• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #5 and #6 aren't worth thing about, and I ignore. #7 don't imeadately take at face value, but if plausable , maybe look into.

But numbers 1-3 at least impliedly have authority, and have the potential to impact you.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Three cases I heard about, probably here:

1) Guy was driving home from On Target, stopped at grocery store. Thieves must have followed him, broke into car, stole his pistol. Cops didn't say a word about improper transport or stop, although this sort of theft could be perfect justification for "no stops rules" in other states. No such rule in Maryland! Lesson: always check your rear view driving home from any range or gun shop.

2) Office worker type took his pistol to work so he could go to Continental at lunch. After lunchtime at the range, returns to work. Leaves office late afternoon, car is broken into, pistol stolen. Cops say nothing about any violation of alleged mythical "no stop rule." Watch your 6:00 when you leave the range!

3) Guy lives way the hell up in Northern Harford County, plans to go shooting at Delta, Pa., has range gear loaded, ready to go. Gets an emergency call to pick somebody up in Baltimore, so heads for the Big Bad City. Somewhere in the City, he is pulled over (Driving While White?), vehicle is searched (did he consent?), and he is arrested for illegal transport. All charges are later dropped and his guns are returned, when it is decided he was not violating "to the range" transport laws, although he had deviated 30 miles the opposite direction from the range.

So technically,nobody violated the law, but they did bring mountains of grief on themselves.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    which has been pointed out ad nauseum here and in other threads.

Not illegal but doesn't prevent LE from hassling you.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

1) Guy was driving home from On Target, stopped at grocery store. Thieves must have followed him, broke into car, stole his pistol. Cops didn't say a word about improper transport or stop, although this sort of theft could be perfect justification for "no stops rules" in other states. No such rule in Maryland! Lesson: always check your rear view driving home from any range or gun shop.

2) Office worker type took his pistol to work so he could go to Continental at lunch. After lunchtime at the range, returns to work. Leaves office late afternoon, car is broken into, pistol stolen. Cops say nothing about any violation of alleged mythical "no stop rule." Watch your 6:00 when you leave the range!

3) Guy lives way the hell up in Northern Harford County, plans to go shooting at Delta, Pa., has range gear loaded, ready to go. Gets an emergency call to pick somebody up in Baltimore, so heads for the Big Bad City. Somewhere in the City, he is pulled over (Driving While White?), vehicle is searched (did he consent?), and he is arrested for illegal transport. All charges are later dropped and his guns are returned, when it is decided he was not violating "to the range" transport laws, although he had deviated 30 miles the opposite direction from the range.

So technically,nobody violated the law, but they did bring mountains of grief on themselves.

Interesting - thanks for the info.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This debate comes up again and again.

Here are some good points from last year's version of this same damn thread:

... a member here had his firearm confiscated by a Mo Co officer who noticed his range badge during a traffic stop.

Just pointing out you shouldn't say it can't happen.

Clearly it can.

IIRC He was not charged, because he had not violated any law. But had to go through the hassle of getting the firearm back. Simply because he had his range badge around his neck. I believe it happened in Germantown.

I was simply pointing out that you cannot predict with any certainty the idiocy of people in MD.

PF Flyer

Quote:
    Long story short, several weeks ago I was involved in a minor fender bender on my way back home from the range. A police officer who happened to be passing by stopped, I had forgotten to remove my range badge before getting behind the wheel of my truck -- DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!! -- the officer asked the inevitable questions, which I answered honestly, she was relentless in pushing for consent for a search, I finally caved and consented, and she confiscated my handguns because she wrongly thought that she saw a violation of the transport laws. The prosecutors subsequently agreed that I hadn't violated the transport laws, but the MCPD still has my firearms.

not a gas stop but a fender bender. just pointing out the behavior of some LE folks in MD. I'm not saying don't stop just saying just having a range badge got this guy in trouble.

It can happen

Notice there was never a suggestion that the first two guys had broken any law, whether by stopping at the store or by going back to the office from the range.

In the third example, it was positively determined that he was transporting legally, though he drove 30 miles in the opposite direction from the range.

No, I can't link to my sources. This is the Internet: I don' need no steenking sources.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As has been pointed out ad nauseum, there is no legal definition of "bona fide collector" in the statute, therefore thinking having a DC letter makes you bona fide in the eyes of the statute is an assumption I’m not willing to make until a court decides it is

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom