NRA American Rifleman ballistics article inaccuracies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I have a question that I figure this sub forum is best suited for.
    Yesterday as I was looking through the September 2012 issue of AR I found an article (p50) about "handgun stopping power" where the ballistics and penetration of various rounds was listed. My eye caught the results for the single 10mm load tested. A doubletap 135grain Nosler JHP with 1588fps MV at 10feet which resulted in only 6.5 inches of penetration in the gel block. Conversely the same round 135gr Nosler JHP out of a .40S&W traveling at 1315fps gets 11" of penetration. WTF? In fact the 10mm was the worst performer of all calibers tested except for 45ACP glaser safety slugs.
    Is the light bullet from the 10mm disintegrating on impact or something?
    The .357mag with a 125gr JHP at 1516fps got 14" penetration.

Am I missing something?

So I continue reading through the magazine in confusion and disgust and get to the article about the Ruger LCR-22 and SR-22 (p70). In the test data for these handguns the ballistics for the LCR with a 1.8" barrel were faster than the SR with a 3.5" barrel. Is the slide movement sucking up that much energy and resulting in slower bullet velocities despite the longer barrel? This might be true, but they also report that a Federal Gold Metal 40gr solid traveling at 931fps from the LCR has less energy (77ft-lbs) than the same round traveling at 910fps from the SR (79ft-lbs). The 910fps should yield 74ft-lbs.

Again am I missing something here?

I suspect it is simply sloppy QC on the part of the writers/editors.
    The stuff about the 10mm has me concerned as that is the only caliber handgun I currently own.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm looking at the table now. Seems like a typo. I think it should read 16.5", at a minimum. On DoubleTap's website, the same round is rated for 1600fps with 767ft-lbs out of a Glock 20. Massive stopping power.

I'm not a fan of how the article's data is presented. Look at the 22LR data at the beginning of the table. Seems reasonable for self-defense to the ignorant, but it's not representative of the real world. Now flip to page 73 and look at the energy for 22LR out of the SR-22 (51ft-lbs, 63ft-lbs). Not exactly man stoppers.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Read the article again this morning. The more I study it, the more I dislike it. Too nerdy and theoretical. The last paragraph on page 54 that ends on page 106 gets my brain going in circles. Way too much importance is given to penetration distance in naked ballistics gel. Good modern SD rounds are designed to perform optimally through two or more layers of clothing into flesh and bone and deliver massive wounds. In testing that better simulates the real world, the rounds dismissed at the bottom of page 54 (HP rounds with excellent expansion) might perform very well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can be reasonably sure that the raw data ( vel , penetration & expansion in 10% Gelatin) is as reported.

As to the relavence of the interpetation , or if there are other factors also of signifigent importance are different question.

The closer that you compare apples to apples , the more useful the raw data.

As to the .22s , keep in mind that revolvers and semis have different protocols for measuring bbl length. If you add the cylnder length to the Rev's "bbl length" , they are a lot closer.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    For the 10 mm I believe that it us getting less penetration than the .40.

If you push a jhp too fast, beyond their design thresholds, they expand violently and do not penetrate well.

It is very common that the same jhp at a lower velocity will penetrate more because the jhp doesn't expand and acts like a fmj.

As for the .22 velocities, it is quite possible the author wrote a 4 in his notes and transposed it as a 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom