• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I also have the Colt/Walther/Umarex and love it. I have 2500 rounds thru it. Works great with and without suppressor. The gun eats everything.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Both the GSG ( SIG, etc) and Umarex ( Colt, etc ) are full size , and use authentic 1911 control , trigger mechanisms, and sights. The other internals are different . To greatly oversimplify - The GSG is closer to actual 1911 , Umarex is more reliable as a freestanding simple blowback .

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    M9-22 photo

Thought I'd throw in a picture of the Beretta M9-22. My son is out of town so I can't do a side by side photo of the M9 9mm next to the 22. They look exactly alike and are exactly the same size except the 9mm is heavier. Just looking at the picture makes me want to head to the range. The lettering on the slide says Beretta USA but this gun is made by Umarex in Germany.

Attachments

• IMG_20180207_192108182.jpg
      IMG_20180207_192108182.jpg
      115.4 KB · Views: 578
    Last edited:

Bel Air Guy

Jul 29, 2013
    No one has mentioned the Kimber 1911 22 Target. The workmanship is first rate. Accuracy is exceptional and functions well. I have about 3000 rounds on mine and love it. The draw back is the price, not for the faint of heart.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Here is what you want although maybe not in your configuration. Made by a gunsmith I know from CA named Kurt Grimes who builds world class competition 1911 22 conversions. I see his latest builds on the Rimfire Racegun Facebook site. It a Tactical Solutions upper on an STI competition frame. And from a competition stand point no self respecting rimfire competition shooter would use a Sig, GSG, or Colt 1911-22 unless he already owned it and could not afford anything else. Heck even Max Michel the top Sig shooter does not use the Sig 1911-22 in competition.
    Kurt Grimes-1911-22.jpg

Here is what you want although maybe not in your configuration. Made by a gunsmith I know from CA named Kurt Grimes who builds world class competition 1911 22 conversions. I see his latest builds on the Rimfire Racegun Facebook site. It a Tactical Solutions upper on an STI competition frame. And from a competition stand point no self respecting rimfire competition shooter would use a Sig, GSG, or Colt 1911-22 unless he already owned it and could not afford anything else. Heck even Max Michel the top Sig shooter does not use the Sig 1911-22 in competition.
    View attachment 225902
    That thing is WILD! What kind of price range would his builds be

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That thing is WILD! What kind of price range would his builds be

Not sure exactly. A centerfire double stack 1911 racegun would run you about $4k or close to it (I think my STI in 9x23mm cost me about $3.8K).
    Maybe $2k and I am guessing. I know what a bare STI frame and TacSol upper costs, about $1500 combined. But you could get one built on a single stack frame that would cost less. Some of the stuff on that one you would not need or want and the jazzy cerakote finishes he does would be custom work. He is known for his cerakote gun and stock finishes. He build a 10/22 for Michael Bane (a friend) of the Outdoor Channel in a Zebra pattern. Mike said on his program Shooting Gallery that if he puts the rifle on top of the real zebra skin on his wall it practically vanishes.:)
    You would have to ask him about his pricing.
    Here is another of his:
    Kurt Grimes-2.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    View attachment 225902

I have to take one thing I said back. and that is that the GSG 22 conversion kit (maybe not the 1911-22 they sell) can work decently if its put in the right 1911. I have owned a GSG conversion kit for a couple of years. It was cheap at the time on sale for $150. I tried to make it work in my DW Commander but it never liked it, so I put it on the shelf and forgot about it. But last weekend I was talking to Kurt Grimes about sending him my old STI lower to build a rimfire race gun out of. And I got to thinking why not try the GSG kit in my recently won 1911 Colt Competition .45. And believe it or not it ran flawlessly, at least for the few mags I loaded up some CCI MM 36g in. I don't like the plastic sights though, and the GSG looks like it uses the same dovetail slot size as the Colt. Might get 2 pair of FO sights from Dawson and put on both. This might be a good RFPI (Rimfire Pistol Irons) gun to try out plus give me some practice without using up .45 ammo. Gun even looks the same as both the Colt and GSG slides are black.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had a kimber .22 conversion. I just didn't like going back and forth between .22 and .45. It's like having different uppers for an AR lower. Eventually I get tired of going back and forth and just make a complete gun. That said, I have two MK .22s an ATM lightning and a Ruger MKIII 22/45 both work really well and have been reliable. My BIL has the GSG 19-22 and it works great, the last round hold open feature is nice and it has a threaded barrel. The trigger is nice and it's an accurate reliable pistol. I'm not going to put 2K into a .22 pistol or really any pistol.

I'd say for the money the GSG which I believe is the same as the SIG without the logo is a good bet for what the OP wants and without breaking the bank. I almost bought one a while back but couldn't justify having 3 semi .22 pistols.

I ended up going with the PPQ 22(obviously not a 1911), and I LOVE IT. Shooting it suppressed is a dream, I've heard louder squirrel farts. And it cycles everything I have used so far. And it's a bit of a tack driver too, which was even more impressive.

There was little things here and there that people had problems with in various 1911-22s, so decided to branch out a bit, and ended up falling in love with the PPQ

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I ended up going with the PPQ 22(obviously not a 1911), and I LOVE IT. Shooting it suppressed is a dream, I've heard louder squirrel farts. And it cycles everything I have used so far. And it's a bit of a tack driver too, which was even more impressive.

There was little things here and there that people had problems with in various 1911-22s, so decided to branch out a bit, and ended up falling in love with the PPQ
    Congrats. Have had the Walther PPQ 22 (not the P22) on my list for a few years.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have seen a couple conversions mentioned. If one doesn't want to go the Marvel or Nelson route, the Kimber, Ciener, etc conversions do a decent job for action sports and general target work. I shot so many rounds through my first Ciener conversion the breech face wore away and caused malfunctions! I can't guess how many rounds I had through it. So I just bought another, fit it and went shooting.

The only caveat for them is a lighter mainspring may need to be used. I got the Ciener conversion years back and couldn't get mine to run reliably with CCI MiniMags or any other ammunition. I won't list what I did but I did determine the mainspring was too strong for reliable cycling on any frame I put the conversion on. I used an additional mainspring housing with that mainspring since swapping a whole housing assembly makes the conversion simpler. On some frames the rails may be tight so a dedicated lower for the conversion may be more feasible so centerfire fitting is not affected. And it is nice to just pick the gun up and go. I did a couple other things to get reliable cycling with some standard velocity ammo...not all, but some.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    My wife's first/second handgun before the O'Malley Law in 2013 was sold as a Sig. After waiting three months (if I remember correctly) for the dealer to release it, she found that it was Licensed by Sig, but not made by Sig. She could have had one made by the same company and imported with the ATI logo instead of the Sig logo for $75.00 less. While waiting for the dealer (in Middle River, I think) to release her ersatz Sig, she saw, bought and actually received her first handgun (a Taurus Tracker) from Christian Soldier. Based on the manufacture issue and the dealer (who also ripped her off for $20.00 for a barrel lock, that she didn't get) tainted that gun experience to the point that she's never fired it.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Here’s my GSG. Love it. Made in Germany with the Sig name and warranty. Sometimes have a problem firing anything but CCI MiniMags or anything less than high power rounds due to the full size/weight slide.

Attachments

• 0D8D0E81-5BBF-404D-9C0C-A12DB1F60E3C.jpg
      0D8D0E81-5BBF-404D-9C0C-A12DB1F60E3C.jpg
      119.1 KB · Views: 195
    • D363D5D2-F93A-4F55-B87B-5DEAECFDBF7E.jpg
      D363D5D2-F93A-4F55-B87B-5DEAECFDBF7E.jpg
      125.4 KB · Views: 192
    Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Colt Ace or conversion "kit" be done with it.
    If you were lucky to buy em way back, look
    and feel almost the same, shoots good to ;)
    the HS Victor and Trophy from way way back
    are nice and built well.

-Rock

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Here’s my GSG. Love it. Made in Germany with the Sig name and warranty. Sometimes have a problem firing anything but CCI MiniMags or anything less than high power rounds due to the full size/weight slide.

I have the same gun only with the GSG brand. It came with the best mags I've ever seen. The mags are built like tanks. Much thicker metal and a pleasure to load compared to other brands. The instructions that came with the gun say to use HV ammo.

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Those little letters next to the caliber that say "HV" means high velocity and its only designed to fire ammo that is at least 1200 FPS reliably. The GSG conversion kit I put in my Colt Competition .45 says the same thing so I have only used CCI MM and so far not a single malfunction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom