• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    After years of using the normal single catch havaheart traps my father switched to a Squirrelinator multi catch trap. IT IS AMAZING. Some days he will catch 4 squirrels in the trap several times. It seems that after you catch one the others get jealous and they all run in. Pellet gun from a few meters away takes care of them after that.

That looks pretty cool...thanks!

OP: My grandfather had the same issue with one of his cars. After replacing his third fuel line, he said F it and sold the car for a newer one.

You will never eliminate all the squirrels, and my grandfather has been trying for 50 years.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    The battle continues casualty report:

Allies
    All four hoses radiator and heater
    Timing sensor wires most likely mice
    Knock sensor wires most likely mice
    Azek trim on house
    Porch Column base trim
    Wood fence finials
    Pool filter cartridge

Axis Powers
    294---SQ they never stop coming
    10----Ground Hogs
    13----Raccoons
    ??----Mice

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The battle continues casualty report:

Allies
    All four hoses radiator and heater
    Timing sensor wires most likely mice
    Knock sensor wires most likely mice
    Azek trim on house
    Porch Column base trim
    Wood fence finials
    Pool filter cartridge

Axis Powers
    294---SQ they never stop coming
    10----Ground Hogs
    13----Raccoons
    ??----Mice

Be aware of the moles.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Bioadvance Complete Insect Killer takes care of grubs, which tends to keep the mole count down. I also have a fox or two that seem to be on my side and run regular patrols for the smaller rodents.

The foxes around my house seem to like the squirrels that are tossed over the fence.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    We'll be picking up the wife's Accord later today from Annapolis Honda. They replaced vacuum and fuel lines the squirrels chewed through.

I went out to the car last Friday, smelled gas, didn't think much of it as a large, old work truck was idling not far away. Started the car and then really smelled gas. Popped the hood and there was a fountain of gas spraying all over the engine compartment!

I picked up a bottle of "Squirrel Mace" to hose the car with, hopefully that helps. The squirrels have gotten cagey. As soon as I appeared on the deck with the wrist rocket they all seem to have disappeared. But ... it's Game On, MF's!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    We'll be picking up the wife's Accord later today from Annapolis Honda. They replaced vacuum and fuel lines the squirrels chewed through.

I went out to the car last Friday, smelled gas, didn't think much of it as a large, old work truck was idling not far away. Started the car and then really smelled gas. Popped the hood and there was a fountain of gas spraying all over the engine compartment!

I picked up a bottle of "Squirrel Mace" to hose the car with, hopefully that helps. The squirrels have gotten cagey. As soon as I appeared on the deck with the wrist rocket they all seem to have disappeared. But ... it's Game On, MF's!

I always feel a little bad for the ones that just sit there when I come out with my air rifle, however, it's easier than trying to track them through the trees and hope they stop for a second. After they've been shot at they tend to take off at the sound of a stick breaking. I like it when I pull up and the squirrels take off running it shows they have a little respect at least.

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    We had squirrels in the Spring that got into our attic and were mating (no mattress spring noises, but shuffling around and you could hear all the ruckus from our bedrooms)... what a crazy mess that was. I ended up ordering the traps. We put peanut butter w bird seed in the trap and it worked well. We caught 3 of them. drove them far away b/c my daughters did not want me to kill them. So drove them pretty far out and let them go.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Bioadvance Complete Insect Killer takes care of grubs, which tends to keep the mole count down. I also have a fox or two that seem to be on my side and run regular patrols for the smaller rodents.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I have found that one heavy late spring application of Grubex, and a couple heavy applications of Sweeney's mole repellent have been keeping my Korean neighbor's moles at bay. Thank Gawd. :bowdown:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    We had squirrels in the Spring that got into our attic and were mating (no mattress spring noises, but shuffling around and you could hear all the ruckus from our bedrooms)... what a crazy mess that was. I ended up ordering the traps. We put peanut butter w bird seed in the trap and it worked well. We caught 3 of them. drove them far away b/c my daughters did not want me to kill them. So drove them pretty far out and let them go.

I have heard that peanut butter and copious amounts of ex lax can make them sh*t themselves to death. Personally I’d much rather drill them with a suppressed .22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have heard that peanut butter and copious amounts of ex lax can make them sh*t themselves to death. Personally I’d much rather drill them with a suppressed .22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My .22 Diana 54 runs 16.2gr projectiles going 790fps. I used to shoot a .177 but the pellets would go right through and the squirrel would get away. The .22s hits a lot harder and an air rifle is not a firearm so there are some advantages there. I also have a suppressed .22 but a 42gr going 950 has a lot more energy and I get worried about over penetration while shooting into trees or off of fence tops.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Give peppermint oil a try. I live out in the country and that keeps the mice, chipmunks, and squirrels away from my machinery. For sport, I have a FA/suppressed 10/22 that I use with CCI subsonic copper washed segmented hollow points. They generally do not know which direction to run. Oh, and F'ing chipmunks are the worst.

BigBang

Dec 10, 2011
    Worked for a farmboy....

Long ago, in my youthful days, spending summers on my uncle's farm, my uncle had a problem with squirrels in the attic. He applied a time-proven technique: he shot one (.22 pump action something or other) then left the carcass with some freshly fired, spent casings (for the gunpowder scent) in the attic. No other squirrels ever returned. Not sure how this would work under a vehicle, but it's still a fun memory.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My .22 Diana 54 runs 16.2gr projectiles going 790fps. I used to shoot a .177 but the pellets would go right through and the squirrel would get away. The .22s hits a lot harder and an air rifle is not a firearm so there are some advantages there. I also have a suppressed .22 but a 42gr going 950 has a lot more energy and I get worried about over penetration while shooting into trees or off of fence tops.

Only if the advantage is lower overall energy so less over penetration and/or risk to things down range.

Air guns are considered firearm by DNR as well as many county ordinances covering discharge of a firearm. Even if purchase wise and according to the ATF they aren’t firearms.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Only if the advantage is lower overall energy so less over penetration and/or risk to things down range.

Air guns are considered firearm by DNR as well as many county ordinances covering discharge of a firearm. Even if purchase wise and according to the ATF they aren’t firearms.

Air guns are considered air guns by the DNR. They may be used during firearm season though.

•An air gun is defined as any gun that propels a projectile by means of non-ignited compressed air or other gas. Projectiles include bullets, arrows or bolts.

Even the county codes "I read" call air guns, air guns. They just fall under the same restrictions and laws as firearms. Semantics I know.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Air guns are considered air guns by the DNR. They may be used during firearm season though.

•An air gun is defined as any gun that propels a projectile by means of non-ignited compressed air or other gas. Projectiles include bullets, arrows or bolts.

Even the county codes "I read" call air guns, air guns. They just fall under the same restrictions and laws as firearms. Semantics I know.

Important semantics, but the result though is the same in terms of allowable uses/places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom