• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Within the next few days I'm planning on purchasing a CMMG Guard in .45 ACP. I think it's an interesting firearm and should be really fun to shoot.

It also seems like a natural fit for a suppressor...it almost seems mandatory.

I've never purchased a suppressor before, but from what I've read so far it requires a tax stamp and an additional fee ($200?). Any advice on this process would be really appreciated.

Finally, does anybody have any recommendations for a suppressor?

I did find a video of someone comparing two cans on this rifle. I don't have any experience with cans to compare the video with.

https://youtu.be/sL90ddUQ0-E

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Looks like an awesome little rifle would love to see it if you decide to get it. 45 is a great round to suppress. Buy the kit required to tune the bolt and I'm sure there's plenty of members here which will let you try their silencer on it. I've got an osprey 45k you're welcome to try.

So check out silencer shop, its probably the easiest way to currently buy a suppressor and they even take care of the finger printing at one of their kiosks which several IPs on this forum have.

For buying a suppressor whats your goal... how much versatility do you want? Some pistol cans can have rifle calibers shot through them however it's usually a trade off in size/weight. If you're planning on buying just one suppressor you want to make sure you get your tax stamps worth.

If you get it for a Christmas present bring it out to the Barnes Multipurpose range @ the AGC Saturday, December 30th, from 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Arlington Rifle and Pistol club will be hosting a steel plate shoot. PM me if you have any questions or details.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Gcs7th, thank you for the response!

Looks like an awesome little rifle would love to see it if you decide to get it.
    Absolutely! I've definitely decided **stuffs cash in envelope**.

Buy the kit required to tune the bolt
    Good call, I will do that.

So check out silencer shop, its probably the easiest way to currently buy a suppressor and they even take care of the finger printing at one of their kiosks which several IPs on this forum have.
    Is there an IP you recommend that's north of Baltimore. I live right on the MD/DE line.

For buying a suppressor whats your goal... how much versatility do you want? Some pistol cans can have rifle calibers shot through them however it's usually a trade off in size/weight. If you're planning on buying just one suppressor you want to make sure you get your tax stamps worth.

I hadn't thought about versatility... I read somewhere that most rifle cans aren't user-serviceable due to the higher pressure making them mostly "self-cleaning". I can't imagine .45 ACP provides the required pressures for that, but I don't really know.

I also don't really have much of a collection (yet), but my next planned purchase is an AR-10. It's my understanding that any can that would work for both would also be a bit of a compromise for both. Heavy for the .45 and not quite enough for the .308

If you get it for a Christmas present bring it out to the Barnes Multipurpose range @ the AGC Saturday, December 30th, from 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Arlington Rifle and Pistol club will be hosting a steel plate shoot. PM me if you have any questions or details.
    I appreciate the invite! I really hope I can get the rifle that quickly. I'm waiting on an IP to get back to me with availability/pricing.

I haven't even begun to start hemming and hawing over optics :D

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Only place I can think of, off the top of my head nearby would be cooter’s classic firearms. Martin has a Silencer Shop kiosk in store. All pricing transfer/shipping fee’s etc are all built into the pricing
    There are several good choices but the biggest struggle is deciding if you want a dedicated can or one that is more universal with other calibers at the cost being slightly louder. The general consensus is after you buy one they will multiply rapidly over time as shooting suppressed is much more enjoyable.
    The Gemtech GM-45 is a solid choice for a dedicated can, easy cleaning since it’s a monocore design, rather light too at 5-6oz and full auto rated all for $475
    https://www.silencershop.com/gemtech-gm-45.html

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I don't think there's any can that will do .308 and 45 acp but the Liberty Cosmic will do 223 and 7.62x39. You might also want to consider getting it as a pistol since you don't get much in terms of velocity with a 16" barrel and 45acp. Ballistics by the Inch states ~100fps increase from the 8" to 16". Not sure if one's been submitted for the handgun roster yet.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I am waiting on a SilencerCo Hybrid to clear NFA Prison. It works with .223/.308/.460 end caps and you can get direct thread mounts in multiple thread pitches or use the ASR QD mount. You can also get pistol pistons. It works on pistols from 9mm to .460 Rowland and rifles from .223 to .45-70

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't think there's any can that will do .308 and 45 acp but the Liberty Cosmic will do 223 and 7.62x39. You might also want to consider getting it as a pistol since you don't get much in terms of velocity with a 16" barrel and 45acp. Ballistics by the Inch states ~100fps increase from the 8" to 16". Not sure if one's been submitted for the handgun roster yet.
    Time to push up the nerd specs: Technically the Silencerco Hybrid 46 will do both .45acp and .308, as well as a mess of other cartidges. Unfortunately it is massively overbuilt for the OP's needs, and retails for $1000. So it's close to twice as expensive and twice as heavy as the OP really needs for the primary purpose stated. So if you want to hang a 20oz can off the front of your pistol caliber carbine that you can also use on like .338 Lapua Magnum and 45-70, thar she blows. Personally the liberty cosmic seems like an awesome first can (more awesome when it was on sale in the fall for about $525), but the OP should just get whatever he chooses bought quickly so the next 2-3 cans can go to NFA jail.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Time to push up the nerd specs: Technically the Silencerco Hybrid 46 will do both .45acp and .308, as well as a mess of other cartidges. Unfortunately it is massively overbuilt for the OP's needs, and retails for $1000. So it's close to twice as expensive and twice as heavy as the OP really needs for the primary purpose stated. So if you want to hang a 20oz can off the front of your pistol caliber carbine that you can also use on like .338 Lapua Magnum and 45-70, thar she blows. Personally the liberty cosmic seems like an awesome first can (more awesome when it was on sale in the fall for about $525), but the OP should just get whatever he chooses bought quickly so the next 2-3 cans can go to NFA jail.

I do like the Cosmic....great for what the OP suggests. My personal decision was to buy once and cry once. It will be good for anything I own once the barrel is threaded.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I do like the Cosmic....great for what the OP suggests. My personal decision was to buy once and cry once. It will be good for anything I own once the barrel is threaded.
    It looks like an amazing rifle can that you can also use on pistols. I will probably buy one eventually. I do have a 45-70 lever gun, after all, and you never know . . .

My "one can to do it all" purchase was a Griffin Optimus. Unfortunately I don't have it yet. And have since bought like 5 more. Including a Cosmic. Because reasons. Actually, Silencershop has a good sale on the Dead Air Wolverine right now, and my credit card seems to not be carrying a balance . . . And I see that adjustable gas blocks for AKs seem to be a thing . . .

At any rate I'm sure any of the cans being discussed will be better than what I had at work.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    It looks like an amazing rifle can that you can also use on pistols. I will probably buy one eventually. I do have a 45-70 lever gun, after all, and you never know . . .

My "one can to do it all" purchase was a Griffin Optimus. Unfortunately I don't have it yet. And have since bought like 5 more. Including a Cosmic. Because reasons. Actually, Silencershop has a good sale on the Dead Air Wolverine right now, and my credit card seems to not be carrying a balance . . . And I see that adjustable gas blocks for AKs seem to be a thing . . .

At any rate I'm sure any of the cans being discussed will be better than what I had at work.

The Optimus was my second choice but Capitol Armory had too good of a sale last year to pass up. They Hybrid and a non big name rimfire can package deal for just a hair under 700 bucks.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Thanks everyone for the feedback

Only place I can think of, off the top of my head nearby would be cooter’s classic firearms. Martin has a Silencer Shop kiosk in store. All pricing transfer/shipping fee’s etc are all built into the pricing[...]
    The Gemtech GM-45 is a solid choice for a dedicated can, easy cleaning since it’s a monocore design, rather light too at 5-6oz and full auto rated all for $475
    https://www.silencershop.com/gemtech-gm-45.html

I'll have to go visit cooter's, and I'll definitely take a look at the Gemtech

Time to push up the nerd specs: Technically the Silencerco Hybrid 46 will do both .45acp and .308,[...]So if you want to hang a 20oz can off the front of your pistol caliber carbine that you can also use on like .338 Lapua Magnum and 45-70, thar she blows. [...] the OP should just get whatever he chooses bought quickly so the next 2-3 cans can go to NFA jail.

The Hybrid 46 seem like it's worth thinking about. What is NFA jail?

Lots of other good cans to look at. What's a booster?

Edit: I found an answer to my booster question - https://blog.silencershop.com/mounting-pistolcaliber-suppressors/

Thanks!

Last edited:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I'm also in the market for a 45 caliber suppressor. I currently have an Optimus 9 and a checkmate QD. I quickly learned after getting the Optimus that the "one can to rule them all" comes at a very hefty price. Not only is the suppressor $1k, but I ended up spending another $500 to get various muzzle devices, thread adapters, etc.

I was eyeing the SilencerCo hybrid but as someone else mentioned, it's not exactly a can you want to shoot on a pistol. It's very large and heavy for that application. It's even more expensive than the Optimus to buy the different end caps, thread adapters, etc. After Griffin recently released the Optimus 22, I'm hopeful that they will release a Optimus 45. If they do, I will buy it because many of the adapters that I already have would work. As a current product, Griffin has the revolution 45 which is basically the same size as the Optimus 9 so it would be pleasant to shoot on a pistol and is rated for some rifle use (although limited). Again in the revolution 45 scenario, I can use a lot of the adapters that I already own.

Personally, I won't go with a monocore design again. The Optimus stacked baffles are far easier to clean than the checkmate monocore. If I shoot a lot of 22 through the Optimus, I just throw the baffles into the stainless pin rotary cleaner and they come out like new. I've ended up with the a dental pick, tiny wire brush and other tools to get the crevices of the monocore clean after a similar tumbling.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 and I love it. I believe it's the quietest 45 suppressor on the market and the tone is awesome. Definitely worth a look.

Silencer Shop carries them, so it makes the process painless.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Check out Duffy's Gun Room on Falls Road. They've been my go-to gun shop for the last ten years. I bought my AWC Raider in 5.56 (as well as many firearms) through them and they were great about walking me through the paperwork.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    What is NFA jail?

NFA jail is the time it takes from when you apply for your stamp for the suppressor to the time it is approved which right now can be as much as a year if you apply as a trust. If you apply as an individual, the wait seems to be less.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    [...]

Personally, I won't go with a monocore design again. The Optimus stacked baffles are far easier to clean than the checkmate monocore. If I shoot a lot of 22 through the Optimus, I just throw the baffles into the stainless pin rotary cleaner and they come out like new. I've ended up with the a dental pick, tiny wire brush and other tools to get the crevices of the monocore clean after a similar tumbling.

As I'm browsing silencershop.com, how can I tell if a suppressor is a monocore design?

Edit: I think I figured this out - Some of the photos/descriptions on Silencer Shop don't really give all the info. A quick visit to the manufacturer websites may be required.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    NFA jail is the time it takes from when you apply for your stamp for the suppressor to the time it is approved which right now can be as much as a year if you apply as a trust. If you apply as an individual, the wait seems to be less.

I had no idea it could be that long....

Just found the "wait time" page on SilencerShop. 225 days, Holy cr&p. Can you imagine if you had to wait 225 to pickup your new iPhone? By the time you put hands on it, the next gen would be out.

Last edited:

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

Just found the "wait time" page on SilencerShop. 225 days, Holy cr&p. Can you imagine if you had to wait 225 to pickup your new iPhone? By the time you put hands on it, the next gen would be out.

It's starting to come back down from when the new rules went into effect last year which caused a massive spike in applications just beforehand. Individual applications look like they are back down to around 4 months. Trust applications are at around 10 months but times look to be trending downward. There is a site called NFATracker.com that you can look to see where times are at for various NFA stamp types.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD

I filed as a trust and had my credit card charged April 27th and May 1st, 2017. Right now, the latest date the ATF is working on for Form 4 trusts is February 12th, 2017. I'm expecting to get the call to pick mine up in another couple months. I understand I can call the ATF and ask for an update, but I need a bunch of identifying info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom