• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I haven’t had much time to play with this, built the electronics part, did the programming and threw together the mechanical parts months ago.

It’s still a long way from being a finished product but it’s also one of those projects that can get lost do to “life getting in the way” if I don’t see some sort of progress.

The idea is to begin the sort by a 10 grain differential with those dropping into one of 10 bins, then take all from a single bin and change the resolution to 1 grain differential, then take all from a single bin and change to .1 grain resolution.

So in the end you can have brass sorted to the tenth of a grain without having to touch a single case.

Proof of concept and hopefully enough inspiration to finish it out when it cools off outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V_Hm3oqlO4&feature=youtu.be

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Very cool. I love it. Thank goodness it is not a high capacity brass sorter.

If it were, HB-223 would be along shortly to ban it.

Still very cool keep at it!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Think about a similar machine that could sort range brass by caliber. The feeding system would be something you could pour a bucket of assorted brass in and the weighing would be looking for an average weight +/- depending on caliber. Then each "caliber" would probably need re sorting for odd balls, just tighten up the weight specs in case .32's get mixed in with 9 mm's.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Nice work! What kind of scale are you using to get the data? How long does a piece have to be on the scale to get a stable reading?

I've considered doing something similar in the past but was planning a conveyor system that would ramp off into bins based on weight. It's a reliable low impact method used in lots of food packaging lines. Always more ideas than time. Glad to see someone actually making the things...

The things I wanted to do as well:
    - Counter for each bin
    - Weight range for each bin
    - Fast track system of go/no-go based on assigned weight range (for bench rest)
    - Sorter to feed correctly onto conveyor (exactly the same as progressives)

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Think about a similar machine that could sort range brass by caliber. The feeding system would be something you could pour a bucket of assorted brass in and the weighing would be looking for an average weight +/- depending on caliber. Then each "caliber" would probably need re sorting for odd balls, just tighten up the weight specs in case .32's get mixed in with 9 mm's.

You mean something that does what this does?

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Sorter...8&qid=1535478930&sr=8-1&keywords=shell+sorter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom