BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Natural habitat.
    16a388d9ce9afcdecda8cbb7d147edb7.jpg

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    So here's a question for all of you watch guys out there - how do you decide which watch you are going to wear on a given day? Since I got the Tissot Luxury, I have a hard time rotating anything else in, although I suspect that part of that is due to the newness factor of the Tissot.

Today I made a point to wear something different and I'm wearing one of my two Citizen chronographs, but I was tempted to put the Tissot back on.

Activity and whichever catches my eye.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I rotate through all of these.

Top row left to right: Steinhart ocean 500, NTH Devilray, Redux Courg Type-B, Tissot T-touch expert, Invicta Pro-Diver on Leatherman tread (crappy watch but it runs like a top and keeps perfect time)

Bottom row left to right: GPW Einsatzuhr, Tag Heuer Aquagraph 500, GPW Offizier, Steinhart Ocean Black, Steinhart Triton 100ATM, Oakley Holeshot Standard Issue on Leatherman tread

All are mechanical automatic except the Oakley and the Tissot

Attachments

• KIMG1612.jpg
      KIMG1612.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 408

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I rotate through all of these.

Top row left to right: Steinhart ocean 500, NTH Devilray, Redux Courg Type-B, Tissot T-touch expert, Invicta Pro-Diver on Leatherman tread (crappy watch but it runs like a top and keeps perfect time)

Bottom row left to right: GPW Einsatzuhr, Tag Heuer Aquagraph 500, GPW Offizier, Steinhart Ocean Black, Steinhart Triton 100ATM, Oakley Holeshot Standard Issue on Leatherman tread

All are mechanical automatic except the Oakley and the Tissot

How do you like the GPW? I’ve been considering one lately

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So here's a question for all of you watch guys out there - how do you decide which watch you are going to wear on a given day? Since I got the Tissot Luxury, I have a hard time rotating anything else in, although I suspect that part of that is due to the newness factor of the Tissot.

Today I made a point to wear something different and I'm wearing one of my two Citizen chronographs, but I was tempted to put the Tissot back on.

Sometimes I'll pick one based on a specific task or event for the day, other times I'll open my watch drawer and pick the one that "speaks to me" at that time. (I know it sounds a little crazy, lol)
    I usually only wear the same watch during the week, a Hager Commando, because i beat the crap out of it with my job.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Very eye catching. Love the color scheme.

Badass....

I'm usually not a fan multiple sub dials, that watch is slick.

Thank you gentlemen. It is getting the most wrist time on the weekends lately.
    Hamilton is coming out with the same watch with a blue dial. Just shoot me.

Attachments

• Hamilton-Intra-Matic-Auto-Chrono-blue-1.jpg
      Hamilton-Intra-Matic-Auto-Chrono-blue-1.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 401

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    How do you like the GPW? I’ve been considering one lately

Great bang for the buck. Titanium case, sapphire crystal, auto movt.

The original einzatheur wears large on the wrist and the one I have is an early model that runs a little slow. The feldhur (had one but gave it to my brother) wears well but the crown is machined quite sharp and can dig into the wrist. I would recommend the Offizier. The carbon face looks great, the crown is smoother and the one I have runs well. GPW has a distribution and service center in the US (in Texas) and their customer service is excellent.

I believe they just released a new Chrono model which I will probably be getting at some point.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not sure how I missed it in this thread (there are multiple references) but I've recently discovered Orient watches. I'm going to have to get a couple to try - at their price point, they are quite affordable, and having several will be easy enough to do - I can get 2-3 for what it would cost to get into a Hamilton or the like. Right now, these are three that I'm looking at:

Orient Bambino V2, cream dial, blue hands - this would be a great addition to the collection. It's completely unlike any of my dressier watches - I typically go for a dark/black face with light hands. Currently $125 on Amazon

91G%2BgOqQVvL._UY445_.jpg

Orient Mako USA II - I'll continue to wear my Swiss movement Invicta Pro Diver, but this watch looks great. It definitely takes cues from the Submariner and Tag Aquaracer, but it's different enough to stand on its own. Right now this one seems to be hard to find from anywhere other than Orient USA, and it's running around $300.

orient-mako-II-ledge.jpg

Then there's this one that I'm particularly intrigued by as an EDC Watch - their take on the traditional pilot watch - similar in look to a Hamilton Khaki, but at considerably less cost - not shabby for a sub $100 automatic.

Flight-Above.jpg

I know they aren't Swiss timepieces, but everything I've read about Orient watches seems to point to them being a great value for the dollar where mechanical watches are concerned with movements that rival their Swiss counterparts in terms of accuracy and reliability. Also, given that they aren't terribly expensive, as one poster on another forum put it, "don't bother having it serviced - wear it until it stops working, throw it away, and buy a new one."

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Fair enough, but my Tissot goes with just about anything - it's meant to be a dress watch, bit it's sporty enough that it also goes well with jeans and a t-shirt.

A nice watch can be worn with anything IMHO . You know the weird thing i had a couple women on another gun forum say they are turned on by a mans wrist .

I have never heard of such a thing until then , and maybe they see a nice watch and may give the impression a guy has it together .

It would be interesting to hear other women speak about a mans wrist .;)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A nice watch can be worn with anything IMHO . You know the weird thing i had a couple women on another gun forum say they are turned on by a mans wrist .

I have never heard of such a thing until then , and maybe they see a nice watch and may give the impression a guy has it together .

It would be interesting to hear other women speak about a mans wrist .;)
    A nice sport watch - particularly along the lines of a Rolex Sub, Tag Aquaracer or Omega Seamaster - really can be worn with just about anything. They have bold, clear lines and a classic look. It's maybe not ideal with a tuxedo (tell that to James Bond!) but otherwise they work well with just about any attire.

I've never heard about women liking a man's wrist before, or that a watch would have anything to do with it. For me, it's about the only thing I really think about in terms of accessorizing my wardrobe other than shoes, and even with shoes, I don't have a ton of choices - just the basics. Watches for me are about matching both attire and the mood I'm in.

Currently I've mostly been wearing my Tissot that I got for Christmas, but that's mostly because it still has that "new" factor going on. For a while it was my every-day watch, but recently I've started rotating in some of my others.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    I'm not sure how I missed it in this thread (there are multiple references) but I've recently discovered Orient watches. I'm going to have to get a couple to try - at their price point, they are quite affordable, and having several will be easy enough to do - I can get 2-3 for what it would cost to get into a Hamilton or the like. Right now, these are three that I'm looking at:

Orient Bambino V2, cream dial, blue hands - this would be a great addition to the collection. It's completely unlike any of my dressier watches - I typically go for a dark/black face with light hands. Currently $125 on Amazon

91G%2BgOqQVvL._UY445_.jpg

Orient Mako USA II - I'll continue to wear my Swiss movement Invicta Pro Diver, but this watch looks great. It definitely takes cues from the Submariner and Tag Aquaracer, but it's different enough to stand on its own. Right now this one seems to be hard to find from anywhere other than Orient USA, and it's running around $300.

orient-mako-II-ledge.jpg

Then there's this one that I'm particularly intrigued by as an EDC Watch - their take on the traditional pilot watch - similar in look to a Hamilton Khaki, but at considerably less cost - not shabby for a sub $100 automatic.

Flight-Above.jpg

I know they aren't Swiss timepieces, but everything I've read about Orient watches seems to point to them being a great value for the dollar where mechanical watches are concerned with movements that rival their Swiss counterparts in terms of accuracy and reliability. Also, given that they aren't terribly expensive, as one poster on another forum put it, "don't bother having it serviced - wear it until it stops working, throw it away, and buy a new one."

I do not own any, but have also read plenty of positive reviews. I personally have several Seiko's (SKX007K, SKX0011J) and a Presage "Cocktail time".

Not Swiss movement, but very affordable and great looks. The SKX007K is within ~5 seconds/day.
    You can find Seikos on sale during Macy's sales pretty frequently.
    Or, subscribe to Gear Patrol newsletter, they let you know about sales on watches (INCLUDING ORIENT) all the time. Along with other cool stuff.
    Also, check out watchuseek.com - forum where people sell and trade watches all the time. I got my SKX0011J used with a strap for ~ $160.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have an Orient Mako, I haven't been wearing watches for a couple years but i like it. I put a nato strap on it because I don't like the bracelet type straps. $300 dollars seems high though. I paid about 135 for mine a couple years ago. Unfortunately I dropped it face down on tile once and chipped the edge of the crystal.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    I have long been wearing Bulova, especially their Accutron line, for daily/business wear. They are very well built, fit the slick business look, are relatively affordable and most are of heirloom quality.

There has been a surge of attractive watches from new companies selling under the $500 mark that cannot hold a candle to Bulova or several other established brands in my personal opinion. A lot of them are cheap movements, poor quality materials and cannot and will not last. They are basically a cash grab riding this wave of the new watch market. So be wary of the ones that look too nice for the price, they usually are. Bulova watches typically are worth every penny for me, and they have a lot of styles and movements. To make great quality at an affordable price you have to have established machining and infrastructure in place that a lot of the newer companies do not or cannot sustain. I know because I have bought a lot of shiny crapola.

All of that, I'm sure, has been said before.

My other semi-EDC is an Omega Seamaster James Bond 50th Anniversary. I am not wearing it this second but can follow up with a photo. I had coveted it since it was released in 2012 and finally made it happen at a steal year and it has surpassed my expectations.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have an Orient Mako, I haven't been wearing watches for a couple years but i like it. I put a nato strap on it because I don't like the bracelet type straps. $300 dollars seems high though. I paid about 135 for mine a couple years ago. Unfortunately I dropped it face down on tile once and chipped the edge of the crystal.
    There are Mako models available for less than $150 - the Mako II and Mako XL are both available on Amazon for around $135, but the latest iteration, the Mako USA II, isn't yet available from secondary sellers like Amazon or Jomashop, unless I'm mistaken - and it has the feature set and looks that I like the best.

I'm good for now though - I have several work/casual watches that fit the bill with one diver and two chronographs - so I can pick up the Bambino and Flight, and bide my time until the Mako USA II becomes a bit more affordable.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    So here's a question, and the reason I ask it is because I didn't really know or understand the purpose until recently when I looked it up.

Many watches - the Omega Speedmaster and Tag Heuer Carrera being two famous examples, (and my two most recent Citizen watches as well) have a tachymeter bezel. I like it because it looks cool, and I know that it's a thing on many chronograph wristwatches.

Who here actually knows how to read one and how/why it's used?

Apparently those watches were designed with the racecar driver in mind, and it allows for the calculation of average speed over a fixed distance. Using the mile as a distance, it's simple - if it takes 40 seconds to traverse the distance, then the driver is traveling at approximately 90 mph.

I typically like to consider myself a form-follows-function kind of guy, but I really dig the look of watches with the black tachymeter bezel, and I'm slightly embarrassed that I bought two watches that had them before I actually learned that.

I had the same question...

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The Rolex has been put in the safe. Picked these up in the last couple of months and replaced the black straps with straps from Uncle Seiko. If you have a Seiko dive watch, Uncle Seiko straps can't be beat.

53567267_10161421555300585_704693134138802176_n.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I need something on a strap like that. I don't wear my watch very often because I'm trying to avoid desk rash and bracelet stretch.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here's a question I'm not sure has been asked yet. (The other thread might also be a better place to ask it - this is the daily wear thread after all)

Is there such a thing as having too many watches? How many watches do we all have, and is it kind of like guns where some people have a lot, and others only have one or two?

I've currently got 5 analog watches and 2 digital watches that I rotate through depending on what I'm wearing and whatever mood I'm in, and I have a list of a few more I'd like to acquire. I only wear the digital watches (both G shocks) for a few things - mostly when I'm doing yard work, car work, or that kind of thing, so everything else and the ones on my wish list are all analog, and everything on the current wish list is also mechanical instead of battery/quartz.

Regarding the mechanical vs quartz thing, I'm always on the fence. On one hand I've got my Citizen Eco drive atomic chronometer that is always right on the money, and I appreciate that level of precision. I've also got another Citizen Eco drive and a Seiko quartz that are both within 1-2 seconds/month accurate.

On the other hand, even though I know that I can't keep perfect time with the mechanical watches, there's something appealing to me knowing that there's a precision little spring drive machine inside, with an almost smooth sweep of the second hand running at 6-8 micro ticks per second. My Tissot (ETA 2824) runs at 21,600 micro ticks/hr, and the Swiss Invicta (Sellita SW200 movement - clone of the ETA 2824) runs at 28,800.

Even though my automatic mechanical watches run +/- 5-10 seconds/day, that's pretty impressive to think about when you consider that at 518,00 and 691,000 micro ticks per 24 hour day, respectively, it's only off by 30-60 micro ticks. My Tissot, when it was brand new, was staying consistently within +/- 1-2 seconds per day but it has relaxed a bit and isn't quite that tight now.

So what say you? How many watches do you have, and how many is too many? (If there is such a thing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom