• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    TSA definitely swabs a random sampling of people hands.

That's funny, I am in the ME and you would think being in the most unstable arena they would swab individuals, but I have yet to see it in the last 4 years.

But your CONUS and you've been swabbed, interesting...

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    BUT becareful with nitro fuel for RC cars, planes, helos ect, that WILL get you special attn. Friend got stopped, missed flight because he had spilled some on his shoes, TSA held him up at checkpoint, this was quite a while ago, not sure how it would be today.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    That's funny, I am in the ME and you would think being in the most unstable arena they would swab individuals, but I have yet to see it in the last 4 years.

But your CONUS and you've been swabbed, interesting...

They were swabbing every single person at BWI on monday

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    no problem traveling to Cali from MD a few moths back after shooting a bunch the day before. Luck of the draw too,

Good tip about nitro fuel for R/C models...i so that too....humm....

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Can't speak for TSA and there sensors but I have went out shooting on Saturday's and on Monday walking through the sensors at numerous Nuclear power plants in our area and never had a problem or concern. And there security is supposed to be pretty high up there.

GSR should be the least of your worries.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I never go through the scanners, always get a pat down. It pisses them off and pisses me off, so we both win. Plus I get a free massage.

Never been snagged by swabbing. Even after shooting the day before.

There are no sniffers. They are full body scanners that see if you are hiding anything under your clothing.

I try to avoid the scanner because almost every time they detect something in my left pocket which results in a pat down and they swab my hands for explosives.

If they see anything that they think is suspicious on your carry on bag, they will swab your bag and hands for explosives.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have done at least 25 round trips this year. Not once was I swabbed. Then again I am TSA precheck and also have Clear. But I don't recall seeing anyone swabbed in a while....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have gotten a hand swab even with Pre Check. They do it every so many people.

It takes 30 seconds or no, not a big deal.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It's so random. 50/50 chance my bag gets stopped because of the roll of paracord in the bottom. Cursory check and a swabbing and I'm on my way.

Last flight with my son he had 2 3oz cans of colored hair spray. They looked at them close, swabbed, and then we rolled...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I took bombs apart five days a week for three years and went through airport check points several times after leaving work and never set off anything. It always made me wonder what the machines were looking for.

Unless they swabbed you, they are metal detectors (the arch) or some form of body scanner. NOT a sniffer.

For explosive residue, they swab your hands or carry on, and then put it in a machine the checks for trace amounts of residue. Those machines are VERY sensitive.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It's so random. 50/50 chance my bag gets stopped because of the roll of paracord in the bottom. Cursory check and a swabbing and I'm on my way.

Last flight with my son he had 2 3oz cans of colored hair spray. They looked at them close, swabbed, and then we rolled...

swabbed my wifes boobie milk for the kid. That actually took an extra few mins but wasn't terribly invasive.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got swabbed at the Las Vegas airport when I didn't remove my handkerchief from my left back pocket. They couldn't see through it with the body scanner. Really?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I got swabbed at the Las Vegas airport when I didn't remove my handkerchief from my left back pocket. They couldn't see through it with the body scanner. Really?

It's not that they could see through it, the image showed a void inside of your clothing that had to be manually checked.

Voids are where people hide guns, and other contraband.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    You should be fine. Last year went from NYC to IRL. Had difficulty walking (needed hips) so I was pulled into a special line. Gal said she was going to swab my hands and shoes. I told her she may find GSR on the shoes as these were the ones I used every week. She thanked me for telling her. came back clean.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The nice thing about travelling with kids is you get to bypass the scanner and just go through the metal detector.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I had a bag swabbed in Houston, even with pre-check, because my stepdaughter decided to pack some sand from the beach in Galveston into one of those vacuum seal bags and the ops got curious on the bag x-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom