• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Last Friday a large fox took two of my hens and was stalking the rest of the flock when I ran it off. This is while they were free ranging in my yard at 2 in the afternoon. There are 10+ acres of woods behind my house and the fox must have been lurking in the tree line.
    I now want to eliminate this fox its friends and family.
    I plan on using a box/cage trap because there are critters I don't want to accidentally kill. Is there a preferred bait for fox? I suppose chicken should work since that is what it chose to kill.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I like to wear skin-tight cutoff shorts, a sleeveless shirt(bonus points if you've also cut it up to show off the abbs), knee-high tube-socks, and a man-symbol necklace. Drink some johnny walker black, while peforming some kettle-bell exercises.... so she knows you're classy, but slightly savage. I've had lots of foxes come running with these simple tricks.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I like to wear skin-tight cutoff shorts, a sleeveless shirt(bonus points if you've also cut it up to show off the abbs), knee-high tube-socks, and a man-symbol necklace. Drink some johnny walker black, while peforming some kettle-bell exercises.... so she knows you're classy, but slightly savage. I've had lots of foxes come running with these simple tricks.

I actually tried that yesterday since it was warm outside. The hens were amused but the fox did not show up.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I actually tried that yesterday since it was warm outside. The hens were amused but the fox did not show up.

yes, you run the risk of attracting cougars instead of foxes too. Which isn't all that bad. Spend the night with a cougar and you may be sent home the next morning with a juice box and bagged lunch just out of habit.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

:lol:

Hopefully, foxtrapper will show up and provide some guidance.

I have failed on many attempts to rid the various menaces to our flock and have resigned myself to accepting to losing a few hens each year to predators. Despite the sound of futility, I still enter into battle with the varmints undaunted :D

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    :lol:

Hopefully, foxtrapper will show up and provide some guidance.

I have failed on many attempts to rid the various menaces to our flock and have resigned myself to accepting to losing a few hens each year to predators. Despite the sound of futility, I still enter into battle with the varmints undaunted :D

Yes, hopefully she can provide guidance.
    I have had my small flock for almost two years and let them free range while I am home. This is the first loss to varmints.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Yes, hopefully she can provide guidance.
    I have had my small flock for almost two years and let them free range while I am home. This is the first loss to varmints.

Good luck - I'll be watching the thread for some pointers. If you have raccoon problems, let me know. I was successful at "displacing" those rascals.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Beat me to the snarky answer...+100 internets for you:D

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have heard table scraps work very well.
    E.g.: buy a chicken or turkey roaster and leave the leftover bones, neck etc... for the fox.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've had success with chicken and rib bones from the Amish market in the Harbor Center. Picky eaters? At least they have good taste. :lol2:

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    You have a better chance of asking the fox to move than you do getting one in a box trap. It's a leg trap or find a way to shoot it.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    If you can shoot in an area that you can light up, like outdoor flood lights, just put out scraps. Hot dogs work real well. Cut them up real small so he is in the light longer. If it is big pieces, he will grab it and go eat in the dark. Keep putting it out every night. Eventually he won't be afraid of the light. Then its payback time. Good luck.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    You have a better chance of asking the fox to move than you do getting one in a box trap. It's a leg trap or find a way to shoot it.

This.
    I've lost so many birds over the yrs I've come to believe that free ranging is another way of saying 'feed the wildlife' I'm always starting new replacements, sometimes I get lucky n have a broody hen or two that'll raise a new batch for me before they get eaten. Living on a small family farm it's hard not to turn the birds loose to eat bugs n kick through horse apples looking for undigested grain.
    I've tried using a 'havahart trap , even staking it down but the damn things always get out. The only way I've found to get them is a leg hold trap or shoot them from a tree stand or the barn window. I've used sardines as bait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom