rifles and look at the parts to figure out the REAL value of a rifle like this...I don't mind traveling within reason. I'm on the eastern shore just across the bridge from Annapolis and just past Kent Island...

I even have a couple of CMP M1 Garands that could use the same scrutiny.

And I can always use a good education...

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    To anyone who knows about Garands a CAI receivered rifle is worth the sum of the parts less the expense of removing the barrel from the receiver.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I say about 6-8 hundred bucks. If you want big money you have the right reciever etc. CMP still sells rifles for under 1000 might not be mint but they shoot well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Depends on the price. It might be a great shooter but the market says it's not worth as much as one without the import marks. I have a M1 I purchased back in the '80s from FW Woolworth for something like $179 or so. I built it into a match rifle as accurate as any I've ever shot.

It all depends on what you want to do with it...shoot it and enjoy it or want to make a profit down the road.

I worked at Woolworth in the mid 80’s. We sold Garands for $99 and carbines for $89. I got a 15% employee discount. Of course I was making $2.85/hr, so couldn’t afford them.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I worked at Woolworth in the mid 80’s. We sold Garands for $99 and carbines for $89. I got a 15% employee discount. Of course I was making $2.85/hr, so couldn’t afford them.

Ugh! I remember when I was 18 years old (1978) you could get an original Colt AR-15 from the local gun shop for like $250. But yeah, $250 to a high school student was a lot of money, esp. if you wanted to own and maintain a car and go out on dates. The gun might as well have been on the moon.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ugh! I remember when I was 18 years old (1978) you could get an original Colt AR-15 from the local gun shop for like $250. But yeah, $250 to a high school student was a lot of money, esp. if you wanted to own and maintain a car and go out on dates. The gun might as well have been on the moon.

My first 1911 was a Colt Mark IV Series 70. $295 list price in 1977.

But gas was under $1 a gallon.

And the Federal minimum wage was $2.65 per hour. So $5,500 per year.

And I remember, sometime around then, the definition of rich, was an annual income of $72,000 for a family of 4.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

I bought one of those Garands and still have it.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Woolworth purchased M1 I built this .308 match rifle on...it has a pre-war receiver...
    M1-Garand.jpg

M1-rear-quarter.jpg

M1-front-view.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom