• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've started thinking about this today, I never buy optics. Always shot irons. But the wife got a look through a red dot and now wants one badly for her .22 AR.

How can I tell if a sight will cowitness with the fixed front sight post on the rifle? I've been looking and never see height information listed, just says "cowitness" much of the time. I realize this isnt needed but I just prefer the idea of the dot roughly landing on the front sight post.

This was appealing based on price alone

https://www.jgsales.com/sig-sauer-r....html?osCsid=ec69d88c5ba86d9720794a6877ef99ac

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I've started thinking about this today, I never buy optics. Always shot irons. But the wife got a look through a red dot and now wants one badly for her .22 AR.

How can I tell if a sight will cowitness with the fixed front sight post on the rifle? I've been looking and never see height information listed, just says "cowitness" much of the time. I realize this isnt needed but I just prefer the idea of the dot roughly landing on the front sight post.

https://www.jgsales.com/sig-sauer-r....html?osCsid=ec69d88c5ba86d9720794a6877ef99ac

The Romeo 5 is about the same price and a better option at various places like Joe Bobs.

My Romeo 5 co witnesses perfectly with standard back up sights. In other words, it's in line with the back up sights.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The Romeo 5 is about the same price and a better option at various places like Joe Bobs.

My Romeo 5 co witnesses perfectly with standard back up sights. In other words, it's in line with the back up sights.

You mean flip up sights?

This rifle has a fixed front and a removable carry handle rear sight. IIRC the flip up rears align with fixed fronts so that should work.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Vortex also makes great red dots at the ~$100 price range if you can live without shake awake. Their lifetime warrenty is much better than Sig's 5 year warrenty.

Edit: Or they at least used to, it seems their cheaper red dots have been discontinued.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    You mean flip up sights?

This rifle has a fixed front and a removable carry handle rear sight. IIRC the flip up rears align with fixed fronts so that should work.

Correct. Then it should work fine assuming the front sight isn't out of alignment for some reason.

That Romeo 5 works really well and the Holosun option is essentially the exact same thing at Joe Bobs. I've used both and they are excellent. Both have shake awake technology and a 50,000 hour battery life.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

2.6" above bore / 1.4" above rail is co-witness, 2.8" above bore / 1.6" above rail is lower 1/3, most sights will be close to that.

Agreed with others, the ROMEO5 is FAR better, same field of view, better controls, more compact size, better mount, more common batteries and longer life. The Romeo5 X versions with the AAA battery(in the mount) is even slimmer, with a more common/cheap battery and longer life, worth the $30 difference IMO.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    2.6" above bore / 1.4" above rail is co-witness, 2.8" above bore / 1.6" above rail is lower 1/3, most sights will be close to that.

Agreed with others, the ROMEO5 is FAR better, same field of view, better controls, more compact size, better mount, more common batteries and longer life

This is good solid info, I appreciate numbers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom