• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Gc0Irup.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that "Buttstock Screw"... especially in a thread entitled, "What are the holes for?"

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Had to go to the manufacturer's web site for the full diagram.

Attachments

• tool_diagram.jpg
      tool_diagram.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 288

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    Best thread ever. Thank you. I still have no idea. Lol. I'm not convinced they are for hanging. Because none of those other holes or hooks can be used for hanging? I even saw one manufacturer answer the same question and said they were for "weight reduction". I don't buy that either. I just find it interesting that there are a few different designs that have those same three holes... But they are never mentioned or used.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    Okay....most plausible response I've seen yet. My buddy was also asking around, and someone told him that it was for bending gas tubes if you make your own. That also explains the chamfered holes. There would be no reason to chamfer if they are for weight reduction or hanging...
    cc298e1371eca0c25790100a29db1620.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Okay....most plausible response I've seen yet. My buddy was also asking around, and someone told him that it was for bending gas tubes if you make your own. That also explains the chamfered holes. There would be no reason to chamfer if they are for weight reduction or hanging...
    cc298e1371eca0c25790100a29db1620.jpg

I thinking someone just made that one up. I'm always willing to learn, but when bending a Gas Tube one needs something that grabs the Gas Tube evenly to prevent kinking the walls. The Mark Brown/Brownells Gas Tube wrench is a great tool for that. Sully at SLR Rifleworks also makes a vise block that does the same thing.

I have to bend Gas Tubes when installing a new Gas Tubes on older AR's with national match free float tubes. They require the older bend design to clear the float tube.

Bending is also necessary to make sure the Gas Tube floats in the Carrier Key without binding. IME, the M-Guns Tool is best for that, but some use screwdrivers and tools that damage the Upper Receiver or Gas Tube.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thinking someone just made that one up. I'm always willing to learn, but when bending a Gas Tube one needs something that grabs the Gas Tube evenly to prevent kinking the walls. The Mark Brown/Brownells Gas Tube wrench is a great tool for that. Sully at SLR Rifleworks also makes a vise block that does the same thing.

I have to bend Gas Tubes when installing a new Gas Tubes on older AR's with national match free float tubes. They require the older bend design to clear the float tube.

Bending is also necessary to make sure the Gas Tube floats in the Carrier Key without binding. IME, the M-Guns Tool is best for that, but some use screwdrivers and tools that damage the Upper Receiver or Gas Tube.

This is how you bend small diameter piping.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
      pipe.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads