• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    What's up guys' favorite make and model of this type?

In the market soon. I have plenty of pump action so I'm looking to add a new style!

Last edited:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My wife loves her Benelli Legacy. It's a 20ga autoloader that's super easy for her to carry in the field (I can never believe how light that thing is when I pick it up), and the recoil operation has proven to be very reliable, and not at all punishing. It's a terrific operating system. Of course, she uses it on upland birds and various flying clay things. It's not tacticool, but it sure is a lovely gun.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    If you just want a regular semi-auto shotgun, I recommend the Browning Auto-5 or the less expensive Remington Model 11 (or one of the Savage-made copies). They are mechanical works of art, made from solid billets of steel, solid walnut, and high quality spring steel. They will outlast you, your children, and your children's children. I have a 1927 Model 11 that my grandfather got used in the 1940's. He used it until he traded it to my dad sometime in the 70's, and then traded back when he didn't like the Ithaca 37 he bought. He then used it until his passing in 1980's. My dad then used it until he retired it in the 1990's. I now have it and it's fully functional after at least tens of thousands of rounds through it. Shoots a slug like a rifle with a Full choke, to boot.

I also resurrected a 1923 Remington Model 11 that was in a basement for an undetermined amount of time. I originally wanted it for parts, but I found the bore to be excellent. However, the exterior of the barrel and receiver was completely covered in pitting and it was DIRTY inside. I also found that carrier spring was broken, probably the reason is was banished to a basement for decades. I bought a replacement spring on Sarco, installed it, performed a light cleaning of the action, and shot a slug through it. First shot: fired but the action jammed open (barrel and bolt). I got it closed and lubed with military LSA oil. Second shot and each one since, it has worked flawlessly.

IMO, the Auto-5 design is probably the most reliable semi-auto shotgun ever made. I would not want one if you want something tactical, but for just a semi-auto shotgun, you can't really go wrong if you understand how they work.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm a beretta fan, it's sleek, reliable, cycles really fast, and being a gas gun recoil is softer than inertia. I beat the hell out of my AL391, rarely clean it, and it just keeps going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom