• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    To round out my gun safe, I've longed to trade in my crappy, Norinco 98 for something shorter and made in the US.

As a Navy man, I'm partial to the Mossberg 500 but my house is *tight* and this is for home defense. I rather like the Kel-Tec KS7.

My only question- Is it legal in Maryland? Is it too short? (yeah, I know, don't take legal advice from the forum)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I got rid of it because I really always intended to get the KSG25 and finally got one. Shot the KS7 once, with 3" slugs it was the most painful gun I've ever fired because it's so light. Super compact and nice design though it was very handy. I imagine shooting it with a more tame cartridge would make it much more appealing.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, good to know. I was going to use 2-3/4 shells in it. The interior walls in my house are practically paper. I'm finding them for near MSRP in places...and stupid prices in other places.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I paid 450ish for mine pre-panic IIRC

If you're back up the house again sometime you're welcome to handle my KSG25 as well. It's a heavy gun

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I paid 450ish for mine pre-panic IIRC

If you're back up the house again sometime you're welcome to handle my KSG25 as well. It's a heavy gun

My Navy buddy has one. I've checked it out. It's the reason why I'm interested in this line in the first place. Being former military, I don't normally get all breathy over black, tacticool looking guns but this thing is appropriate for the task.

If someone's in my house, I can't be humpin' Jed Clampett's quail gun around the corners.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 29in OAL thing is for Semiauto , Centerfire * RIFLES * . The only no-no thing for shotguns is revolving cylinders , and Streetsweaper by name .

So Kel Tec shotguns are good to good , if you so desire .

( I prefer my shotguns to be shotguns , with normal stocks and 18- 22 inch bbls , but that's Me .)

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    The 29in OAL thing is for Semiauto , Centerfire * RIFLES * . The only no-no thing for shotguns is revolving cylinders , and Streetsweaper by name .

( I prefer my shotguns to be shotguns , with normal stocks and 18- 22 inch bbls , but that's Me .)

I hear you. This thing isn't for shooting clays. The Norinco can do that.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are cool as hell, but were in high demand from the day they hit shelves, so good luck finding one. I have handled and shot one, and with managed recoil slugs and birdshot they aren't any worse than a pump of similar weight. I was able to snag a RDB defender, but probably going to wait till I can get a KS7 for sane prices. Like KTs other bullpups, they are massively innovative, tough, fun, unique, have good triggers made excellent with an Mcarbo kit. I do like the rail/RDS on my buddies over the factory carry handle by a mile. The only downside is a little awkward handling, a few rough mold seams, and it's a solid design that should be reliable, but they throw a couple bonehead parts in and a couple cheap stamped parts that don't inspire confidence. IMO it's a unique toy, definitely worth the money if you can get one, but I wouldn't bet my life on one.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Honest question

So I can build what would be considered an sbr with centerfire but with rimfire and it would be gtg?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A Rimfire ( or non-semiauto centerfire rifle) with less than 16 in bbl OR less than 26in OAL is still SBR under Federal Law , requiring Tax Stamp, etc . They simply aren't prohibited under Maryland Law

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Where else should I be looking for one of these shotguns besides Gun Broker?
    There are plenty on that site, but with shipping and FFL, they are a tad more expensive than I'd prefer to pay.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd never seen this gun until you posted this thread. I don't need one, but they're cool.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Super light very maneuverable. But that small package comes with a recoil price. I do wish Kel Tec would make their polymer feel more "solid"

Of all the guns I've ever fired, 12 ga shotguns are my absolute favorite. I really like the innovation that Kel Tec has put into their guns but I agree that they still feel flimsy to me. That isn't confidence inspiring when we're talking about recoil.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Of all the guns I've ever fired, 12 ga shotguns are my absolute favorite. I really like the innovation that Kel Tec has put into their guns but I agree that they still feel flimsy to me. That isn't confidence inspiring when we're talking about recoil.

On this specific firearm I felt that the carry handle felt and looked flimsy and the actual forend felt less than solid. I'd prefer they skipped their carry handle and put a rail on it like the other shotguns in that line. A heavier forend may not be necessary as well but would "feel" better

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    On this specific firearm I felt that the carry handle felt and looked flimsy and the actual forend felt less than solid. I'd prefer they skipped their carry handle and put a rail on it like the other shotguns in that line. A heavier forend may not be necessary as well but would "feel" better

I really need Glock to build a shotgun. I don't care if it looks like a long brick with a handle. I'm used to their plastic. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom