• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Damn, Zero knowledgeable opinions? The gun I'm looking at is truly a beaut but it has a very high price tag. He came down 200 for a cash deal, he seemed firm at that. :confused: The KKW is a rare bird.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Wow, serious arm twisting! I might have to pull the trigger for what he wants.

There are so many variables in determining the value of those rifles, I wouldn't be comfortable advising you in the pursuit. Hopefully, one of our more distinguished and knowledgeable collectors will be along shortly with an offer to assist.

I know that much of the value depends on condition, of course, along with production facility, date of manufacture, total production run, etc.

Jul 1, 2012
    Damn, Zero knowledgeable opinions? The gun I'm looking at is truly a beaut but it has a very high price tag. He came down 200 for a cash deal, he seemed firm at that. :confused: The KKW is a rare bird.

No offense but personally I don't open anonymous links.
    There was Zero info in the original post to help guide us :)
    The "like this one" can also be deceptive without seeing the actual rifle in question - who made it, year, markings, condition, originality etc. It's impossible to give any sort of informed opinion without more information about the specific piece and would do a disservice to the person asking to give that opinion.

But my advice would have been to look at Simpson site anyway. Bob Simpson literally wrote the book on these and is selling off his personal collection, much of which was used in the book. It is still available and well worth it if anyone is interested in collecting the .22 German trainers. Caution: it is fricken' Yuge.
    https://simpsonltd.com/training-rifles-of-the-third-reich-germany-c48063/

Jul 1, 2012
    There are so many variables in determining the value of those rifles, I wouldn't be comfortable advising you in the pursuit. Hopefully, one of our more distinguished and knowledgeable collectors will be along shortly with an offer to assist.

I know that much of the value depends on condition, of course, along with production facility, date of manufacture, total production run, etc.

LOL. I had stepped away before hitting submit, same-same...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    No offense but personally I don't open anonymous links.
    There was Zero info in the original post to help guide us :)
    The "like this one" can also be deceptive without seeing the actual rifle in question - who made it, year, markings, condition, originality etc. It's impossible to give any sort of informed opinion without more information about the specific piece and would do a disservice to the person asking to give that opinion.

But my advice would have been to look at Simpson site anyway. Bob Simpson literally wrote the book on these and is selling off his personal collection, much of which was used in the book. It is still available and well worth it if anyone is interested in collecting the .22 German trainers. Caution: it is fricken' Yuge.
    https://simpsonltd.com/training-rifles-of-the-third-reich-germany-c48063/

Say if someone did want a K98k-pattern .22 trainer for a shooter (vs collector), is there any certain model/manufacturer that's more common and less desirable to a collector than others? I know that I've often considered getting one but, I'm not very knowledgeable about what's out there.

Jul 1, 2012
    Me neither. The listings on Simpson might help. There are a couple below $1200 on there.
    Those guys are very savvy so if one is a lot less than the others, there's a reason!

here's a classic comparison of a DSM-34, one $700 the other $4500
    https://simpsonltd.com/geco-dsm-34-trainer-d15908/
    https://simpsonltd.com/franz-schmidt-dsm-34-trainer-d6244/

I think the Geco is "cheap" because it's a commercially-sold model (plus a mis-matched bolt).
    That would probably be a good shooter.

They made a conversion kit for the K98 but that's more expensive than the dedicated rifles IIRC.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Me neither. The listings on Simpson might help. There are a couple below $1200 on there.
    Those guys are very savvy so if one is a lot less than the others, there's a reason!

Part of the vast pricing differences on Simpson's site also depends on whether it's a gun THEY picked up and are selling, or if it's part of one of the consignment lots they're selling.

Jul 1, 2012
    Both of those are Simpson guns I believe. The consignment guns start with a "C" and theirs a "D" or "Z" if I'm decoding right.
    A lot of time the consignments are higher than market because the guy wants to get market in his pocket and they charge 20%.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm available to help you value a KKW but there's info to be gathered for an accurate appraisal.
    1.) Condition. The usual; sporterized or original, over-all condition of furniture and metal, matching numbers, etc.
    2.) Manuf. - There were 4 manufacturers of the KKW: Mauser, Walther, ERMA and BSW/Gustloff. I've never seen an ERMA KKW, they're that rare in the US. So an ERMA would command a premium over the other 3 manuf.
    3.) Special marks - If it's marked to a specific organization like the RAD, SA, SS, etc. it can significantly add to the value.
    4.) Accessories - An original KKW sling adds considerably to the value. Ditto for really rare stuff like German period optics.
    Buy Bob Simpson's Training Rifles of Third Reich Germany if you're serious about adding a German trainer to your collection. German trainers are expensive and Bob's book is a monster filled with information for a pittance IMHO. Spend under $100 to save tons (Amazon has it listed along with Simpsons). Grab it now because once this sells out you'll pay a fortune for a copy and beat yourself up for missing out on a bargain.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Still planning to go tomorrow if I can negotiate a bit more, this thing is unaltered and 95 - 98% easy. It's in Tennessee so the 9% tax stings.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Verify that it's not refinished and is matching if they're asking top dollar. I would swag an original, VG condition KKW at around $1000-1200, excellent condition in the $1400-1500 vicinity. Price gets a good $500 or more bump with SA, SS, RAD, etc marks (watch for fakes!!!).

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Couldn't get out today, nobody in, nobody out river is up 20 feet and still rising. Not as bad as last year so far (Pictured) but the road is closed.

Attachments

• IMG_3318.JPG
      IMG_3318.JPG
      60.2 KB · Views: 69
    • IMG_3349.JPG
      IMG_3349.JPG
      65.7 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member