• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DENWA

May 5, 2008
    After a very disappointing season last year I'd like to get a large amount of AG lime for my~5 acres of food plots.

Mostly don't care about hunting as much as I'd like to have nice crops!

Just not much AG out my way in WV and I'm trying to grow some nice racks vs all the scrubs we normally see.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I assume your planting a mix or something? Clover and alfalfa are all good calcium producers.

I don't know where you are in WV? Any southern states or feed stores might carry it. My one neighbor works at the Hagerstown concrete plant. The waste from burning lime stone works great on fields. Farmers use it and he said a few people put it on their grass and swore they would never do it again after cutting the grass three times a week. I think it is free but you have to pay someone to haul it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    What’s your soil ph right now?

It takes tons per acre to adjust ph if it’s really low so you really need a test

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    What’s your soil ph right now?

It takes tons per acre to adjust ph if it’s really low so you really need a test

Don't know where to get a test by me. the AG extension closed 10 years ago

I'm out the Buckhannon WV way, but work in MD so its a weekend kind of place right now

Only thing that grows well is tobacco and briars.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

I'm out the Buckhannon WV way, but work in MD so its a weekend kind of place right now

Look into cover crops, permaculture, back to eden gardening using woodchips, regenerative farming...

All of these, and more, can get your land healed. Even as a weekend place.. plant cover crops and let them do the work while you're away... Permaculture also working while you are away... Woodchips can be dropped off by any local tree service or can start doing it on site yourself.. mulch everything around...

You can do your own testing.. penn state.. university of delaware.. an online kit via Amazon called Soil Saavy.. mail in tests are the norm..

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Not to mention GETTING IT BACK DOWN IF YOU OVERSHOOT IS NOT EASY AND COULD TAKE YEARS - Unknowingly, PEOPLE FVCK THEMSELVES UP EVERY YEAR with lime ...

Get. A. Test.

West (by God!) Virginia University offers free soil analysis to residents:
    https://extension.wvu.edu/natural-resources/soil-water/soil-testing

Thanks.

Will get a test but it says wait until summer for soil sample. Hopefully dry spring sample will be possible.
    The buy at WALMART test kit is a joke but says I'm like 4.5pH.

I tilled last 2 years and rye, wheat, oats grow but start to turn brown and die after a few weeks. Same with Beets, Peas and beans. Interweb says pH too low then they die as they absorb nutrients because they are toxic at low pH.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Yeah, I WOULDN’T READ TOO MUCH INTO THAT, man. You’re growing cover, not food crops for income, right?

Also, I will just observe that, like pruning, more damage is done by waiting or putting off soil tests than vice versa.

I’m a skeptical prick and it wouldn’t surprise me if they want samples sent in late summer and Fall so the full time paid employees can put 1st and 2nd year Ag students in charge of doing the testing. Or, at the very least, Ag profs can use the “interns” to satisfy curriculum and other educational reqts.

Personally, despite what it says about March, I couldn’t get my samples into them fast enough! If the soil is wet, scoop it onto a cardboard flat and let it dry out some, even if you need to take it home with you and Mail from MD.

When to Sample

Soil samples taken in late summer and fall are better than those taken in winter through early spring because they come closer to representing the soil’s nutrient status as it affects crops. Avoid taking samples when soil is wet or frozen because it will be difficult to handle and mix them. Do not take soil samples immediately after applying lime or fertilizer; wait several months or even longer if the weather is dry.

Send samples to a soil testing laboratory well before you need the recommendations. Allow about three weeks for the samples to be processed and the results to be sent to you. Samples sent to the laboratory between March and June may take longer to process. Avoid delays by sending samples between July and December.

ETA: if you really want to impact phos & potassium levels you’re gonna wind up doing split apps of fertilizer anyhoo. Much better to drop 50% and then another 50% a month later then all at one time. All other things being equal, there are exceptions.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

You can mail a sample in a zip lock bag to agrolab in Delaware. They will email you the results pretty quickly. I wanna say its $15-20 per sample. They will tell you exactly what fert or lime you need according to results. Not sure about bulk lime oit that way but most feed shops or tsc and southern states carry pelletized lime. If you have a pickup and can borrow a small trailer shouldn't be a problem to haul a couple tons.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

I send mine to a lab near Richmond va

Your sample should be taken in fall and be relatively dry

Tell them what you plan to grow do they can tell you not only how much lime but everything else down to micro nutrients

If your soil grows good tobacco your ph is probably fine. Tobacco likes it right around 6

More likely hour short nitrogen and phosphorus but a soil sample will tell you

I am sure you can get ag lime snd fertilizer in west va but you may have to pay a big haul and spread fee bug it’s worth it since if will be spread correctly

Edit
    Also on grain crops like wheat and rye , you plant them in the fall after another crop usually and fertilize them , usually mostly nitrogen , then you hit them in spring with another dose of nitrogen and many times a third hit is done. It takes a lotta nitrogen to grow grain or even hay. Most folks have no idea how much fertilizer is required

Last edited:

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    I send mine to a lab near Richmond va

Your sample should be taken in fall and be relatively dry

Tell them what you plan to grow do they can tell you not only how much lime but everything else down to micro nutrients

If your soil grows good tobacco your ph is probably fine. Tobacco likes it right around 6

More likely hour short nitrogen and phosphorus but a soil sample will tell you

I am sure you can get ag lime snd fertilizer in west va but you may have to pay a big haul and spread fee bug it’s worth it since if will be spread correctly

I'm probably going to plant RYE again and possibly more wheat just because they seem to grow at least a little. Really wish I could get Soy beans or something higher protien.

In total about 5 acres between 6 plots around the property.

I have 1 spot with beautiful black soil but nothing will grow there but marshy weeds.

the spots full of rocks and crushed sandstone seem to do better than low areas near the creek bed.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    West Virginia University Extension Service experts are located in every county in West Virginia, ready to offer research-based knowledge, tips and education to improve our communities.
    https://extension.wvu.edu/
    Scroll down to find your county on the map and click to find your agent.

For other states every county in the USA has a count Ag Agent you just have to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom