• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Groundhogs borrow is actually a very complex setup- its not just a hole in the ground. They make different "chambers" underground - including what some would consider a bathroom - defecation chamber.

This time of year groundhogs are not active (hibernating)-depending on where you live. Occasionally if there is a warm spell, groundhogs will come out of there burrow. Here in Garrett Co, we wont see them until Spring.

A trick Ive used -when you hunt them is to use a high pitch whistle. The one I use looks like a dog whistle -but is not silent (or high pitched outside of the human hearing threshold). If you spot them in the field, and they duck into there hole, I usally set up my bipod on my rifle from afar (few hundred yards). When you toot on the whistle -they stand up out of curiosity - and you sock em in the head with a bullet.

Good advice. I've also found that groundhogs who live in fields a fair distance from any water source get their water from licking dew off of grass, so a good time to catch them out is in the early AM in the late spring/early summer months. I'm not sure, but I think they typically breed around late February, and have a 6 to 8 week gestation (with as many babies), so early spring might be a good time to pop 'em for population control purposes.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    April in my neck of the woods, is when the groundhogs emerge from there holes, with there young. I know some people might not think its right - but when farmers want groundhogs gone due to the damage they cause, you can have a field day on the groundhogs. The pups explode like prairie dogs with a V-max bullet.

And Screwtop your right about the dew on the grass. Also after a heavy rain, they clean out there burrows, and are active around the opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom