• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I bought a good bit of stuff at the Hendershot's store. The last trip in the Handcock store, the older gentleman was showing me some firearms, and acted like it was a big deal to help me. Just prior to that, maybe a month prior, I had spent about $2500. Left a sour taste in my mouth. They had a good selection and varying price ranges. I then went to the Hagerstown store and it was very different. Small, pricey, and didn't have what wanted anymore. No more were the deals of used guns. Never been back, don't care if I ever do. In the new store, I felt like I was a sponsor of their international hunting trips.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In the new store, I felt like I was a sponsor of their international hunting trips.

Yeah, that's a vibe they could do something to alter a bit, for sure. I've always had very pleasant interactions with them - classes, perhaps $4k worth of shotgun purchases - but I'm definitely not the customer they're really after in the fancy-pants-safari-rifle department.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yeah. It's not even a little questionable about whether or not your ears should be on ANY time you're past the airlock at that (or pretty much any) range. The only exception would be when the range has been taken over for something like an ASI event, and the people running it are in control of ears on/off. Otherwise, if you're there using the range as a walk-up customer/member, it's ears on inside the range. Period. Just like the sign adamantly states, and the paperwork you sign says you acknowledge and agree to.

There is no airlock and we weren't at their range. Reading is fundamental.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    There is no airlock and we weren't at their range. Reading is fundamental.

Sorry, I thought the complaints were about Hendershots, which of course made me assume the reference was to their range. I'll be more careful, but also stick to my story - haven't ever experienced anything but affable, professional folks there (including Lance). Probably somebody, somewhere, thinks I'm a dick, too, so I know it happens despite best intentions.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I stop in once in a while for a laugh. Unfortunately, I also run into Lance at the range sometimes where he rarely even acknowledges your presence.....

I normally won't interject into people being snarky to each other. However, I really hate the way people treat each other when you get to hide in anonymity. That seems to be what Twitter is for.

Hendershots has a range. You said, "at the range." The thread is about Hendershots.

Writing is fundamental too.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Hendershots... some of the most beautiful rifles and shotguns I've ever seen. I love going in there just to look at some of the finely crafted firearms. I've had more than a couple very congenial conversations with Lance--and he inspired my wife to take up handgun shooting. Never tried to sell us anything and didn't seem to care why were were there except to enjoy discussing firearms and hunting.

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    I can’t really afford most of what they have now, they have some high end stuff, but I do remember they were one of the few dealers in Western MD that were doing the 8 day release back in the summer of ‘13 while most other shops were holding purchases for months. Seems most of the guys that worked there then are gone now.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I've had good experiences at the hagerstown shop not so much at the Hancock store. The thing about Hancock was there usually wasn't any free parking and the local leo was hot to write parking tickets in the metered lot.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I never had a bad experience at either location. I've become friendly with Vance- he always has a smile and a friendly greeting whenever I see him. I have bought a few guns there, certainly no high end stuff though. That will change as I'm planning a once-in-a-lifetime $5000+ rifle and figure to give my business to Hendershot's. The on-site gunsmith sorted out my first (and only) AR build without making me feel stupid.

My only complaint is the relatively high prices they charge, but if you're patient you'll find bargains mixed in too. I like the spaciousness of the store, and not being squeezed like a sardine like I do in Hafer's cramped store. Overall they're a class act.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I never had a bad experience at either location. I've become friendly with Vance- he always has a smile and a friendly greeting whenever I see him. I have bought a few guns there, certainly no high end stuff though. That will change as I'm planning a once-in-a-lifetime $5000+ rifle and figure to give my business to Hendershot's. The on-site gunsmith sorted out my first (and only) AR build without making me feel stupid.

My only complaint is the relatively high prices they charge, but if you're patient you'll find bargains mixed in too. I like the spaciousness of the store, and not being squeezed like a sardine like I do in Hafer's cramped store. Overall they're a class act.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I didn't know that Lance's father had passed , I had made trips to Western Maryland when I was in college and I would stop in the old store on my way , Jerry was always friendly to me I don't remember Lance being involved in the store then , My visits to the new store I always felt they were all a bit cold . The old store had way more character .

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I've bought several rifles from Lance. He's always been more than fair to me and a pleasant guy to converse with. He's helped me out with consignment sales and transfers too. No complaints here.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Hendershots posted yesterday that they are moving back to Hancock, will not be in the old shop. Really sorry to see them move, have bought and traded several firearms with Lance and was always treated well. Hancock is a little too far for me.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Hendershots posted yesterday that they are moving back to Hancock, will not be in the old shop. Really sorry to see them move, have bought and traded several firearms with Lance and was always treated well. Hancock is a little too far for me.

I wonder if they're bankrupting this location and starting over? Seems very abrupt. I might stop by on Friday to see if there is anything I can't live without.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It seemed abrupt to me also, every time I stopped in they seemed to be doing a good business, here is the message they posted on Facebook,

After much thought and consideration, we have made the difficult decision to move the business back to Hancock, MD.
    We've had a great run here in Hagerstown but feel like the time is right to move back to where it all started.
    We will be having a big sale this Friday and Saturday (February 22-23) and will be offering special discounts on firearms as well as 25% off all ammunition and 50% off all shooting accessories (excluding optics). Our retail operations in Hagerstown will conclude this Saturday at 5 pm. As we get settled in our new location we will be sure to let everyone know.
    We'd like to thank all of you for your patronage. We moved here in 2012 and were embraced by the local community. We've taken great pride in serving all of you. We will continue to offer great service and products in our new location in Hancock.
    For those of you with range memberships that are billed monthly, the billing has stopped. You will receive no more monthly charges. For those of you with prepaid yearly memberships, we will be in contact with you in the coming weeks. Also, if you have a gun on layaway we ask that you pick up your firearm within the next 30 days. And if you are waiting on your "not disapproved" email from Maryland State Police for a handgun purchase please give us a call and we will gladly schedule a time for you to come pick it up.
    Again, we thank everyone for the support we've received while in Hagerstown. We are excited to start this new chapter in our story and look forward to continuing to serve you for many years to come.

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    I've Been In Hendershot's Only A Few Times...

...but never bought anything there.
    I had been looking for a used Browning A-5 in 20 gauge. There were two of them in another shop, but I fiddle-farted around and both of them were sold before I could make up my mind to buy one. One was priced at $850, and the other at $899. Both of them were in 95% condition or better.
    So a couple of months later I found one at Hendershot's, and was reaching for my credit card when I noticed the price....$2900. That's right, Twenty-Nine Hundred Dollars.
    Condition-wise, it was virtually identical to the two I had seen at the other shop.
    That was my last stop at Hendershot's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom