• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    I did a little research on the walther P38K, it seem like there are 2 tone and blue one, is that correct? if yes, what is the different value between 2 of that. I am really confused. Thanks

Jul 1, 2012
    As far as I know the P.38K was only all-blue; some had wood grips.
    The slide has a matte finish and the frame is kind of semi-gloss so in certain light it may look like 2-tone like the attached pic.

The late-WW2 Mauser P.38's were dual-tone (light-ish grey phosphate frame & slide, blued barrel).
    I can't think of any post-war P1 or P38 variant that was a true factory two-tone off top of my head.

John Martz made a series of custom P.38's including short-barrel and "baby", maybe some of those were two tone?
    His guns bring a premium, typically run $3k to $10k.

Anyway if you can PM me a link to a two-tone P.38K or info thereof I'd be interested to see it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 226

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    As far as I know the P.38K was only all-blue; some had wood grips.
    The slide has a matte finish and the frame is kind of semi-gloss so in certain light it may look like 2-tone like the attached pic.

The late-WW2 Mauser P.38's were dual-tone (light-ish grey phosphate frame & slide, blued barrel).
    I can't think of any post-war P1 or P38 variant that was a true factory two-tone off top of my head.

John Martz made a series of custom P.38's including short-barrel and "baby", maybe some of those were two tone?
    His guns bring a premium, typically run $3k to $10k.

Anyway if you can PM me a link to a two-tone P.38K or info thereof I'd be interested to see it.

The picture you posted is the same as i have seen, it slightly looks like 2 tone. Thanks for your input

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    The picture you posted is the same as i have seen, it slightly looks like 2 tone. Thanks for your input

Also I noticed that in gun broker, one has a serial number and made in Germany on the lower, the other doesn't. Anyone know why?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Also I noticed that in gun broker, one has a serial number and made in Germany on the lower, the other doesn't. Anyone know why?

Interpreting the roll-marks on Walther pistols is almost a hobby unto itself but, it looks like the one you're referring to: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772160566 was imported to the USA via Interarms. See the big 'Interarms Alexandria, VA' import mark on the right side of the slide? The 'Made in Germany' was most likely added to the frame by Interarms at the same time they splayed their mark on the slide. The other two (of the 3) P-38k's currently listed on GB for $3500+ do not appear to have import marks on the slide. There's probably a good chance they were brought back from Germany by someone who got them via the Rod & Gun Club on a US military base in Germany.

Generally speaking, guns without import marks are more desirable than one's that are import marked. There are exceptions, though. Considering that Walther built only 2600 P-38k's, I don't think it makes much difference. I just think the import mark is unsightly.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Interpreting the roll-marks on Walther pistols is almost a hobby unto itself but, it looks like the one you're referring to: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772160566 was imported to the USA via Interarms. See the big 'Interarms Alexandria, VA' import mark on the right side of the slide? The 'Made in Germany' was most likely added to the frame by Interarms at the same time they splayed their mark on the slide. The other two (of the 3) P-38k's currently listed on GB for $3500+ do not appear to have import marks on the slide. There's probably a good chance they were brought back from Germany by someone who got them via the Rod & Gun Club on a US military base in Germany.

Generally speaking, guns without import marks are more desirable than one's that are import marked. There are exceptions, though. Considering that Walther built only 2600 P-38k's, I don't think it makes much difference. I just think the import mark is unsightly.
    That makes sense. Thanks ZzzzzMan

Jul 1, 2012
    601867 that's in the link above is weird. It has multiple import marks; the Interarms rollmark on the slide and also hand-stamped on the frame.
    The "Made in Germany" on the slide may have been added later, as it says Germany vice West Germany.
    Maybe it was re-imported (the hand-stamp on frame says "W. Germany").

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    601867 that's in the link above is weird. It has multiple import marks; the Interarms rollmark on the slide and also hand-stamped on the frame.
    The "Made in Germany" on the slide may have been added later, as it says Germany vice West Germany.
    Maybe it was re-imported (the hand-stamp on frame says "W. Germany").

PKeefBk.jpg

The word, 'hinky' comes to mind. I've never seen '9 Para' as a proof mark on the barrel, either. It's usually the Eagle proof mark in that location, right?

Jul 1, 2012
    The 9 PARA is legit. 7.65 PARA (30 luger) is the shizzle though, very hard to find.
    The P4 / P38K markings are a little different than the standard P1 markings.
    (some P4's shown and a 70's commercial P.38 w/ eagles).

On P1/P38/P4 you'll also see the circle or circle with dot mark instead of the eagle (which might be an Eagle/N, or eagle/413, or?) as well depending on commercial vs. police vs. military, and what time period etc.
    Lots of interesting stuff to try to remember, and not nearly as well-documented as the WW2 markings.

Attachments

• 5a.jpg
      5a.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 130
    • DSC_0121.jpg
      DSC_0121.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 116
    • DSC_4525.jpg
      DSC_4525.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 147

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The 9 PARA is legit. 7.65 PARA (30 luger) is the shizzle though, very hard to find.
    The P4 / P38K markings are a little different than the standard P1 markings.
    (some P4's shown and a 70's commercial P.38 w/ eagles).

On P1/P38/P4 you'll also see the circle or circle with dot mark instead of the eagle (which might be an Eagle/N, or eagle/413, or?) as well depending on commercial vs. police vs. military, and what time period etc.
    Lots of interesting stuff to try to remember, and not nearly as well-documented as the WW2 markings.

This is what makes Walther-collecting both interesting...and maddening.

Jul 1, 2012
    Yes, they use the same magazine.
    P1, P38 (WW2 & post-war), P4, P38K all interchange.

The "correct" P38K magazine would be a commercial, polished blue with "P.38 9 mm" and the Walther logo on left side,
    but any would work.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Yes, they use the same magazine.
    P1, P38 (WW2 & post-war), P4, P38K all interchange.

The "correct" P38K magazine would be a commercial, polished blue with "P.38 9 mm" and the Walther logo on left side,
    but any would work.

Jul 1, 2012
    Here is one lucky person getting a Mauser P-38 with a holster for ~$500 plus fees, ::((

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/__BF8495BB5A

Not all that lucky (had to back-track to the original auction house web-site).
    Gun is pretty rough, and taking a gamble it has matching parts.
    Holster looks like some sort of post-war 1911-style shoulder holster missing the straps, mag pouch is broken at bottom.
    By itself the pistol is right around that bid unless it's got some hidden redeeming quality.
    Has a 1911 spare mag in the pic, so that may be something interesting if it actually comes with the rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom