• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So how fast is your bow? What is the real world speed of your arrows VS the IBO? I was curious about this and set up my chronometer to find out :shocked:

Well I knew it would not be IBO speed, but damn!
    So my bow (PSE bow madness) was advertised with a ~320 FPS IBO speed. I know that means 70# weight, 30" draw, 350grain arrow and a stripped down bow. My setup is 60# weight, 30" draw and I am using 400 grain arrows+tip, have a d loop and a peep on the string.
    I am measuring 275.1 FPS as a ten shot average speed. I had the chrony about 3 feet downrange when collecting the data. What else could be sucking up speed? I read on the internet, so it must be true, that the whisker biscuit can rob 7 - 10 FPS.

Any thoughts? other than PSE sucks :lol2:

I am quite happy with the bow, so it is not a big deal but I was expecting to be a bit closer to 300 FPS real world speed.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    My Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus is rated around 318 (ATA), shooting weight of my arrow is 373 gr. I'm shooting around 285 fps.

I have never gotten advertised IBO out of bow. My new arrows are coming in around 425 gr., so it will slow some.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    IIRC, advertised IBO is measured using a set arrow weight of 350gr at 70pd draw weight and a 30" draw length. I've also heard that they do not use fletching on the arrows. Your chrono'ed velocity is obviously going to vary. I have a Mathews Z7 and I think I chrono'ed at something like 260fps at 60pd and a 27" draw. The first deer I shot with it was a perfect double lunger and he ran 15yds. The speed is nice because you are going to shoot flatter, but you are shooting plenty fast. Just practice and take good, ethical shots.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Sorry, didn't read your OP thoroughly and see you had IBO specs listed.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    My 70 lb Martin Longbow clocks around 180fps-cedar arrow with feathers-no idea of weight but its heavy-never had it bounce off a deer- generally buries itself in ground after passthru. Speed is over rated.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I didn't mean to come off as obsessive about speed, I was just astounded by the huge difference between the advertised IBO (unattainable for any useful situation) and the speed you get from their RTS package. Just wondering if that is the same across the board with most bows.

In reading from various sources I understand that 275 fps is more than plenty to take deer if I do my part and make a good shot. In that effort I have been practicing every day since I got the bow. I am really enjoying it.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    The only bow I had come close to meeting it's IBO specs was a Hoyt Alphaburner, and that was after a lot of fine tuning with cam timing. It still came up short.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Too much emphasis put on speed these days.

this :thumbsup:

I shoot an elite gt-500 72lbs 30 inch with a 420 grain arrow it shoots 309 fps, fully set-up how i use it to hunt. when it came into the shop stripped with a 350 grain arrow it shot 338 fps. I shoot the bow very well and that's what matters to me most. my old Bow I would guess was a good bit less then 250 fps and killed deer just fine. I would pick a bow that shoots well and was quiet any day over a speed bow.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    This was the chrono from my Darton Pro-3500 when it came in. This was 29" with 5 grains per pound (60lbs, 300 grain). I put the 27 inch mods on, peep and loop and now it shoots 318fps. Great bow, quiet and holds well.

Pro3500chrono.jpg

Here is the kids Heartbreaker. 40lbs, 22.5" draw and 240gr arrow.

chrono3.jpg

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    This was the chrono from my Darton Pro-3500 when it came in. This was 29" with 5 grains per pound (60lbs, 300 grain). I put the 27 inch mods on, peep and loop and now it shoots 318fps. Great bow, quiet and holds well.

Pro3500chrono.jpg

Here is the kids Heartbreaker. 40lbs, 22.5" draw and 240gr arrow.

chrono3.jpg

So at 10 lbs. less draw weight and shorter draw length you are shooting faster then rated IBO ????

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    If you go by the 343 IBO you would be correct. The DS3800 which is the exact same except for the split limbs and a model year newer is rated at 350 fps. If you search on archerytalk there are a lot of people who experienced the same speeds. After seeing mine a co-worker at my previous employer also bought the same bow was within 3fps of mine. Remember on the 10 pounds less, It was still shooting a 5gr/pound arrow (300gr/60lbs). If it was a 350gr arrow as per IBO spec (350gr/70lbs @ 30") it would have been about 17fps slower.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I thought about a 3800 , but we don't have any Darton dealers around here.
    I have shot Hoyt bows for a long time and was looking for a change. I bought another Hoyt. So not much change. :)

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    All I have to say about speed at this point is if you got it, buy a bag target and use field points for practice. Broadhead targets and my experience thus far with archery club targets has been less than pleasant when extracting bolts buried to the fletchings. I had to use a threaded insert and locking pliers with two men pulling on the dang things and it surely took the wind out of my sails. I get triple the practice with bag targets over the same amount of time.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I learned the hard way that speed and how much of a bad ass I may be because I can pull 70lbs don't mean shit. One cold hunt I drew back on a deer and as I was getting ready to shoot he turned and I had to wait. Due to sitting so long, being cold, and pulling almost 70lbs I collapsed. Then I had one hell of a time getting the bow pulled again. Out back practicing, comfortable, stretched, and relaxed I can pull and shoot 70lbs all day long, but it's a different story at least for me in the stand. I since dialed back to about 57 or so pounds and can still shoot the same exact problems without ever having to worry about collapsing in the stand again.

So to me speed if overrated because it usually means you have to draw more weight which is unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom