• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I’ve had a few odd experiences with Leupold this year, and I’m wondering if something is up with them. Earlier this year, I ordered two sets of rings/bases, one had the wrong size screws for the rifle model receiver, and the other had so much threadlock on the windage screws that they bound up while installing and rounded out the slotted heads. I called Leupold and they promptly mailed out replacement screws. In September, I purchased a vx3i 4.5-14x40. The elevation adjustment had a spot at approximately “44 clicks” from the top where it bound up. When it was at that point, I was also unable to change the power on the scope. I was unable to get it anywhere close to zero. That scope was returned to the retailer for a refund. In November, I placed an order with the Leupold custom shop. I ordered a Rifleman 4-12x40 to be built with a heavy duplex reticle. This was for a Christmas Gift. I was quite surprised when it was opened this morning and what was built and shipped was a Rifleman 3-9x40 with a wide duplex reticle. I have Leupold scopes on a number of firearms, never had an issue, and really like that they are made in the USA. But jeesh, did they hire minimum wage unskilled labor or something?

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    It was over for me when the first time I saw them hanging in plastic clamshell wrapping in Walmart.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I’ve never seen Leupold in plastic wrap. Hope they’re not going way down hill.

The 2 I have both came in a box, but the last one was maybe 5 years ago. The Redfield scopes by Leupold come in boxes as late as last year. Come to think of it every scope I have bought, with the exception of a bb gun scope in the early 80's, came in a box.

Leupold scopes have a lifetime guarantee, call customer service they should take it back and fix it.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The 2 I have both came in a box, but the last one was maybe 5 years ago. The Redfield scopes by Leupold come in boxes as late as last year. Come to think of it every scope I have bought, with the exception of a bb gun scope in the early 80's, came in a box.

Leupold scopes have a lifetime guarantee, call customer service they should take it back and fix it.

I’ve already sent an email with my original order confirmation, and a picture of the work order that I received with the scope as well as a picture from the label on the box. If they’re open tomorrow, I’m hoping to get a call to get the correct one made.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I left the firearms industry in 2017 but before then I saw a lot of scopes over 6 years. I saw a lot of Leupolds with spotty or mediocre glass, especially the cheaper lines. I wouldn't buy one myself.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are like a lot of companies.

1) Low cost lines. They have low cost lines, made overseas, to compete purely on price.

2) Lack of QC, many companies have found it is cheaper to provide after sales service than the go GOOD QC up front.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    When I made the order, I originally wanted to have the vx-freedom scope made with the heavy duplex. But the custom shop rep said that the heavy duplex wasn’t able to be put in the freedom line so I ordered the Rifleman.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    They are like a lot of companies.

1) Low cost lines. They have low cost lines, made overseas, to compete purely on price.

2) Lack of QC, many companies have found it is cheaper to provide after sales service than the go GOOD QC up front.

The box this one is in has this printed on it: designed, machined and assembled in the USA.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Someone figured out that there is lots of money to made offering cheaper scopes. I don't know if they outperform their competition at a given price point or not but I am happy with all mine. I got a VX-5HD 1-5x24mm this year and it came in a box and I am happy with it.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Leupold went low a few years ago and I think it has allowed others to go high end on them. If nothing but from a prestige point, you don't want to put a $2k scope on a $$ rifle and have others think the scope came from Walmart which is now possible with Leupold.

They may have made more $$ in the short term by going cheap with the low end overseas lines but it will hurt them. Will also hurt them when those companies keep making them after Leupold has their quota for the year/contract. Sure, they may not mark them Leupold nor will it have their warranty but if they are sold at 1/2 the price many will buy them and further dilute their market.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For me, looking through basically any trijicon or zeiss scope killed any chance of me getting a fancier line of Leopold. For the money of any level Leopold, there's other brands that are better.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The box this one is in has this printed on it: designed, machined and assembled in the USA.
    Two things:
    1. Being made in the USA doesn't guarantee good QC. Funny thing is, being made in the USA actually means QC is MORE expensive.
    2. My understanding is that all of Leupy's scopes are at least assembled in the USA, but the parts (including glass) may come from overseas, including China. Recall that while they may be assembling and machining in the USA, I'm guessing a fair number of parts are cast outside of it. That doesn't bother me much, because casting stuff ain't rocket science. Hell, assembling a scope isn't a new thing, either, if you want to get down to it.

Leupold makes some decent stuff (and some very good stuff at the high end), and kudos to them for at least trying to keep a fair bit of their manufacturing capability in the USA. But you get what you pay for no matter where it's made. Truth is, one of my favorite LPVOs is made in the Phillipines (Burris XTR II 1.5-8x DFP), and if I'm able to get that cheaper because it's made there, well... so be it. The end result is what counts.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Two things:
    1. Being made in the USA doesn't guarantee good QC. Funny thing is, being made in the USA actually means QC is MORE expensive.
    2. My understanding is that all of Leupy's scopes are at least assembled in the USA, but the parts (including glass) may come from overseas, including China. Recall that while they may be assembling and machining in the USA, I'm guessing a fair number of parts are cast outside of it. That doesn't bother me much, because casting stuff ain't rocket science. Hell, assembling a scope isn't a new thing, either, if you want to get down to it.

Leupold makes some decent stuff (and some very good stuff at the high end), and kudos to them for at least trying to keep a fair bit of their manufacturing capability in the USA. But you get what you pay for no matter where it's made. Truth is, one of my favorite LPVOs is made in the Phillipines (Burris XTR II 1.5-8x DFP), and if I'm able to get that cheaper because it's made there, well... so be it. The end result is what counts.

This was the reason I posted. My original post, first and last line probably sum this up. I’m sure Leupold will get it right once I make contact with them.
    FWIW, the vx3i that I purchased (and returned) in September wasn’t IMO a low end scope, that thing was almost $500.00. After I returned it, I replaced it with a Vortex Crossfire 4-12x42. I’m pretty happy with that one, especially since I put it on an old 700BDL and killed a nice 9 point in WV with it. This may be my last Leupold scope purchase. I try to patronize US companies, with US workers and don’t mind spending extra to do so, but I also expect with the extra cost to have a decent product, whether it is a scope, hand tools, or whatever.

Update: I just got off the phone with the Custom Shop. They are going to make a new scope, and are doing a free upgrade from the Rifleman to the Freedom line.
    I also asked a few questions about their manufacturing process. Everything except the lenses are manufactured in house. The rep said that there are 4-5 manufacturers worldwide that essentially supply lenses to the various scope builders, depending on what their specs are.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I'd like to see where the glass is made. "Assembled" or any other term than "made" in USA is always a red flag to me.

The rep I spoke to, said all parts except the glass are made on site. According to him The glass is from a lens Manufacturer in Japan, that is the only foreign parts in the thing.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Point 2.

And anyway, mistakes happen. It will be interesting to hear their response.

I edited my post above after speaking to them. They sent me a shipping label to send the wrong one back, it’s already on its way. They are making a new scope, and making it in the next line “up” the Freedom line at no charge. The rep said they are prioritizing the build to get it back to me ASAP.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    They’ve lowered the price point of some, aka China made, so low budget hunters can say they have a Leupold. But their high end expensive stuff is very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom